Canadian buying boat in the USA - Page 4 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-24-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 654
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 14
olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Canadian buying boat in the USA

On only your last question, US boats with only State registration sail (and motor) into BC Canada waters from Washington and Oregon thousands of times a season.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #32  
Old 11-24-2012
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,390
Thanks: 63
Thanked 160 Times in 157 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Canadian buying boat in the USA

In Canada if the boat is over 30 ft and/or over 10HP then you must license it, which is free and nowadays your get a provincial license number that must be displayed on the vessel (used to be a 'K' number in BC, now it's a 'BCnnnnnn' format.

Registration is optional up to a certain size (~60/65 feet?). It costs more, mainly for a name search (it must be unique on the registry) but it's a full-on documentaion and you carry a 'blue book' on board with the details. The Registry number must be permanently affixed below somewhere, but it need not be overtly visible. For yachts there are plaques that are allowed, I believe.

Not sure how you'd deal with an apparently undocumented vessel, If it requires licensing I suppose I'd go and apply for that.. it's doubtful they would unearth any history, I don't believe there's any kind of title search involved, and they will get their HST or PST/GST depending on the province and timing when you do that.

If it was to be registered then you may well run into issues if the boat is indeed American and has not been properly imported.

It's been a few years but I don't recall that I had to worry about 'undocumenting' when we imported from the US. I had to have a copy of the owners US title when we came through customs, but my impression was that that was to ensure the boat was his to sell, and not stolen propery. Overall the process was quite simple.

I have sailed an undocumented boat into the US and back some years ago (it was under 30 ft) without incident.. not sure how that would go in today's post 9/11 world.
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #33  
Old 11-24-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Carogan is on a distinguished road
Re: Canadian buying boat in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
In Canada if the boat is over 30 ft and/or over 10HP then you must license it, which is free and nowadays your get a provincial license number that must be displayed on the vessel (used to be a 'K' number in BC, now it's a 'BCnnnnnn' format.

Registration is optional up to a certain size (~60/65 feet?). It costs more, mainly for a name search (it must be unique on the registry) but it's a full-on documentaion and you carry a 'blue book' on board with the details. The Registry number must be permanently affixed below somewhere, but it need not be overtly visible. For yachts there are plaques that are allowed, I believe.

Not sure how you'd deal with an apparently undocumented vessel, If it requires licensing I suppose I'd go and apply for that.. it's doubtful they would unearth any history, I don't believe there's any kind of title search involved, and they will get their HST or PST/GST depending on the province and timing when you do that.

If it was to be registered then you may well run into issues if the boat is indeed American and has not been properly imported.

It's been a few years but I don't recall that I had to worry about 'undocumenting' when we imported from the US. I had to have a copy of the owners US title when we came through customs, but my impression was that that was to ensure the boat was his to sell, and not stolen propery. Overall the process was quite simple.

I have sailed an undocumented boat into the US and back some years ago (it was under 30 ft) without incident.. not sure how that would go in today's post 9/11 world.
As a Canadian resident living in BC, I'm trying to figure out the least costly way to legally make this purchase (this process is all so complicated!!)

I take it that I can't have my american vendor just remove his vessel for USCG documentation, bring it over the border himself, and then make a transaction with me in Canada where I would license it and just pay the 12% HST at that time (and hope to avoid paying the import duty because I wouldn't file it in a Canadian registry?) Because he would still have the boat licensed from his home state then I suppose this would bring up flags regarding import duties?

The more I read about this convoluted process, the more I think that the most economical way for me to do this is just register and licence the boat in an Alberta registry (pay the 9.5% duty for the boat built in Taiwan, and pay the 5% GST only - Alberta has no PST), and find a way to moor it in BC. Do I have this right?

If I register it in BC I understand that I'd have to pay the import duty (9.5%) AND full HST (12%). Just on principle alone I will not make any transaction that forces me to pay this much tax to any government(s).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #34  
Old 11-24-2012
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,390
Thanks: 63
Thanked 160 Times in 157 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Canadian buying boat in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carogan View Post
As a Canadian resident living in BC, I'm trying to figure out the least costly way to legally make this purchase (this process is all so complicated!!)
Understandable...

Quote:
I take it that I can't have my american vendor just remove his vessel for USCG documentation, bring it over the border himself, and then make a transaction with me in Canada where I would license it and just pay the 12% HST at that time (and hope to avoid paying the import duty because I wouldn't file it in a Canadian registry?) Because he would still have the boat licensed from his home state then I suppose this would bring up flags regarding import duties?
Two problems.. finding an American willing to do this, and it would still be an illegal importation.. the CBSA has way too much power to mess with.. you could lose the boat and be fined besides. You have far fewer rights dealing with customs than you might have with the police.

Quote:
The more I read about this convoluted process, the more I think that the most economical way for me to do this is just register and licence the boat in an Alberta registry (pay the 9.5% duty for the boat built in Taiwan, and pay the 5% GST only - Alberta has no PST), and find a way to moor it in BC. Do I have this right?
You will pay the duty wherever you actually register it. You may have a problem licensing it in AB if you're not a resident.


Quote:
If I register it in BC I understand that I'd have to pay the import duty (9.5%) AND full HST (12%). Just on principle alone I will not make any transaction that forces me to pay this much tax to any government(s).
My boat is foreign built.. I was able to show that about 30% of the purchase was attributable to add-ons and new gear that had been purchased in N.A. and got a duty exemption for that amount. However a friend was denied a similar claim a year later so I think that's hit and miss and which agent you deal with.

Just keep it all legal... it's not worth the potential down side if things go south.
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #35  
Old 11-24-2012
hellosailor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,044
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 10
hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Canadian buying boat in the USA

Really?
"As a Canadian resident living in BC,"
So you're a resident alien in Canada, not a Canadian citizen? And that would explain why you have no concept of what the local motor vehicle and tax laws are, because basically, you're just a tourist who chose to hang around?

" Because he would still have the boat licensed from his home state"
Ergh, no, again. I guess you're not from the US either, because no place in the US "licenses" boats. We license cars, but register boats.

Convoluted? Everything is convoluted when you're trying to evade taxes in a strange land and have no idea of what you've moved into.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #36  
Old 11-25-2012
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,347
Thanks: 55
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 3
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Canadian buying boat in the USA

I bought a registered boat in Cali and had it trucked to Vancouver. I used a title service in Anacortes to de-register it in the States and a Customs Broker to prepare the documentation for import. They took care of the PST/GST as part of their service.

Each of them cost about $150.

It's the only way to do it - don't waste your time trying to do it yourself.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances call CCRA for information or use anything they might tell you - they are idiots who don't know anything about the customs laws. If I had followed what they told me it would have cost me more the the trucking cost from Cali in extra costs to do it properly.

Luckily for me, the American truck driver knew more about Canadian customs regs & procedures that the staff at CCRA did.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a boat in the US to sail there as a Canadian Citizen Stewart Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum 2 04-13-2010 11:07 AM
canadian buying boat in washington adaptable23 Living Aboard 4 02-25-2010 02:11 PM
Canadian buying boat in US Tanny Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 14 01-05-2010 05:47 AM
buying Canadian LookingForCruiser Boat Review and Purchase Forum 14 03-04-2009 12:48 PM
Canadian buying US boat gottartb Boat Review and Purchase Forum 16 11-06-2008 08:38 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012