Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009

jimmiebuchanan is on a distinguished road
Made it to La Paz, anyone need a boat?

I hope this isn't going to upset people or be against the rules, but I used this site a lot last year as my girlfriend and I had gotten it into our heads to go on a big sailing trip. We had never been on the ocean and neither of us had ever touched a sailboat. We lived in Portland at the time. Inside of a year we taught ourselves to sail from books and videos, bought and fixed up our boat (a 27 ft Newport from 1972), sold everything we owned, and quit our jobs. We then sailed from Portland, Oregon, down the whole west coast and around baja. We are currently anchored in La Paz. We never stayed at marinas, and anchored just about everyplace that is conceivable to do so (and some that aren't). We had the time of our lives and i wanted to thank anyone who helped me when I posted questions on here (I was the guy changing thru-hole valves while the boat was floating and other such crazy stuff). The whole way down we have met tons of people who wished they had stuck with the small boat they used to own. So, if you are planning a trip it's my opinion that you should absolutely strongly consider the smallest thing you can fit in and in my opinion you will have fun inversely proportional to the size of your boat. We have to return to Portland now, so we are selling our boat in La Paz. I would have loved when I was searching this site to find something like this, so i'm including a link to our craigslist ad. I hope that isn't bad manners on a forum. The ad has a bunch of photos and videos from our trip, though, so I thought people on sailnet might get a kick out of it. Thanks again.

27ft Newport Sailboat in Sea of Cortez
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2009

t4li3sin is on a distinguished road
So why dont you sail back? Seems to me you like the boat!
Old 04-29-2009

Unfortunately, we have to return to Portland very soon for a family obligation. We will miss our boat, but to tell you the truth we don't really even see ourselves as sailors. It's more something we wanted to spend a year doing because it's an awesome adventure to have. Now we are going to move onto other adventures. We are both musicians, so we are going to try to do something with a band probably. I just hope whoever gets our boat has a good time with it.
Old 05-11-2009

quietwriter is on a distinguished road
Have car, will travel

Jimmie,

I am delighted to find you here at Sailnet.com. I spotted your ad on Craigslist, and am very interested in a trade (your boat and mooring for my BMW 7-series for the drive back up to PDX). Is your offer still open?

Sincerely,

A quiet writer looking for a little tranquility in the Sea of Crotez

P.S. I am very grateful to the person who sent me a link to this thread. Thank you so much Brian.
Old 05-13-2009

Sorry it's already sold...

A guy who has a place in San Carlos bought our boat and is going to sail it up there in a couple weeks. Thanks for your interest, though.

Jimmie

PS- the only mooring you need in La Paz is a decent anchor
Old 05-13-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
quietwriter, there's plenty of available boats of all sizes in Mexico for decent prices.
Old 05-15-2009

quietwriter is on a distinguished road
Thank you jimmie and Charlie for your responses. Good to know.

Have a safe trip back to PDX jimmie!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

UPGardenr is on a distinguished road
Re: Made it to La Paz, anyone need a boat?

Six months you will never forget. Cheers
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Made it to La Paz, anyone need a boat?

Or 5 years, depending.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.