Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009

bashmaki is on a distinguished road
Pocket cruiser ?'s

I've searched this site for entries on the Luger sailboat and found little good said about them. I was originally drawn to this Luger 22' because of the roominess of the wide cabin.
I am, exclusively, going to be sailing inland lakes in South Dakota and Minnesota. I plan on camping on the boat a lot. I will be trailering almost always.

My question is this. Is there another day sailer out there in this class with as much head room and berth room as this Luger 22.

The interior of this boat is rough which doesn't bother me. I can redo it like I want it. The outside is pretty nice for a boat this age.
However, if it is not a decent performing sailboat one could easily become disenchanted with sailing altogether and it will sit in the yard.

Camping on board is a big issue with me.
I want the most room I can come up with in a trailering package.
but I want to sail not flounder.

I looked at an old Catalina 21? I think or 22. It didn't trip my trigger. The interior was real cramped.

Thanks,
Gus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to look at some of the Compac boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-24-2009

I've taken a look at some Compacs since the above post was posted. I've also run into a boat called the C&C. They seem to have a great deal of room in the cabin for the size of the boat.

gus
Old 10-24-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The smallest C&C would be the 25 or their "Niagara" 24 model. Either would be a vastly better boat than the Luger, but you'll be paying more. The good news, though, is that when it comes time to sell you'll have far less trouble. However you've stated you'd be trailering, and neither of these are going to be "trailerable" boats.

In the 25 and under size space and headroom is going to be a problem. Any boat that size that offers a "great deal of room" and headroom will likely be fairly compromised in other areas, esp sailing performance (as an example look at, but DO NOT BUY, any of the Buccaneer line of small sailboats)

One of the roomier 25 footers would be a Bayfield 25 - a shoal draft (3 ft or less) full keeler that might be trailerable with a custom trailer. It's a cute little character boat but no rocketship either.

This site: Sailboats in Canada - 16' to 24' models should give you some food for thought in the size range you're thinking of.

Lugers were sold as kits and are primarily owner-finished so that's always a potential problem beyond their initial construction/design issues.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-25-2009

Faster,
Yes, thanks to this forum and some searching, I've already read less than favorable reviews about the buccaneer.
As far as performance is concerned; I'm not real sure if that is an issue with me. At least from the stand point of speed. Now from a handling stand point it would be an issue. I don't want a boat that is discouraging to sail because of a lack of responsiveness. I understand that the Luger is lacking in this area as well as others. My initial interest in the Luger was that of the roominess of the cabin on the smaller boats.
Also I don't have a lot of experience sailing either. That needs to be a consideration when buying a sailboat.
As far as cockpit concerns I really have no idea how much company I will have sailing. Some I'm sure. I have kids at home still and they are very active outdoors. My wife loves the water but I'm not sure how much she will actually want to sail. Some will depend on the boat I'm sure.

Thanks,
gus
Old 10-25-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you look around you'll find a lot of strong proponents here for sailing as a family, esp with younger children. Kids that grow up sailing with their parents will tend to stay connected longer and- most gratifying of all - also tend to keep sailing as adults.

Nervous sailors need to be eased into it, many people are quite apprehensive of the whole heeling aspect, but patience and practice will come through. My wife was a very nervous sailor when we started (in no small part due to my own inexperience at the time) but we stuck with it and today she'd rather crash into 20 knots or more than sail downwind.

Keelboats, with their self righting ability and generally "stiffer" (ie slower to heel over) habits make introducing kids and family a bit easier. Trailerable boats are necessarily lighter and less stable, and therefore 'twitchier' and more sensitive to puffs. I'd suggest avoiding the newer "water ballasted" trailerables and look at ones with weighted centerboards and the ability to lock the board in the down position.

The Catalina 25 is available in a trailerable version and may well provide the room you're looking for, is a nice looking boat that should sail quite nicely. Again, though, you'll be looking at a bit more initial cost.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-25-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Darn darn darn. Put together a long post with pics, but forgot to Submit it. Here's the short version: Sirius and Tanzer are both sold, affordable nameplates popular in the Great Lakes region. The Sirius 21 is a lively, solid, quick cruiser with surprising space below. Easy to singlehand; can fit a young family for a long weekend:

Tanzer makes boats from 22-26 that might fit your needs. Tanzers are heavy, robust, surprisingly fast ... and kinda funny-looking. That's partly because they stress interior room, especially headroom, over aesthetics. The T7.5 is one of the biggest small boats out there:

The 25 & 26 are harder to launch with their keels. Good values, all of them. You'll need a big vehicle to tow them.

Finally, look into the Ensenada 20, a cute little bug that has a large (if obstructed) cabin, often w/ pop top. Small sailplan means it's a bit of a slug, but it toodles along. Lyle Hess didn't design bad boats. Very stable & reassuring to new sailors. Fast to set up, easy to launch. Can be had for under $1200, sometimes.

Cheers, and keep us updated on your search!
Old 11-19-2009

I've looked at the suggested boat here. Now I've narrowed it down anyway.

#1: Cape Dory 25 is at the top of my list.
Reason
I love the looks of this boat.
It is a full keel boat that can be hauled in and out reasonably well.
They also seem to hold their value providing they are kept up.
#2: Tanzer 22
I like the layout of the cabin and the ample room in the cockpit.
If I could find one with rigid keel
A little more inexpensive but may not hold value as well as the CD.
#3: Sirius 21
I like the pop top
I also like the layout of the interior
This boat could easily climb this list upon finding more information on
it or actually finding one to look at.

I like the C&C 24 as well as the Dufour 24. The problem with these two boats is the 4' draft.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions now the search is on. I want to find some of these in physical form to get the feel for them. As a result the listing may change; we'll see.

Last edited by bashmaki; 11-19-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Did you look at any catboat style sloops? Didn't crosby build a small catboat that was trailerable? I am not sure...but I know I have seen a beamy little fiberglass catboat up on Waquoit Bay on Cape Cod. Those have a lot of room below.

Old 11-19-2009

I actually have considered them but turned away for a few reasons.

1) I live in the mid-west. I've never seen one around here; so I'd have to go to the right coast to get one. That really isn't the deal breaker though.
2) I live in one of the windiest states in the lower 48, South Dakota. I'm not sure a catboat is what I really need here.

Don't get me wrong; I love their looks and style. Being a greenhorn I really don't want to be the one to experiment with one here.
I've not seen any here for as reason I'm thinking.
I'm not trying to start no feud; just stating personal observations. That's all I've got to go on.

Last edited by bashmaki; 11-19-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: goofed