SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   Tanzer 26 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/62514-tanzer-26-a.html)

dsholler 03-02-2010 08:44 PM

Tanzer 26

Hello,
Was wondering if I could get some feedback from present or former owners of Tanzer 26s.. .

I am looking to get a bigger boat so I can take the kids (and maybe my wife, if she will agree) on overnights. (I am a leadmine kind of guy, and currently sail a Cape Dory Typhoon)...

I have heard reasonable things about the Tanzers, and saw a 26 for sale that appears to be in my price range, but was hoping someone could fill me in on the specific warts and potential pitfalls.

I sail on LI Sound, so I am often in light air, and the vast majority of my sailing is solo. As I said, I am looking for a boat with reasonable weekend accommodations, but that can still be handled easily by me alone, and has a large enough cockpit to accommodate a few friends on occasion.

Thanks
Dan

erps 03-03-2010 08:55 AM

We had a Tanzer 7.5, which was around 25' long. I'm not sure if that's the same as the 26 you're looking at. We liked ours although it wasn't the prettiest boat we've owned. We see lots of Tanzer 22's up here in the Pacific N.W.

mikehoyt 03-09-2010 09:13 AM

The 7.5 although it looks similar to the 26 is a very different boat. It is 2 feet shorter than the 26 and very much lighter.

The 26 is a reasonably solid boat that I believe was originally built to make sailing more affordable in this size range. With a 150% genoa it is OK in lighter winds which is what I believe LI Sound has but is certainly not a rocket. Although from what you have been sailing this will probably perform very well for you.

Not a bad boat but definitely a starter boat. You will enjoy it and it is certainly affordable.

Mike

rikhall 03-24-2010 08:00 AM

Tanzer sailboats - lots going for them:

1 - they have a VERY passionate and helpful user's group - ask a question, get five answers in five minutes.
2 - they are built like a tank - stories of at least two coming off a trailer on the highway due to owner stupidity, very little damage to the boat
3 - solid hull - no fill, no balsa, I had to borrow a special drill to cut a hole for a depth meter in my Tanzer 28
4 - the Tanzer association still owns the moulds, so, things like anchor locker covers are still available
5 - lots of club racing if that appeals to you
6 - boats were built in Canada, Washington State and at least one plant "south" (NC or SC - I am not sure)
7 - at least two have sailed acrros the "pond" to Europe (not my cup of tea - but, whatever)

With all the caveats (have a survey, sail her, etc etc) I would not hesitate.

We owned a Tanzer 22 for five years, a Tanzer 28 for nine years and now a bigger boat.

Shalom

asdf38 07-16-2010 10:15 PM

I'm also looking at a Tanzer 26 right now. Seems like a good deal - $5000 for an 85' that's in good shape with new equipment. This is one of two boats that I've looked at and would consider buying for my first boat. The other is a Contessa 26. Very different boats. The Contessa is classic, solid and beautiful but small and slow. The Tanzer is a better performer and has far more space. But it seems to draw mixed opinions. Some people (many owners) say they are solid and "built like a tank". Others categorize it as a "starter" boat.

Any other opinions? It's a solid fiberglass (no balsa or plywood) boat that struck me as being pretty solid, what details say otherwise? Lead keel? I'm buying a first boat but I want to buy something thats worth the time and money I'll have to put into keeping it up.