Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
How to identify serious buyers

Lets say I have a 3 to 10 thousand dollar boat on a mooring that is for sail by owner, me.

To show someone the boat is a little bit of a hassle with a dinghy ride and all.
It would sure be great to be like that guy from the show "Lie to Me" and ask "Are you seriously looking to buy a boat today" and know if they are lying or not.

I am fully aware that some percentage of people are just looking end up buying. They may not even know they are going to buy a boat that day until they see it.

I also know that some folks just like to look at boats and have no money.

Any ideas or do you just have to show it to everyone or hire a broker?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Pretty much yes...that's why I don't begrudge a broker his commission...I loath selling things.

On the other hand Im the kind of buyer Sellers wish for...I may drive a hard bargain but Im not there to waste any time...If I came to look at it ...I have the cash in hand and chances are Im in a buying mood ....as Iv already done my home work.... if its everything I was told it was you probably just sold it....being a boat, subject to survey and sea trial that is.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How much is your time worth to you? If it is worth more than the commission would cost you, hire a broker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-06-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
You know if they are serious if they negotiate a price subject to inspection, sea trial, and survey. Negotiate a price, have them give you a refundable 10% deposit, then go do an inspection.

You will put off a number of potential buyers, but if you have a boat type that is well known, this assures you that you are dealing with potential buyers that know what they are looking for, instead of tire kicker who are just looking around to see what is out there.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 08-07-2010

oaklandsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
You know if they are serious if they negotiate a price subject to inspection, sea trial, and survey. Negotiate a price, have them give you a refundable 10% deposit, then go do an inspection.

You will put off a number of potential buyers, but if you have a boat type that is well known, this assures you that you are dealing with potential buyers that know what they are looking for, instead of tire kicker who are just looking around to see what is out there.

Dave
This is exactly as it is going with the broker who has been showing me boats. Ditto for when I am looking at something the broker is not involved in. I'm serious and make that clear. If I am not specifically interested in their boat, I've explained that in advance and ask to visit when they are working on it so as not to inconvenience them. The last boat, for sale by owner, which I was very interested in, I actually showed him my blank check to be used as a deposit if things went well.
Old 08-07-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Buyers in that price range are generally clueless about boats in general and sailboats in particular. Be prepared to waste a lot of time. Some brokers have a minimum commission ($2000 is common), so that's a lot for a boat in that price range. I doubt a broker would even consider taking on a boat that was on a mooring and required a dinghy ride to get to.
Old 08-07-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I sold My J24 this year which was pretty easy because of the active class i also sold my 1995 19' powerboat

The vast amount of shenanigans with the J24 occurred by email with only one PITA couple visiting in person with a wife who was concerned about the somewhat faded deck on a 29 year old race-boat

The person who bought it had looked around and new it was in good condition at a fair price and left a deposit and had it picked up by a boat mover

I sold the powerboat on Craigs list in about 6 weeks again with a bunch of email and phone shenanigans with the big one being NO-SHOWS

Then one Saturday a guy shows up pops out a wad of cash we exchange paperwork and its gone

So i would say most of the BS was not in person with the BIG one being people wanting to work down the price without visiting the boat

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 08-07-2010

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Dave
What exactly is the value to the seller of a refundable 10% deposit with price subject to inspection, sea trial, and survey? The would be buyer only has to say it didn't meet my expectations...deal is off. Meanwhile, by accepting the deposit, the seller would seem to have taken the boat off the market pending the outcome of inspection....
Old 08-07-2010

SaltyMonkey is on a distinguished road
Are you kidding me? This isn't about you. This is about a potential buyer. You should allow ANYONE to look at your boat and be available for that interaction. A person can be looking at many boats in the market and that takes time and comparison. They may not be willing to give you an offer just to see your boat on a first 1 hour visit. I certainly would never be. They may come thinking they are just looking around the market and end up writing you a check. They also can pass on the word to other potential buyers which believe me happens.

If you can't deal with it, get a broker. This is exactly one of the reasons I don not buy from individual sellers or waste any time with them. They are amateurs They are either too emotionally attached to the boat, don't know how to price the market, think its about themselves, or have no clue about salesmanship.
Old 08-07-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post

I also know that some folks just like to look at boats and have no money.
You should be thankful that they take time to show up to look at your boat without charging you for their time. IF you are a good salesperson and price her right, you can turn the looker into a buyer.

Customer is always right. If you are not a salesperson, you know what to do next.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.