Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012
Pirate Chief

Paddyd is on a distinguished road
Oceanis 38 to buy or not to buy

I looked at an Oceanis 38 over the weekend and fell in love with it .
I have never sailed a beneteau before ....please tell me your thoughts good and bad on the boat and quality .......
I can only find a couple minor problems with the boats
what are your thoughts on this ????
In the forward V berth and the double stern cabins there is material covering the hull that has peeled off
it seems from moisture/ sweating on the inside of the hull
does anyone else have this problem ????
the opening ports ....leak just a bit around the black lip seal ...I was thinking cleaning them with vinager and water solution would clean the rubber and then that should stop the dripping ......and ideas ????
tks Paddy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: Oceanis 38 to buy or not to buy

Sail it!
Shoal keel = doesn't point as well
In mast furler = doesn't point as well

Was it a charter?
How do you plan to use it?
Is stuff obsolete? Worn?
Old 12-11-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyd View Post
I looked at an Oceanis 38 over the weekend and fell in love with it .
I have never sailed a beneteau before ....please tell me your thoughts good and bad on the boat and quality .......
I can only find a couple minor problems with the boats
what are your thoughts on this ????
In the forward V berth and the double stern cabins there is material covering the hull that has peeled off
it seems from moisture/ sweating on the inside of the hull
does anyone else have this problem ????
the opening ports ....leak just a bit around the black lip seal ...I was thinking cleaning them with vinager and water solution would clean the rubber and then that should stop the dripping ......and ideas ????
tks Paddy
Every older Beneteau, will eventually have the sagging liners. Some of the newer boats they seem to be using hard gelcoat instead. The older style head liners have a foam backing that breaks down over time and sags. It is a nasty job to scrape it off and some just smooth it out and paint, others put up other materials.

They do seem to make a quality boat for sure though. I have looked at a few, and have liked all I looked at. Check keel bolts carefully as most have a cast iron keel, and replacing them is a chore. (this was a deal killer on one I looked at) cast iron keels have advantages and disadvantages, so it is not out just in it self, just requires some extra diligent maintenance.
Old 12-11-2012

dugsmith98 is on a distinguished road

I have the Oceanis 393, 2003 model year, and enjoy her a lot. I sail with little kids, and so need to be able to handle most of the tasks single handedly. The in-mast reefing is a bonus for that.
The bottom paint had some adhesion problems and was just flaking off in sheets. In 2010 I had to take all bottom paint off and sand blast the keel, then epoxy the entire bottom (4 coats) and then a few coats of bottom paint. Lot of work, but well worth it. Look closely at the adherence of the paint on the bottom.
I really do enjoy this boat, and sail with a family of 5, so the size is just right.
night0wl likes this.
Old 12-12-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

If you are looking for a good family coastal cruising boat, It will meet your requirements.
The statements above about roller furling main and wing keel our correct. She is not going to point well. I know from experience. We did convert out our main sail for when we give it a go at some long distance racing, so a good sail loft can make a non furling sail to work for special limited occasions.
Our head liner is solid, not fabric. It is nice that Benny provided access to points that have deck hardware installed, but it is very inconvenient if you want to add a piece of hardware in a different location.
We don't have material covering the exposed walls, ours are covered in veneered wood / fake wood paneling.
I am only speaking in general terms, I can not address the exact model as we sail a 361.

What year is the boat?
What model? I know you said Oceanis 38, but I thought that it wasn't until recently, say the past 6 years or so that they went with single digit model numbers. That being the case, I would not expect the liner material to be falling down already.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-12-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

paddy, leaking hatches and portlights are best fixed by replacing the gaskets. If you don't want to get adventurous, Beneteau can probably sell you replacements. Use Armorall or a similar product on the replacments and they will last much longer. Ignore them, and they'll fail similarly. Simple cleaning is not likely to help.

If the "wallpaper" was foam backed, foam often breaks down and crumbles over time and the only solutions are to clean (scrape/scrub with a brush, wire wheel, abrasive block) down to solid fiberglass, then put up a new material or paint it, install battens, etc. as you choose. You can use a permanent "headliner" type spray cement and try to glue the old stuffback up, but that's a kludge and often an ugly one.
Old 12-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Are we possibly talking about a 'Moorings' 38?.. one of the Beneteaus made expressly for the charter trade. Not all were sold into charter, but odds are. So another thing to look for is excessively high engine hours.

I have never liked that fabric headliner approach, it seems always to either lose its form and 'look' crappy, or decides to break down altogether and start separating. It's certainly possible to redo/replace it with something more attractive and practical, but it can be a big job. It would be a big issue for me as far as price negotiation.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-12-2012
Pirate Chief

It is 2000 Oceanis 381 ...engine hrs are around 400 hours ....thanks for all the insights , we are going to step back for several days and do some serious thinking
Is there anything that you feel we should pay closer attention to on this boat ?????
Old 12-12-2012
Pirate Chief

Oh yes this boat was never a charter boat ......2 owner boat ..... thanks for the insight on the liner ...this is something I can work around .......
tell me more about the keel bolts ???? what should I looking for ????
Old 12-12-2012
Pirate Chief

opps what should I be looking for on the keel bolts ?????

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.