Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011

Yountman is on a distinguished road
buying a documented boat

I am buying a documented boat and was told there would be a $450 transfer of title fee, is this normal? thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yountman View Post
I am buying a documented boat and was told there would be a $450 transfer of title fee, is this normal? thanks
Transferring the USCG documentation should not cost anywhere near that much. You can see the fee schedule for USCG documentation and associated actions HERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
But Dog, those are only the fees if you send in the paperwork yourself. If you have somebody else do it for you, like the Broker, then of course you will have to pay whatever they ask! [/sarcasm]

Yountman, the broker or seller in your deal should provide you with a proper "Bill of Sale" using the appropriate USCG form. They might charge you a notary public fee, because this has to be notarized. The broker might also have done a title search with the USCG and would pass on that fee to you as well.

As soon as the seller has sold you the boat, their documentation is invalidated. The USCG would appreciate a letter from the seller notifying them of the sale, but it is not required as far as I know. To re-document the boat in your name, you simply send the USCG your notarized bill of sale (in the acceptable USCG format), an application form which you can get from the USCG website, and your money.

At least that was my experience.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 01-26-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
$500 is the going price

You can do it yourself, but if you choose to have someone do that for you that is the going price.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 01-26-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
$500 for filling out forms that the Coast Guard will be glad to help you complete if you call their 800 number (you're already paying them!) seems pretty steep. At one point we had a change involving the buyout of one of our partners, making for more than average complexity. The USCG Documentation Service was helpful, courteous and a pleasure to work with.
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
$500 for filling out forms that the Coast Guard will be glad to help you complete if you call their 800 number (you're already paying them!) seems pretty steep. At one point we had a change involving the buyout of one of our partners, making for more than average complexity. The USCG Documentation Service was helpful, courteous and a pleasure to work with.
Well, about $100 of that would be the fees required to transfer the boat's documentation properly... but yeah, they're charging a pretty stiff fee for doing not a whole lot..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2011

thanks for that info - the yacht salesman told me the $450 goes "to cover the title company for the transfer of documents". Anybody ever had to pay this before or am I being swindled? I am in California btw, not sure if that makes a difference
Old 01-26-2011

oh crap, just realized you guys just answered that stuff, somehow I got onto my post thing here without seeing that. so maybe I ask the broker kindly if I may do that myself? any reason the sale could not go through if I was to pass on the $450 fee and tell them I will take care of it? THX so much, I feel much empowered to know this information!
Old 01-27-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
Is there financing involved in the deal or are you paying cash? If there is financing involved, your lender might have something to say about how the boat gets documented. Otherwise, just ask the broker to provide you with a proper notarized USCG bill of sale and tell them that you will re-document the boat yourself. (Don't know much about California, but according to BoatUS the state also issues titles, so that might be an additional complication.)

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 01-27-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Just to berate the point, we bought a documented boat last year and re-documented it in our name. It was easy and the USCG personnel were very helpful. Do not let the broker charge you for that "service" (aka rip-off) unless you like paying someone $300 an hour for paperwork. In my experience they (the brokers) will recommend not doing it yourself.

Boat buying is a dangerous time for your wallet, every "professional" involved (brokers, surveyors, boatyards) looks at you and thinks PAYDAY! So view them suspiciously and think THIEF! Then act accordingly.

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.

Last edited by GeorgeDog; 01-27-2011 at 08:48 AM.