SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   Buying in Mexico? Worth it? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/73414-buying-mexico-worth.html)

Duckwheat 04-06-2011 12:26 PM

Buying in Mexico? Worth it?

How good a deal is Mexico? Worth it when purchasing a boat?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to hear from people with personal experience in regards to the following questions. I have had several people, brokers ask me if I would consider buying in Mexico or Latin America.

Those of you with no first hand experience, but feel compelled to share what your opinion is. Tell us what your opinion is based on. If it is not completly obvious from your answer. ie: My mother's second cousin once said to her step sister................

Questions

1. How much less do you feel you paid by going to Mexico? 10% 20%?

2. How did you get the boat to where you needed it? Sail it, Hire a crew, Ferry it, Truck it?

3. Did the purchase price offset the cost to ship?

4. Were you able to find a competent surveyor locally, or take one with?

5. Any governmental hassle getting the boat out of Mexico?

6. Buying a foreign owned boat (non USA) present any obstacles?

7. Anything I was too stupid to think of that any idiot should have thought of to ask?

Thanks in advance.

DW

Ilenart 04-07-2011 03:51 AM

I almost purchased a Tayana 37 last year in Mazatlan before ill health forced me to return to Oz. I found the marine facilities first rate.

On your specific questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckwheat (Post 717282)
Questions
1. How much less do you feel you paid by going to Mexico? 10% 20%?

This is a difficult question and depends more on how willing the owner is to negotiate. The yacht I was looking at had been on the market a long time (3-5 years?) so the owner was definitely realistic. However some yachts I have seen were more expensive in Mexico than in the US. You will problably get less competition from other buyers because it is harder to do, which results in a cheaper boat. Then the labour cost is cheaper, however equipment costs are more expensive. Compared to purchasing in Oz it was a no brainer; 50-70% cheaper.

Quote:

2. How did you get the boat to where you needed it? Sail it, Hire a crew, Ferry it, Truck it?
Was planning to sail the yacht back Oz via the Pacific "milk run". In fact this was one of the prime motivations for the whole exercise, getting a nice yacht for a cheap price AND spending six-nine months sailing through the Pacific.

Quote:

3. Did the purchase price offset the cost to ship?
Yes, however like I mentioned above sailing the boat back to Oz was a big motivation as well.

Quote:

4. Were you able to find a competent surveyor locally, or take one with?
There are marine surveyors available which were American citizens living in Mexico. No problems at all, did a very competent job

Quote:

5. Any governmental hassle getting the boat out of Mexico?
Never got to this stage, however I understand that it is not a big issue. There are US citizens living in Mexico that will assist for a small fee.

Quote:

6. Buying a foreign owned boat (non USA) present any obstacles?DW
Not sure, the yacht I was purchasing was US registered.

Quote:

7. Anything I was too stupid to think of that any idiot should have thought of to ask?
DW
Probably the trickiest item would of been importing equipment not available locally, ie solar panels, electronics, etc. Can be done however the import taxes sounded fairly complicated. Not insurmountable, just a hassle.

One issue I origanally hit was that I was dealing with a broker who did'nt actually have the listing for the yacht. I eventually had to ring the owner and ask him who he was listed with. Once that was sorted out there was no problems. The deposit was held by A US based company, so there was no problems when the deal did not go ahead and I got back my deposit less costs.

Marine repair facilities were also good. Many appeared to be owned by Americans employing locals at a lower cost than in US.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Ilenart

imagine2frolic 04-07-2011 11:10 AM

If I remember correctly you are from southern Ca.? Use to be if you kept the boat out of Ca. waters for 6 months you were tax exempt for Ca. I am from the S.F. area, and went as far as St. Maarten to get my boat. It can be very well worth it.......i2f

Duckwheat 04-08-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagine2frolic (Post 717700)
If I remember correctly you are from southern Ca.? Use to be if you kept the boat out of Ca. waters for 6 months you were tax exempt for Ca. I am from the S.F. area, and went as far as St. Maarten to get my boat. It can be very well worth it.......i2f

Boise, Idaho