Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
He's looking at 10k to purchase and 5k to refit according to his post.
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
[quote=bubb2;533228]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I will be doing a refit before I go offshore, and for peace of mind. Things like bedding deck hardware, standing rigging, plumbing and electrical just can't be trusted to previous owners. So there will definitely be a refit. I am planning on purchasing something in the 10k range. Before going offshore I will have probably spent another 5k on preparations. I will take a look at the vega 27s.[/quote

HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJS1Iw7lXk

I laughed so hard I my wife came over and read this thread.
Old 10-19-2009

I don't think it's all that unattainable. Maybe by your standards and maybe a bit by mine but not by everybody's. My CS27 cost 14,250 and I am spending probably another 15k or so. But I had some gear in storage from a previous boat such as Anderson 40st x2, Force 10 stove, Blue Seas electrical panel, Hood MPS, Garhauer solid vang and some other items. I'm not trying to scrounge but get what I think is the best I can get at a good price. But I could do without a lot of what I am installing and with a bit of scrounging could probably get by just fine. In my case except for a bit of welding I am doing all the work myself as I would guess that tager will be as well. Not everybody out there is spending the big bucks to make it happen.
Brian
Old 10-19-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
For serious offshore ventures (not coastal hopping) I can think off the top of my head of $7,500 worth of spares and safety equipment that should be on the boat.. That leaves little in his budget to make up grades to the boat.

2sd set of sails, working
Set of storm sails
SSB
EPIRB
engine spares, starter, alternator, etc.
Spare pump for each pump on board
Spare, Rigging, running
Spare, Rigging standing and all fittings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I don't know how you came toi $7,500 there.

2nd set of sails can be had used for about $1000
Storm Sails can be made for a small boat ~$1000
SSB is unnecessary
Engine spares come in the form of another outboard $500
There is one pump $150
Spare running rigging can be a spool of cheap nylon $100
Spare standing rigging $20 (I know some people)

Overall, for a boat this size, that is less than $3000, so I have no idea where your $7500 came from. Some people insist that sailing has to be expensive. It really doesn't. If you don't need an enclosed head, a shower, a life raft, an inflatable dink in davits with an outboard, and a TV, then you can sail for way cheap.
Old 10-26-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I don't know how you came toi $7,500 there.

2nd set of sails can be had used for about $1000
Storm Sails can be made for a small boat ~$1000
SSB is unnecessary
Engine spares come in the form of another outboard $500
There is one pump $150
Spare running rigging can be a spool of cheap nylon $100
Spare standing rigging $20 (I know some people)

Overall, for a boat this size, that is less than $3000, so I have no idea where your $7500 came from. Some people insist that sailing has to be expensive. It really doesn't. If you don't need an enclosed head, a shower, a life raft, an inflatable dink in davits with an outboard, and a TV, then you can sail for way cheap.

I do understand you have no idea where I came up with $7,500, which tells me you don't understand offshore sailing.

Never Forgotten

Old 10-26-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
A liferaft is real high on my list and cost real money

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-28-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
bubb2, I am surprised that you couldn't start a flame war in a more creative way. Obviously I know nothing about offshore sailing, I have never even been!

That still doesn't explain the $7,500 comment, which is what I was trying to hash out with my post.

So please, tell me how that list equals $7,500 or are you thinking of some other items?

About the liferaft. I am pretty sure that I am going to go for a life-dinghy. Part of the dream of moving up to a larger boat is being able to fit my dinghy onboard! I am currently using a 10' river kayak as a tender, while my 7'6" pram bobs against the dock in a very lonely fashion.

I think with some intelligent fitting out, a dinghy can make a fine life raft. This can be seen in the Portland Pudgy etc. I realize that there are some serious preparations that need to be made to have a dinghy in this state, but these could all be done before any ocean passage, so that the dinghy is ready to be deployed with a few quick releases.

I have noticed a culture on sailnet that is quite pervasive and pretty depressing. It is "the voice of experience" from the point of view of the members of this culture. It is "naysaying old farts" to the rest of us.

In a lot of threads, this "naysaying old fart" comes along and tells us what can't be done, how expensive it's going to be, and why we shouldn't even try.

Well, I'll try. So have fun sitting on your computer telling other sailors what they can't do!
Old 10-28-2009

tager
Here's a link to the website of mingming. This fellow doesn't just tell you what you need, he just does it. He has sailed to 70 north and to the Azores and back (from the UK). An interesting site from a country where a lot believe you don't have to be rich to cruise. An interesting site of a creative fellow.
Brian
Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming
Attached Thumbnails
Forever Boat-mingming.jpg  
Old 10-28-2009

Quote:
bubb2, I am surprised that you couldn't start a flame war in a more creative way.

Obviously I know nothing about offshore sailing, I have never even been!

In a lot of threads, this "naysaying old fart" comes along and tells us what can't be done

Well, I'll try. So have fun sitting on your computer telling other sailors what they can't do!
Tagar, I didn't start a flame war because most would agree that the list I made is minimal for off shore sailing.

As for this old fart. I been sailing for about twice as long as you have been alive. I have kids older then you that know more about sailing offshore. I hold a 100 ton Master of Oceans and for the last 15 years I been making my living delivering boats.

I have logged just about 100,000 offshore miles in those years. I have delivered everything from a 78 ft Palmer-Johnson to 30 ft Allied to the Islands. I do know what a well found and well equipped boat is and it has very little to do with size. I have also refused to deliver boats that I thought were not safe, one of which was lost by another less experienced delivery skipper.

If you look around Sailnet you will see that the people that know my reputation have very good things to say about me and my skills.

Why do you even come to Sailnet with that attitude. The attitude that you know it all. Why ask questions when you hold all the knowledge?

Quite frankly the name Ronnie comes to mind. He bought a boat and didn't know what he was doing and had to be rescued 300 miles offshore on his first voyage.

The Sea does not take kindly to those that are ill prepared.

Here's a news link from your part of the world. The boat was a 25 ft Coronado. No epirb, No single side band to call for help. No one knew about the trouble until the body washed ashore.

The Daily World

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 10-28-2009 at 06:07 AM.