SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Beneteau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/)
-   -   Beneteau First 42 Manual (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/83046-beneteau-first-42-manual.html)

Letrappes 01-24-2012 11:17 AM

Beneteau First 42 Manual

I purchased a Beneteau First 42 in December and am looking to find a manual for it. I have tons of paperwork in the boat but it was not included. I called the factory and they sent me a couple brochures but don't have a manual. Does anyone know where I might find one? I'm specifically looking for technical details such as how it was originally wired, plumbing runs, standing and running rigging specs, etc.

RandyonR3 02-18-2012 12:45 PM

If anyone would have one , if available, I would think that Scott on HyLyte would either have one or knbow where one would be..
you might drop him a message..

We're in the process of installing a new sole and upholstery throu-out.. If I can be of any help, give me a shout..
By the way, congrats on the purchase.. you'll love it..
Randy

Letrappes 02-18-2012 01:51 PM

Thanks! How do I get in touch with him?

I'm going to replace the headliner in the future as well. What are you going to do to it? My current projects are a new stereo system, keelbolts, bottom job and standing rigging. Its a lot but after that I think most of the remainder will be easy.

RandyonR3 02-18-2012 08:52 PM

Do a search for FIRST 42 and S/V HyLyte will come up.. just send him a private message..
as fare as upholstery work. we've done the aft bathroom.. stripped all that was covered with vinyl and epoxied burlap to the sides and recovered a new piece of ply with burlap for the top.. the shelves are gon as origional and installed two shelves and a cabinet front.. new sink in a granet style with a stinless bowl.. ..
next is the quarter berth as the vinyl has fallen.. hopes are we can use a slow curing resen and apply a good quility upholstery fabric..
We pulled the origional vinyl in the main cabin and replaced a yer or so ago..

because we own a canvas and upholstery shop, we have the products to play with ..

Letrappes 02-21-2012 11:17 PM

If you get a chance, post a pic of what you've done. I don't like the storage in either head so I'd like to see what is possible.

svHyLyte 02-22-2012 03:29 PM

Hey Guys... I've been out'a touch for a few weeks due to a death in the family and consequential travel etc. Randy, thanx for the compliments. We've compiled lots of documents/history/technical background on the yacht but no "manual" per se.

Letra--the First 42 was/is a pretty sophisticated yacht such that most people that bought them originally (i.e. when new) really already knew what they were doing and didn't need much instruction. There was a "check list" on the engine (a Perkins 4-108) that reflected the test out and delivery of the engine and, of course, the Perkins operator's and maintenance manuals. We have all of the documents that were originally included with our boat at the time of the original sale and purchase (in our case in Europe), including the manufacturer's user guides for the equipment that was included--hot water heater, pumps, etc--that still remain on the boat today but they are in French since the yacht was delivered in Europe.

If you have specific questions Randy and I and a few others may be able to help you. Randy has done some pretty impressive up-grades on R3 so he's got the milage with that kind of thing. But let us know what you need and someone is sure to be able to help.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte

caffeine x 02-26-2012 09:21 PM

Hi All, so happy to find this forum. We also just purchased a 1984 Beneteau First 42 in November so slowly working through her 'issues' and are ready to launch next week to 'finally' give her some sea room. This is a big step from a Tayana 37 so we are quite excited to see the performance and test ourselves in sailing this type of thoroughbreed. Our sea trial was sadly lacking in the wind department. I am also interested in some interior view shots and ideas on replacing head liners and the cabin sole, this one is quite worn out and saggy.
Cheers and I am sure I will also have a million questions in the coming weeks and months.
Lee-Ann & Henry
s/v Caffeine x

Letrappes 02-28-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks Hylite. I bought the boat off a guy who was refitting with the intention of sailing around the world. It was in a general disarray due to this though a solid boat. I took it out this weekend and pretty much singlehanded other than docking the trip from the dock to the gulf twice which is roughly 30 miles each way. Thanks to the autopilot, I can trim, furl and reef without help which is great. I really like how fast it is and loved having to reef the sails in order to keep from overtaking a large freighter and tugs in the narrow channel. That's a wind shadow I don't want to go through. The girl loves that I can run the boat alone while she enjoys the sun and some fishing.

