Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
What exactly is the value to the seller of a refundable 10% deposit with price subject to inspection, sea trial, and survey? The would be buyer only has to say it didn't meet my expectations...deal is off. Meanwhile, by accepting the deposit, the seller would seem to have taken the boat off the market pending the outcome of inspection....
If they are willing to fork over $1000 cash for the opportunity to inspect the boat, the it gives you some idea that they are serious. You're right though, they can simply say that the inspection and sea trial were unsatisfactory. You would have a pending sale, the boat is still on the market. Also, the purchase agreement has dates for inspection and closing. As a seller, you would want to make it a short time frame, maybe a week or two.

The OP asked how to ensure that the buyers were serious. I gave what I thought was a reasonable way of doing it.
Now, is it the best way to actually get the boat sold? No.
Is it more convenient for a busy seller? I think so.
Is is as good as using a broker? I don't think so.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2010

SaltyMonkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post

Customer is always right. If you are not a salesperson, you know what to do next.
Exactly right
Old 08-07-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
This is worth re-reading.

Anyone who ever wanted me to put up money BEFORE I even saw the boat would be a tiny image in my rear view mirror. Asking for a deposit or earnest money in advance on the first inspection is ridiculous. a not to far fetched analogy would be a used car salesman...

If you don't want to invest the time to show the boat to anyone who asks, that's what brokers are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Are you kidding me? This isn't about you. This is about a potential buyer. You should allow ANYONE to look at your boat and be available for that interaction. A person can be looking at many boats in the market and that takes time and comparison. They may not be willing to give you an offer just to see your boat on a first 1 hour visit. I certainly would never be. They may come thinking they are just looking around the market and end up writing you a check. They also can pass on the word to other potential buyers which believe me happens.

If you can't deal with it, get a broker. This is exactly one of the reasons I don not buy from individual sellers or waste any time with them. They are amateurs They are either too emotionally attached to the boat, don't know how to price the market, think its about themselves, or have no clue about salesmanship.
Old 08-07-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
This is worth re-reading.

Anyone who ever wanted me to put up money BEFORE I even saw the boat would be a tiny image in my rear view mirror. Asking for a deposit or earnest money in advance on the first inspection is ridiculous. a not to far fetched analogy would be a used car salesman...

If you don't want to invest the time to show the boat to anyone who asks, that's what brokers are for.

I think you are taking him out of context...the 1000.00 would be for making an offer and for subjecting the boat to inspection/survey and sea trial.

I don't believe he meant telling someone on the phone .." Ya, come on down and give me 1000.00 and you can look at my boat" ..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think K1vsk's point is that if you're requiring the person to put down a good faith deposit before they can even see the boat, you're not going to have any buyers looking at the boat.

If the seller can't be bothered to show the boat to genuinely interested parties without requiring a deposit, he really isn't serious about selling the boat IMHO. To sell something, you need to have potential buyers—anything that restricts the potential buyers is a bad thing.

Yes, I understand that the OP wants to weed out the looky-lous and the people looking to get a free daysail with no real interest in buying the boat... but I'd point out that the sea trial should only be allowed once an offer has been made and accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I think you are taking him out of context...the 1000.00 would be for making an offer and for subjecting the boat to inspection/survey and sea trial.

I don't believe he meant telling someone on the phone .." Ya, come on down and give me 1000.00 and you can look at my boat" ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-07-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
That was my whole point...I don't think anyone has suggested asking for a deposit to look at the boat for the first time....it was taken out of contex

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
That was my whole point...I don't think anyone has suggested asking for a deposit to look at the boat for the first time....it was taken out of contex
Actually, that was what I was suggesting. The OP wanted to know how to weed out serious buyers and that is one way to do it. In other words, the seller would be saying "If the boat is as nice as you expect it to be, are you willing to buy it?". If the potential buyer agrees, then they can inspect etc...

The OP is trying to avoid taking lots of folks out to a boat that is moored out. I agree with everyone who has pointed out that that would eliminate a number of potential buyers. It also would eliminate the tire kickers and casually curious.

Dave
My Blog on
Old 08-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that if he has the boat listed with a broker, many times the broker will have marina space and may put the boat on a slip to make visiting it easier...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that if he has the boat listed with a broker, many times the broker will have marina space and may put the boat on a slip to make visiting it easier...
Exactly, or at least it would be the broker taking potential buyers out to the boat on a dinghy and not the OP. If I was serious about selling a boat (which I am at the moment), I'd use a broker (which I am). I am also willing to show it to anyone that is interested. However, my boat is in a slip 20 minutes from my home or office.

Anyone want to buy a '84 Catalina 36 with some deck delam?

Dave
My Blog on
Old 08-08-2010
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Actually, that was what I was suggesting. The OP wanted to know how to weed out serious buyers and that is one way to do it. In other words, the seller would be saying "If the boat is as nice as you expect it to be, are you willing to buy it?". If the potential buyer agrees, then they can inspect etc...

The OP is trying to avoid taking lots of folks out to a boat that is moored out. I agree with everyone who has pointed out that that would eliminate a number of potential buyers. It also would eliminate the tire kickers and casually curious.

Dave
My mistake then.....and I would then have to agree with SaltyMonkey....and add that anyone who would ask for such a thing is not cut out for sail buy owner and had better enlist the service of a broker....as I have never heard of such a thing myself nor would I go look at any boat with that stipulation....People lie about there boats plain and simple just as easily as buyers lie about there intentions....again this is why I don't begrudge a broker his commission, he/she has to put up with both of them.

Carry on, and good luck.

As a side note: ...you have your choice of 3 excavation contractors...two give free estimates and one charges 1000.00 to come look at the job...refundabal if you dont choose him for it....would you even have him come out and bid it?..........none of the people I work for would have....and I want to move my opperation to where this is an exceptibal practic ,so clue me in..

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-08-2010 at 11:26 AM.