Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013

jasn is on a distinguished road
How is the model year determined, and does it matter?

Hi,

I'm close to closing on a 35 foot (european made) sailboat here on the East Coast of the US. It's advertised as a 1991, however all of the official documentation, (US Coast Guard documentation), simply refer to it's build year as 1990. For example the current NVDC Certificate of Documentation has 1990 in the Year Completed field.

I emailed the manufacturer and received confirmation from a representative with the manufacturer's official brokerage, that the boat was made in 1990 and delivered to the US on the 06/19/90. They suggested it might not have been sold until 1991, as perhaps a reason why it was listed as a 1991. The USCG documentation is hard to decipher but it appears that the first sale of the boat is either 1993, or 1994.

So here's my questions;

1) How is the model year determined for a sailboat? (Also if it makes a difference if it's a US or European made boat)

2) If I complete the purchase of this boat, shouldn't I have the broker write up all of the documentation, (basically Bill of Sale), describing the boat as a 1990, and not a 1991? Since that's the only year listed anywhere relative to the boat in the official USCG documentation..

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by jasn; 09-10-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How is the model year determined, and does it matter?

I think it would the year the hull was moulded which is noted in the hull ID number. I think it is common for a boat to go into use the year after the hull is built. After 20+ years it hardly matters.
jasn (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013

BTW, the reason I ask is because of documentation. I'm buying the boat out of state and I will document it with the USCG NVDC. I didn't know if any year discrepancies between existing documentation and a bill of sale, would cause any issues.

Thanks..
Old 09-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Here's a link Boatpoker posted the other day.. may be helpful.

What is a HIN

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
jasn (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013

Thanks Faster,

That definitely confirms that this is indeed a 1991 boat. Decoding the HIN using the information from that webpage tells me that this boat was built in March 1990, for the 1991 model year. That would work out with the information I got from the manufacturer's broker rep, in that after it was built it was delivered to the US in June of 1990.

As a result of this information being in the HIN, I realize that I don't need to do anything regarding the documentation of the sale. (just wanted to check to be sure..)

Jason
Old 09-13-2013
winter crazy

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn View Post
BTW, the reason I ask is because of documentation. I'm buying the boat out of state and I will document it with the USCG NVDC. I didn't know if any year discrepancies between existing documentation and a bill of sale, would cause any issues.

Thanks..
I think it doesn't matter what you do. The boat has been CG documented and all info in that documentation stays with the boat as to records. The bill of sale should have the hull number and documentation number on the boat, that is all that matters.