First sailboat for the West Coast of B.C. Vancouver, Canada. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009

Keith9c1 is on a distinguished road
Keith

Faster

Thanks again for your help

I didnít even think of the weight of the keel itself. Now itís a lot more clearer to me, to get a a fixed keel boat for the West Coast.

Well it looks like the Cal 22 seems to be the way to go.

There seems to be very little information on the Internet about the Cal 22

Would you have any idea why that is ?
( I found more infor on the Quebec made Mirage 24 )

I noticed the Cal 22 in Portland was really basic with no navigation or electronics aboard.
( maybe that was why is was reasonably cheap )

I have not taken sailing lessons yet, but I want to get this done first , before I even think about parting with my money for a sailboat.

But thinking these Cal 22ís are classed as day sailor/ weekender , and most of them might be just like the one in Portland.

What would be the basic navigation and electronic equipment I would need to buy ?

Thanks again Keith
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
That particular Cal was probably produced near the end of that era of Cal's existence.. perhaps not many were made. I'd expect there'd be a owner's group somewhere that may have more information. It is a nice looking boat, but pictures can be deceiving and it's imperative that you see it in person, and then if things look OK, get any boat properly surveyed prior to purchase.

Many first time buyers balk at the cost of a survey, but that cost is often recouped in the surveyor's findings of faults that can be used to renegotiate the price... also, insurance companies insist on a current survey in any event.

Since you're not at the buying stage yet, while you prepare continue to monitor the various boats-for-sale websites like Yachtworld to get a better idea of what's out there that may suit your needs. Don't get fixated too early on any particular model or make, but keep an open mind.

GPS technology is a wonderful thing, and we are all very quickly becoming over-reliant on it, esp as it has become so affordable. In reality it's quite possible to cruise successfully with paper charts, a depth sounder and a compass, and even with modern aids those are still required. Most of the piloting we do in BC is line-of-sight.. ie, we can usually see where we're trying to get to unless it's bad weather or foggy.

For your research re cruising BC, I'd suggest you look into the Dreamspeaker's cruising guides, the older but still useful Pacific Yachting's cruising guides by Bill Wolferstan, and perhpas the BC Marine Parks guide. Your local library may even have copies. Google Earth is also a good way to explore any part of the world, though resolution can be hit-and-miss in the more remote areas.

Enjoy the hunt... and the research... it's all part of the fun.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-29-2009

RachelFail is on a distinguished road
Cals

I have cruised from Seattle to Desolation Sound on a Cal 29, and my honest opinion is that you would be making a mistake not to buy a Cal. If your budget is smaller, check out a Cal 28 (they're not the prettiest, and you get the most boat for your buck). You could take it just about anywhere. Trust me, you don't want to go anywhere in a 22 foot boat in the winter months, the weather report isn't always right. Check out the Seattle-Tacoma craigslist.
Old 10-03-2009

adaptable23 is on a distinguished road
24 ft C&C Sharks rock

C&C Shark really rocks. Google how they are raced and sailed in Kingston Ont or in Europe for example. They very commonly win races.

Great boat to sail, very exciting. Good to stay on. People all over Europe have done great things with the C&C Shark 24. 1st Design of keel hull boat in Canada by Hinterholer. Said to be built like a TANK !!
Highly recommend ! Just check Craigslist. They are out there. Reasonably priced solid, built by C&C guys for racing. Bone dry abnd reasonable to by halyards and such for because they are rigged light like a dinghy so ......WAY less expensive than a larger Sailboat to by lines for or hardware. What more could you ask for ?
Have fun
Steve Victoria
Old 10-04-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptable23 View Post
C&C Shark really rocks.
Adaptable... are you still sailing a Shark?

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 10-04-2009

adaptable23 is on a distinguished road
Shark

Yes .Still sailing my Shark. Likely tomorrow night. I had dinner with the previous owner and he gave me heck for not "Staying on top of the sanding" like he did. I told him he did such a great job that it doesnt need it. : )
He still loves the boat I can tell.
I have lots of fun. Thank you
Old 10-21-2009

Question's again for Faster. First sailboat for west coast

Question's again for Faster. First sailboat for west coast

After thinking about this for a few weeks and doing more research for my first purchase , I'm starting to think a lot about safety now and wanting to get the right sailboat the first time.

What's your option if a picked up a Cal 20 ?

Below my budget , Lots of readily available info about them and spare parts on the Internet. I could buy one fairly cheap here on the West Coast , if I don't like it I haven't blown a lot of money away. If I do like it, they seem to be reasonably cheap to fixed up or upgrade to beef then up for coastal cruising.

Seem to be quiet safe , Ballast: 850 to 900 pounds Displacement: 2,040 pounds

( I have read it's almost impossible to capsize them )

Do you think this bulb and keel ratio nearly been half the displacement is the
key to the safety of the boat ?

Would you feel comfortable crossing the Georgia Strait in a Cal 20 as compared to the Cal 22 for sale ?

Keith.
Old 10-21-2009

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
A little Cal20 is on my list of possibles, seem a sturdy little boat, fairly easy to fix, not too expensive to moor and quite a few around (and cheap enough that if it sinks I've only lost a couple of grand ). My only concern would be lack of space/amenities should I want to spend a week cruising around the islands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2009
Just another Moderator

25 or so years ago the Jibset Sailing School in Vancouver had a whole fleet of Cal 20s - and offered a reward to any student who could knock it down - they never had to pay out!

Very stable, pretty solid boats, not nearly as "sexy" as your Cal 22 nor as roomy or as set up for overnighting, but certainly do-able if you're totally willing to "camp cruise". A boom tent would go a long way to making the boat more liveable.

But you're right, your investment would be minimal, you'd get a taste of the coastal cruising life. Fact is, if you took to it you'd be wanting to move up from your Cal22 soon enough.. you can reduce your initial investment until you inevitably move up later.

You'd want to keep an eye on the weather, as would anyone, but I'd have no qualms about crossing the strait in a (good condition) Cal 20. To tell you the truth, I've motored across the strait many more times than we ever 'white-knuckled" our way across so it's not quite the "bugaboo" many newbies make it out to be. Still it's a significant milestone when you're starting out.

Old 10-21-2009

Faster

When you say

I've motored across the strait many more times than we ever 'white-knuckled" our way across so it's not quite the "bugaboo" many newbies make it out to be.

I am not sure what you mean here , could you clarifiey this for me ( I haven't got the sailor talk lingo down yet )

I got one more question here too.

I've read that a lot of people like to buy these older 60's and 70's sailboats, because they say they where overbuilt.
They say the fiberglass is strong and thick due the new technology back in the 60's and 70's, and not knowing how thick to build then, they just went for the safety factor and overbuilt then. ( I also read this for the fiberglass on the mid 70's Mirage 24 )

Is this true ? and does it include the Cal 20 ?

Keith