SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   Looking for a 30' any Ideas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/59191-looking-30-any-ideas.html)

Ifishli 10-23-2009 04:50 PM

Looking for a 30' any Ideas

I am looking to move up from a columbia 7.6 I am thinking a catalina 30 shoal or wing, pearson 303 so far, I need a draft of under 4.5' and would prefer a fixed keel I think as I have no exp with CB on a bigger boat, But do on my racer (Thistle). I would consider it but just not sure at this point. Also looking for about a 10-11' beam I need room for 2 adults, 1 teen, and 2 kids, in the $6-15k range
Any Ideas for other Boats that might fit this bill.
Thanks
Gary.

Waltthesalt 10-23-2009 10:02 PM

The Feb ’08 Practical Sailor did a review of 9, 30’ 1970s era boats that would be in your price range. You may want to look it over. Their short list was the Pearson 30 for performance, the Tartan 30 for pedigree, and the Catalina 30 for their avid fan base. Since then they’ve added the Morgan 30 to the list. Only the Morgan and Catalina have shoal draft versions. The Morgan does it with a centerboard in the keel that drops draft to 3’6”. The Catalina is a straight shoal keel. Both will be a bit more tender than their full keel versions but they all carry a lot of ballast and won’t have any stability problems. I’d be concerned about wing keels if you think you’re going to have grounding risks. The Tartan beam is 10’ but the Catalina is 10’10”. I think you’d find the Catalina considerably more commodious given your family than the others. It’s a design that’s been continually refined, and has a strong class organization. You should be able to get a lot of advice on maintenance and upgrading. At what you’re willing to spend you should be able to get a boat that’s been repowered, well maintained and upgraded. As blisters plagued that era if boat class you like has that vulnerability you should consider one that’s been peeled and epoxied

rdstanley 10-24-2009 08:52 AM

I would highly recommend the Catalina 30. We have one so I am biased. Ours has the wing keel, only draws 3'10" and performs well for what we do.

fordo 10-24-2009 09:13 AM

I love my Tartan 30, but it would be too cramped for your crew and it draws
5'. When they made them they advertised that the boat would sleep six. That is, I suppose, theoretically possible, but everyone would have to be on very good terms. Setting up to sail in the morning would also be a chore.

KindOfBlue 10-24-2009 10:20 AM

We used to have a catalina 30 and we like it a lot. On the mooring, dock or anchor it is very comfortable and spacious for a 30 footer. I used to take it out in some really rough seas (~10 feet tall and stacked one after the other) and she did ok. She will be on the slower side when compared to the others. We had a tall rig, but that's only advantageous in light air. The yahoo Catalina 30 group is a very active and knowledgable set of owners. I think that any of the mainstream 30' production boats are great boats for coastal cruising. If you are looking to go way offshore, some of these boats should be crossed off the list.

JimsCAL 10-24-2009 03:42 PM

Your price range of $6k to $15k is going to be at bit limiting for a 30 footer. You will be looking at boats from the 1970s to early 80s and may need some work. Most older boats have fin keels. Wings didn't really become common until the mid 80s.