Does anyone know a logical order for the lines running on the cabin top to the clutches? I had to run most of them but am trying to figure out if the outhaul, Vang and reefs might have been run there originally. I currently have the Genoa and two spin halyards, main halyard and sheet running aft in the eight slots.

Would any of you be near Lake Charles? There's a Beneteau First 42 on my dock but I've never seen the owner.

svHyLyte 02-28-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letrappes (Post 837908)
Thanks Hylite. I bought the boat off a guy who was refitting with the intention of sailing around the world. It was in a general disarray due to this though a solid boat. I took it out this weekend and pretty much singlehanded other than docking the trip from the dock to the gulf twice which is roughly 30 miles each way. Thanks to the autopilot, I can trim, furl and reef without help which is great. I really like how fast it is and loved having to reef the sails in order to keep from overtaking a large freighter and tugs in the narrow channel. That's a wind shadow I don't want to go through. The girl loves that I can run the boat alone while she enjoys the sun and some fishing.

Does anyone know a logical order for the lines running on the cabin top to the clutches? I had to run most of them but am trying to figure out if the outhaul, Vang and reefs might have been run there originally. I currently have the Genoa and two spin halyards, main halyard and sheet running aft in the eight slots.

Would any of you be near Lake Charles? There's a Beneteau First 42 on my dock but I've never seen the owner.

On our boat, the lines are, from Starboard to port at the aft end of the coach roof:

Starboard Side of Companionway:

Foreguy (or tack line for asymmetrical when rigged)--Solid Blue;
Secondary Jib Halyard--Blue with White Tracers;
Main Halyard--Marked with 1st, 2nd and 3rd Reef Points--Green w/White Tracers;
Vang Down-haul--White with Green Tracers

Port Side of COmpanionway:

Mainsheet--Green with white tracers;
Secondary Main Halyard--White with Green Tracers;
Spinnaker Pole Topping Lift--Red with Blue Tracers;
Primary Jib Halyard--Blue with White Tracers;

At the Mast:

The Primary Spinnaker Halyard--Black with Red Tracers--is led to the Starboard Deck winch;
The Secondary Spinnaker Halyard--Black with Red Tracers--is led to the Port Deck winch;

At the boom, from starboard to port:

1st Reef--Red with White Tracers;
Main out-haul--White with Green/Black Tracers;
2nd Reef--White with Red Tracers;
3rd Reef--White with Blue Tracers (we normally only rig the 3rd reef when we're taking the yacht off-shore);

Our Running Backs are 1/4" Spectra with the covers stripped off for all but the last 15 feet and are passed through turning blocks at pad-eyes on the quarters and led to the secondary winches. When we need the runners, we don't need the Secondaries for the Spinnaker Sheets/After Guys. When Running off we also lead preventer lines from the boom end to snatch-blocks on the lee toe-rail adjacent to the Chain plates and then back to the secondaries via the top sheaves on the foot-blocks adjacent to the Primaries. This holds the boom in place and allows us to fit a snatch block on the boom end to take the jib sheet to get a fair lead on the jib. I rig a trip line to the snap shackle on the snatch block and the back along the boom to the mast so I can simply haul on the trip line and pop the shackle free at the boom end that frees the sheet and lets the snatch block run down the sheet to the deck to the fair-lead where it can be removed easily.

FWIW...

Letrappes 02-29-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks again. That's what I was looking for. I'm missing a secondary main and jib halyard so will have to rig those in the future when I go up the mast. Also, when you say secondary jib halyard, is that masthead or down lower? I have two sheaves below the streaming light on the mast. One is a few inches above the other and neither are direct centerline. One i'm sure is for the spinnaker pole lift. The other I believe is for a staysail or storm jib which can be rigged on my removable inner forestay. I'm wondering if this it's what you mean by secondary jib halyard. I was thinking to raise a second jib on the foil I would use the secondary spinnaker halyard before I peeled the first away.

I like how you've run the checkstays. Mine currently has a four to one fiddle system in place and I was thinking of going to the way you suggested which is how we ran an Express 37 I raced on. One tackle would go to the foreguy and the second could go to the boom preventer.

Do you still have the Perkins 4.108 in it?