Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A USCG documented boat can not have a state title issued to it legally. The USCG DOCUMENTATION is effectively the title if the boat is federally documented. The point of titling a boat is to show ownership, which is what the point of USCG documentation is. IF a state were to title a federally documented boat, the boat could then be fraudulently re-sold using the title, without the protections that the USCG documentation give you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
Is there financing involved in the deal or are you paying cash? If there is financing involved, your lender might have something to say about how the boat gets documented. Otherwise, just ask the broker to provide you with a proper notarized USCG bill of sale and tell them that you will re-document the boat yourself. (Don't know much about California, but according to BoatUS the state also issues titles, so that might be an additional complication.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
Dog, my boat is both titled in the state of Maryland and documented by the USCG. I think your point is, and I agree, that the USCG documentation supercedes the state title. But that doesn't change the fact that the state of California may wish to record a title on Yountman's boat at the time of sale. Note that as soon as the seller signs the bill of sale, the boat is no longer federally documented -- the seller's documentation is invalidated by the bill of sale -- until the buyer re-documents the boat in his own name.

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 01-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2011

Yountman is on a distinguished road
ok, first off, I am paying in full with a cashier's check if that makes any difference. I have also just inquired to the broker if I could bypass the $450 fee, am waiting for his reply, I'll let you all know what he says just for your general interest. And one more question if I may... I have owned a few boats with CF #'s (california DMV registration) but never a documented boat. So, what exactly is the difference? is one better than the other?
Old 01-27-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dog, my boat is both titled in the state of Maryland and documented by the USCG.
Why would you do both?

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 01-27-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDog View Post
Why would you do both?
I bought the boat in Maryland. Because I wasn't planning to move the boat out of Maryland within 90 days (or whatever the limit is there), I had to register the boat in Maryland. Because the seller's documentation was invalidated by the sale, and I had chosen to re-document the boat on my own at my leisure, the state required that I title the boat with them when I registered it. This paper work (state title and registration) was handled by the broker at the time of the sale. I suppose if I had pursued the re-documentation right away after the purchase, and had it in hand before the deadline for registering the boat, I could have avoided titling the boat with the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yountman
I have owned a few boats with CF #'s (california DMV registration) but never a documented boat. So, what exactly is the difference? is one better than the other?
Most states will require you to register the boat with the state, regardless of whether it is documented (a few states do not require documented boats to also be registered with the state). Most of these states do not, however, require documented boats to display the registration numbers on the bow like you would be required to do on an undocumented boat. Many states do require documented boats to display their registration validation sticker on the bow, though.

The advantages of documentation are that it is a form of title that is recognized across the country, even around the world. Since not all states issue titles to boats, state titles are not universally recognized the way federal documentation is.This is why lenders financing expensive boats will require the boat to be documented -- so that they can record their lien! Also if you ever sail internationally, state registration might not hold any meaning for some foreign authorities, whereas the federal documentation does mean something to them. As mentioned above, in a few states the fact that the boat is federally documented means you don't have to register the boat with the state. Many people choose to document their boat simply for the aesthetic reason of not having to show their state registration numbers on their bow!

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 01-27-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
NO STATE CAN REQUIRE YOU TO TITLE A USCG DOCUMENTED BOAT. This is federal law. The state can require you to register the boat, but that is not the same thing as titling the boat.

Your boat is an exception because you bought it and state registered/titled the boat and then chose to re-document the boat after the sale was completed. You could have just as easily bought the boat and had the USCG documentation transferred to you and never titled the boat at all. I would point out that when you USCG documented your boat, your state title should probably have become invalidated and turned in or destroyed.

Quote:
Dog, my boat is both titled in the state of Maryland and documented by the USCG. I think your point is, and I agree, that the USCG documentation supercedes the state title. But that doesn't change the fact that the state of California may wish to record a title on Yountman's boat at the time of sale. Note that as soon as the seller signs the bill of sale, the boat is no longer federally documented -- the seller's documentation is invalidated by the bill of sale -- until the buyer re-documents the boat in his own name.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-27-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yountman View Post
ok, first off, I am paying in full with a cashier's check if that makes any difference. I have also just inquired to the broker if I could bypass the $450 fee, am waiting for his reply, I'll let you all know what he says just for your general interest. And one more question if I may... I have owned a few boats with CF #'s (california DMV registration) but never a documented boat. So, what exactly is the difference? is one better than the other?

If you want to know more about the differences between state registration/titling and USCG documenting the boat, you can read more about it HERE.

Telstar 28
New England