Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Walk the Docks (tounge in cheek)

So I have seen the advice to walk the docks and the boatyards here often. I think it's stellar advice. I really do.

So, I'd *love to* walk the docks and talk to people. Here's the rub.

They are locked, so I end up with my face pressed against the chain link like some forlorn monkey in the zoo.

I could try climbing the fence but that likely wouldn't endear me to the residents of the marinas.

I completely understand those gates are locked for a reason. When am in my marina I will help keep it secure and keep the gate locked and not allow entry to people who don't belong there.

Hence I will not try to tailgate behind a resident to a dock.

So, catch 22.

How do you guys get around that?

I could breing my lovely and charming wife. She's so damn nice and friendly that it's eerie. I've seen her chat up the saltiest, grumpiest sailor and have them inviting us on their boats before I have figured out the gate is open.

I'm half joking here, but I'm also serious.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Bolt cutters?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 03-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What time and day are you doing this. Some days and times are better than others... one thing that works well is talking to someone who is carrying stuff out to their boat and needs a hand carrying stuff... They tend to look favorably on people who save them a second trip to the parking lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
What time and day are you doing this. Some days and times are better than others... one thing that works well is talking to someone who is carrying stuff out to their boat and needs a hand carrying stuff... They tend to look favorably on people who save them a second trip to the parking lot.
Yeah, we've had some good luck with asking, "So we are buying a boat and are looking for moorage. How do you like this marina?"

Old 03-25-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Share your intentions with the marina office personel. Even without your wife, it's unlikely that you will be turned away.
Old 03-25-2010

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
What I do is talk to the marina owners and tell them that I am close to buying a boat and will need a place to keep it, possibly their marina.

Tell them that you would like to take a look at the facilities and the slips. Inquire about rates and their availability ~ part of this is acting.

they will then be willing to give the codes to the gates so that you can walk around the marina. After all, they want to keep their marina at capacity.... It has worked all the time for me....
Old 03-25-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Also walk the guest docks. many times as a guest you are more friendly when it comes time to talk to others about a given boat etc, not sure why, but.........

Now if you are trying to find a derelict........then try the office, I'm sure they know which have or have not moved recently.

Marty
Old 03-25-2010

All this makes sense and much of it is what we've been doing. We've been able to walk marinas after talking to the office.

What I found myself wondering was if there were any other contexts of "walk the docks" of which I was unaware.

Boating secrets and all that.

Old 03-25-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Visit areas that are friendlier and not so security conscious; hang out in nicer marinas. Our slips are not secured. You are welcome to come by anytime.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-25-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's definitely an issue... the irony is that many thefts from boats occur by dinghy or other water-borne access, so the so-called security gate doesn't count for much.
Our marina has no gates but does have fairly vigilant full time security personnel.

One of the (many) treats while hanging out in Antigua's Falmouth harbour recently is that all the docks are open and free access - and here you're talking about some major boat eye candy.....

In case you missed it:

Big Boats - Falmouth/English Harbour (pics)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)