Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010

backwaterdog is on a distinguished road
Need advice on 1977 Hunter

I am thinking about purchasing a 1977 hunter 25' for lake sailing in Lake Martin, Al. It is in need of some work, but nothing is structurally wrong with the boat as far as I can tell. It has been on the water in a marina for at least the last four years. It will need teak refinished (hand holds, interior, etc.), hull cleaning, and deck cleaning. Some painting as well I suspect. I am new to sailing and am currently learing to sail on a small 16' wooden daysailer. I will be starting lessons soon, and thought this 25 footer would be a great way to learn on a relatively larger boat. Just thought I would ask for some advice from others that know far more about this than I do. Your thoughts? Good buy or not? The owner is asking 2,120.
Old 09-14-2010

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
As most will tell you, project boats usually end up being more money then they are worth. From personal expericence, I bought a boat that had been sitting for a long time and the more work I did the more work I found it needed. In the end I decided to save up more money so I could buy less of a project. But if you don't mind putting in a lot of elbow grease and putting some more money into the boat then go for it. Usually if you look around for awhile you can find a good deal that isn't a big project, try craigslist.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010

backwaterdog is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice livinondreams. I actually really enjoy working on boats and consider the labor involved to be half the fun. I just finished a 16ft wooden day sailor a few weeks ago. But, your advice is well taken. It will cost a good bit to get this boat looking good and the expenditures will surely exceed the value of the boat. Sadly, all boats are money pits. Have you heard anything about 70's hunters? Do you think there are issues with the hull separating from the deck? I've heard that can happen with some hunters. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 09-17-2010

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
It definitly can be rewarding to see the finished product of your workmanship. I also have been attracted to some fixer-upper sailboats. A benifit is that by the time the work is done, you will know your boat through and through. I am getting ready to start a refit on a westsail 28 I just bought and am pretty excited to get to work on her. Not quite as much of a project as my previous boat I sold though. I am not an expert on hull deck joints but I would look for leaks around seam. The toe rail might have to be removed to reseal and tighten. I am sure there are many knowlegable people on the forum about this that might be able to give you some insight.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook