Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010

madman960 is on a distinguished road
C&C 24 or Columbia 22

I have a chance to buy one of these boats. Both are reasonably priced.

The C&C 24 needs all sails, outboard, cleaning, radio, and porta potty.

The Columbia 22 needs headsail, outboard, radio, and porta potty.

Either would be my first boat. No trailer for either one.

Thanks,

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Long term I believe you'll be much happier with the C&C... prettier, quicker, and better built. In any case, of course, get a survey to be sure there are no serious issues, and make sure you understand the costs of keeping her - moorage, insurance and maintenance-wise. In some areas even the availability of moorage can be an issue.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-23-2010

Thanks for the reply Faster. The slip is transferable for the C&C @ $300 month. Have to find a slip for the Columbia. Insurance is not an issue. Not sure what all maintenance either boat would require. I know monthly bottom cleanings need to be done. Not sure how often it will need washed waxed buffed etc. Do not know if either boat has zincs or how often to replace if they do. Still reading up on both boats. Just thought I would see what experienced boaters thought of both boats.

Bill
Old 06-23-2010

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road
Hello-

I don't know much about Columbia but have never been all that enamored about their appearance. With a C&C you're getting a very well built boat that will be seaworthy in all but the worst conditions on the Salish Sea. You will have no problem crossing the Strait of Georgia or Juan de Fuca. Assuming the hull is in good shape, with new sails you will have a boat that will last many years. The gelcoat is going to be thicker than a modern boat so it will buff-out nicely. I am assuming the boat is around 30 years old?

It likely has a perforated toe-rail. This is an extremely valuable feature on a boat. it's great for rigging a preventer or for lead blocks for a roller furling system.

One cool thing about old boats is the massive amount of used parts available such as roller furlers, self-tailers, hatches....E-bay is amazing.

If I were to downsize, this would be a boat I would look for.

Good Luck and have fun!
Doug Powers
SV Totoro
C&C 30 MkII
Seattle
Old 06-23-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman960 View Post
I have a chance to buy one of these boats. Both are reasonably priced.

The C&C 24 needs all sails, outboard, cleaning, radio, and porta potty.

The Columbia 22 needs headsail, outboard, radio, and porta potty.

Either would be my first boat. No trailer for either one.

Thanks,

Bill
This really an "apples to bananas" comparison. Different boats from quite different design and construction eras. Two feet of length is a bigger difference than you might at first believe. The C&C would be my choice unless financially pressed and the older Col 22 was nearly free. Both will sail well, as far as that goes, but more waterline length is always better.

If on a tight budget, look for good used sails. Follow that surveyor around closely and take notes. (!) Any boat over 20 years might have a deck or chainplate issue. Rigging is probably ancient at this point unless the p.o. was up to date on his maint. schedule.

There is a nice restored C&C 24 in our yc, and it's a great sailing boat with the classic C&C look. A friend of mine used to race and cruise his Col 22, several decades ago and really liked it.

Sidebar: Consider putting some basic bio info, like where you plan to sail it.

Here's to happy days on the water,
L

Last edited by olson34; 06-23-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2010

Hangupndrive, The C&C was built in 1976. Not sure what you mean by a perforated toe rail. It was set up for racing. (according to owner)

Olson34, The C&C is $950 and the Col 22 is $249. I would be sailing in So Cal. (near Dana Point/San Diego)

Bill
Old 06-23-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman960 View Post
The C&C was built in 1976. Not sure what you mean by a perforated toe rail. It was set up for racing. (according to owner)

The C&C is $950 and the Col 22 is $249. I would be sailing in So Cal. (near Dana Point/San Diego)
Bill
Nice area to live in and sail in!

That alum. toe rail is on top of a thru-bolted hull and deck joint. Much stronger than the joint on a Columbia or similar boat of its era.
Sounds like both boats are cheap.

I would get the C&C, for whatever that's worth.

L
Old 06-23-2010

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road
My embarassment, i saw the "new westminster, bc" on the second post. Disregard the local comments.

The aluminum, wood or plastic rail at the edge of deck is a toe rail. The bolts that attach the deck to the hull go through the toe rail. Some boats do not have it but I don't believe I have seen a c&c without an aluminum rail with holes in it.

You might see if Practical Sailor has a specific review of the C&C 24. If not, they have plenty on other C&C models. disregard any review for newer (1996 and beyond) models as it is a completely different company. Any negative comments are rare.

If you're interested, there is also a C&C owner's site not affiliated with the company in any way. If you decide on the C&C it will be a great resource.

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

go to the left side and select "C&C Brochures" and you will find the original marketing brochures.
Old 06-23-2010

SleepCat is on a distinguished road
I have a 1969 Columbia 22. The H-joint that holds the hull and deck together is a bad design. It separates and leaks like a sieve. I would go with the C&C unless you like to do a lot of maintenance.
Old 06-23-2010

swimnfit is on a distinguished road
I had a 68 Columbia 22 and while she was homely, there was a certain look to her that became appealing. Large amount of open deck space to walk around on a boat that size. The cockpit was comfortable and I had an outboard well that made steering quite easy (although difficult to raise and lower the outboard). Not the sleakest and svelt of sailors but she was built like a tank and very forgiving. Although I loved my Columbia, she had some leaking ports and given what I know now abut boats I would likely not buy the Columbia. Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“A wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.”