Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

And I ain't showing you a pic of his legs!!

HEHE!

THis is all for fun, btw. There are a lot of things Catalina does better that I like which is why I buy their boats. But at the end of the day, I suspect thre is not much difference.

Brian
You would NOT want to see a picture of my legs!

Along with as Brian says, he likes the catalina's, or should we say wife likes the interior from other posts, his wife purrs inside them, my wife on the other hand purrs inside the Jeanneau's, hence why I own one, and runs out of a catalina about as quick as she goes into it, and says YUCK. mean while Brians wife does about the same in Jeanneau's........so, yes in the end, both are probably about the same, with some plus's and minus's on both, depending upon what you are looking for in a boat.

If you want a few modifications to the boats, Catalina would be better than Jeanneau or Beneteau, as almost everything is pre cut with a machine. I believe Catalina still does a significant amount of hand work if you will, so they will modify the boat a bit more. IIRC an article in Cruising world a while back, were a couple could not keep there old Catalina, I think #3, ran into Gerry Douglas at a boat show, he made a boat with mods so she could get in and out with a wheel chair or some such thing. You will probably NOT get this type of service with the European makes, except for some that are slightly higher in price and build quality if you will.

At the end of the day, choose a boat you like..........At least I do not shave my legs, will not comment about brian, joe namath of catalina owners!:ro lleyes:

marty
Old 09-23-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaccio View Post
... Because here in Europe most of the sailing boat are french.
thanks for your advice
That is not true. Bavaria and Hanse (Germany) together sell almost as many boats as the French big companies.

There are also a growing number of boats from other countries: Elan, Halberg-Rassy, Grand-Soleil, X-yachts or Arcona are just some examples of the several dozens of Shipyards that build Yachts in Europe.

Regarding your question, I would say that the main difference is about boat design. Europeans have their boats designed by the best and more innovative boat designers. The Catalinas have a much more "traditional" approach. Their boats look like 10 or 15 year old European boats (Hull design). That does not mean they are worst, it only means that the American sailors are a lot more conservative than the European sailors and therefore they make boats for that market.

European boats sell on the American Market, American boats don't sell on the European market (they have tried), not because of their quality, but because they don't fit European sailors. There is one exception, J boats (made in France) that probably sell more in Europe than in the States (that one fits European tastes ).

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, on a more serious note, I will say that your odds of getting Gerri to customize a Catalina is somewhere around the Dallas Cowboys winning the SUper Bowl (zero). Good luck with that. Bene, Jeau, Cat - they are all the wrong boat for ANY customization before you buy. Better do your changes after you buy.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-23-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
A few weeks ago I med-tied next to a Bene 40. The owner essentially bought the boat new in 2008. I have a new-to-me Catalina 400. We talked about the differences in the boats, design features we liked and didn't like etc... We each had specific reasons for purchasing the boats that we did. There are some things about the Beneteau that I really like and wish Catalina had incorporated in their design. OTOH, on balance I like the Catalina design much better so that is the boat I bought.

Most of these boats will serve you quite well. Pick the boat that meets your needs the best and that appeals to you the most. I can tell you that manufacturer and owner support for the Catalinas is outstanding. CY has a strong reputation and history of supporting their owners. That is one reason why CY tends to have such high number of folks like CD or myself, that stayed with Catalina when moving up in size.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 09-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Brian,

The article I am recalling, I believe the boat that this couple bought, was not what I would call major modified, but the entry was made such that the women could get down inside easier, maybe putting the doorway all the way to the cockpit floor, a handle or two different. Along with, this was there 4th or 5th Catalina that they bought new. This made it such Gerry was willing to do a bit of customization without going completely whacko in the process. IIRC she had MS or some such thing, so it was how to get it such that she could still sail, do some things and get around. I do not recal ALL of the mods, but they were pretty simple per say.

Otherwise, I am sure as you say, getting a major custom job from Gerry, is about as good as the cowboys, or my local seadogs....ooops, seaslugs.....oops. what ever they are into the superbowl too!

Dhays hit the nail pretty good too, all of these boats are good boats for there cost etc. Each has some things that push one persons buttons, but not anther's. I know folks with most of these brands mentioned, ALL like there boats. ALL can name why they choose Bene over catalina over Jeanneau, or vise versa, and most also have opposite tastes on things, ambiance wanted, storage setup one way or another, or sailing wants.....

Marty
Old 09-24-2010

zaccio is on a distinguished road
I agree with PCB analysis.I was at south of France and visited some used boats (Bene,Jeanneau,Dufour,Kiriť) the Kiriť Feeling 416 interior was very nice (my wife love it) and when I asked about Bavaria the brooker said it don't match french boat about quality (he's french ;-).I find the Catalina interior pretty nice (quite different from europeen boat) on picture and it's quite difficult to find one in europe.
Old 09-27-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
I am not sure that all the design changes in modern Euro boats are for the better. The big windows with pointed (stress concentrator) ends in the Euro boats are a design flaw in heavy weather, as well as making the boat too hot in the tropics.
Old 09-27-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradclife View Post
I am not sure that all the design changes in modern Euro boats are for the better. The big windows with pointed (stress concentrator) ends in the Euro boats are a design flaw in heavy weather, as well as making the boat too hot in the tropics.
I heard this argument often. I am not sure if this a valid concern or just hearsay. With today technology and engineering design. Making a big window on sailboat can stand the crashing wave is not too difficult. I am sure Beneteau, Jeanneau or others have tested theirs. When I examine the windows on these boats, they are flush and smooth. More importantly. When the wave crashing down, the boat will yield.

As for big window, it gets harder. If someone has money to buy a new sailboat, he can not be so dumb. I am sure he can figure it out a simple solution to get it under control.

It boils down personal preferences. It is not a design fault. I for one would not like to stay in a saloon like a dark basement full old dark smelly wood furniture. I like a lively saloon that reminds me that I am in a sailboat.

I would like to hear if anyone experiences or hears any report window/port hole failures.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 09-27-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I heard this argument often. I am not sure if this a valid concern or just hearsay. With today technology and engineering design. Making a big window on sailboat can stand the crashing wave is not too difficult. I am sure Beneteau, Jeanneau or others have tested theirs. When I examine the windows on these boats, they are flush and smooth. More importantly. When the wave crashing down, the boat will yield.

As for big window, it gets harder. If someone has money to buy a new sailboat, he can not be so dumb. I am sure he can figure it out a simple solution to get it under control.

It boils down personal preferences. It is not a design fault. I for one would not like to stay in a saloon like a dark basement full old dark smelly wood furniture. I like a lively saloon that reminds me that I am in a sailboat.

I would like to hear if anyone experiences or hears any report window/port hole failures.
Well, I am not a fan of teh big portlights overhead. First, they will leak. Maybe not the day you buy it, but it will happen and they are a pain to rebed. I just did another over the weekend.

To me, the safety aspect is less of a wave coming down and crashing through the light as much as it is that the things are slick when wet. No shoes grip on those things. THrow a little sea spray, a 6+ foot sea, and low lighting, and you have a pretty serious hazard. Heck, any one of those will make it a hazard.

They look nice though. They do give lots of light down below. Everything is a tradeoff.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-27-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Yea, I understand. I would not step on the glass surface of any port. I think donradclife and I were talking about the port hole on the side and its sharp angle.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.