Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011

sparkem is on a distinguished road
Help With Possible Purchase

Hello, there is a 2007 MacGregor 26 with a 50 HP outboard and trailer for sale in my area that I'm thinking of purchasing. The asking price is 14995. The bottom definitely needs a paint job and there is a crack on the deck. I'm not worried about the bottom requiring paint, but the crack concerns me. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to attach a picture, but the boat is listed on EBay item # 260772831034 (classified ad not auction. I know it's a lot to ask, but would appreciate it if someone could take the time to look up the boat and provide input about severity of the crack. I haven't inspected the boat yet since its three hours away and wanted an opinion on the crack before I made the drive.

Thank You,
Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2011

momclarissa is on a distinguished road
For a 2007 Mac 26M the price seems to be pretty good. You might want to ask the Mac owners on the MacGregorSailors.com board for an opinion on that crack.
Old 04-28-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
tick... tick... tick...

I was expecting some comments about bringing water skis for the sea trial, or something.

(sorry sparkem, some people get a little freaked by outside-of-the-box designs like the Mac 26)
Old 04-28-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Don't forget that pfd.
Attached Thumbnails
Help With Possible Purchase-waterski-behind-maczgregor.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011

CaptainMicktheSaltySailor is on a distinguished road
Wink Sparky...that Crack = T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!!

Motor Sailors...They just slay me.
Either 1/Or the Other, but don't try to do both, with the same boat!
MacGregor is just the most recent entry in this field of 'debauchery', but what-ever, I'll try to put personal feelings aside and Sparkm...give You Some constructive advice:

1-A light sanding and a couple coats of Trinidad and that bottom will be fine; or WHY Bother with "Bottom Paint"? You have a Trailer coming with it, just refinish the bottom and paint it WHITE to match the topsides! Unless You're planning on leaving it in the water weeks at a time (not likely for about 95% of the trailer-sailors out there, and these 'hybrid' motor-sailors aren't an exception to that rule), Why WASTE the money on bottom paint at all? You'll get far superior performance out of that 50hp 4stroke Yammy with a nice SHINY Bottom as well?

2-I hate to break Your heart but those 'turnbuckles' are a joke and that particular "STRESS FRACTURE" in the curvature at the hull to deck joint isn't just a 'crack in the deck'....it's a sign of SERIOUS Abuse to the Hull! I've seen racing vessels after multiple knockdowns that didn't look that bad, and some dismasted that were only slightly worse. IF that fracture at the turnbuckles is any indicator, You NEED to be looking At The Mast, the Rig (All Of It!) the Chainplates (which the turnbuckles attach to below the cabin top), and checking the OTHER SIDE as well. While it (per the pictures at the ebay listing) doesn't look "half bad", the half that I see scares the daylights out of me. That 'crack' means this vessel's had a (VERY) Abusive former owner who either:
A-Had it in Seas and Weather it was Never Intended and Designed for, or
B-Did Something with the Mast to overload that area of the deck (and Hull) so badly they could flex no further, gave up the ghost and cracked badly.

3-This is a fairly difficult Repair as well while being cosmetic, I'm betting the hull is lined with carpet (Something Mac's are famous for), which will have to be removed, chainplate (& possibly the bulkhead it's attached to and likely tons of cabinetry attached to that bulkhead) all have to get our of the way, and then You can actually make a proper FG Repair from the inside. The outside is the easy part, but the 2nd stage of a proper repair for this type of damage and not easy access is only half the problem. It's still in tight working quarters, even once You CAN Finally Get at it. I'd show that picture to a serious FG Person You know, or hit the yellow pages and find a couple estimates, which are possible from those experienced with this model, and a good look at that picture (I downloaded it from ebay and blew it up real big...You should too!). I'm betting after all disassembly/reassembly and painting/gelcoat tinting to match, You're looking at $2500.-$4000. depending again, of course on just how difficult it actually IS, to Get At It. Mine is purely a "WAG" (Wild azzed Guess), however the lowballer will walk on You before finishing the job, if it's as complicated for access as I'm guessing.

Good Luck and I don't mean to rain on Your parade...just know, when folks say "needs work"...that can be a wide open Grand Canyon sized void between what YOU think 'a little work' IS, and what THEY think a 'little' work is. I'll betcha if You ask, they already pursued quotes, and opted to sell "as is".

HTH,
-Mick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Mick is correct, the deck crack suggests some serious and expensive repairs on a boat that is extensively value engineered already.

For $15k buy yourself any number of well made used 25 foot keelboats 10 years old kept in good condition.
Old 05-03-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
I suggest that Mick & WD need to take another look at the damage. Looks like the rubrail took a hit.
(rubrail is pushed down slightly) More of an impact crack, not a "stress" crack. IMHO

The chain plate isn't attached to the deck. There is a plate riveted to the deck but the chainplate passes through it and attached to the hull by those bolts in the picture. Not a big deal to repair.

Last edited by mdbee; 05-03-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
I suggest that Mick & WD need to take another look at the damage. Looks like the rubrail took a hit.
(rubrail is pushed down slightly) More of an impact crack, not a "stress" crack. IMHO

The chain plate isn't attached to the deck. There is a plate riveted to the deck but the chainplate passes through it and attached to the hull by those bolts in the picture. Not a big deal to repair.
I think I have to agree with mdbee on the crack. Looks like the owner hit something.

I would also question if the title is clean before putting in an offer.

But more importantly, why a Mac 26? You couldn't get me to take one for free. They don't sail well. They don't motor well. Either pick a sailboat or a power boat but never both.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 05-04-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Mac26M&X's

JK - As a Mac 26S owner, I must respond. I know it's not unusual to bash Mac's but maybe a few thoughts from a Mac owner.

First off, I don't own a Mac26X or M, the "power sailers". with big motors. I own a "S" model, a "real" sailboat to use your standards, with an 8hp outboard. When I bought mine, I didn't consider the newer "power sailers" because I too wanted a "real" sailboat and I didn't want to spend the extra money for something that didn't have any extra value 'for me.'

There are many people that like some of the more unusual features of the M & X's. They may want a boat to use for fishing, running around on or maybe take their kids sking, when the family gets bored "sailing." They are a compromise BUT isn't just about everything in life a compromise? Even the X's and M's have compromises between the two.

For thirty plus years I sold motorcycles. Some people wanted "dual purpose" bikes. I knew they didn't work very well for rough off road use, they weren't as comfortable for use on the street PLUS they even cost more than the same engine size street model. People still bought them because it fit their needs and wants.

If you look at how many power sailers Roger MCGregor has sold (while many boat companies have gone out of business) you have to admit there are people out there that want this type of boat. Hell, look at the resale values.

No they aren't for everyone but I dare say we could probably make a list of negatives for just about anyone's boat on this forum.

So when you say, 'you wouldn't take one for free,' some of us find it a bit insulting and a bit narrow minded. I understand it's your opinion (and you are entitled to it) but it's my opinion you may have a somewhat narrow view. There are times when I look at some of the boats on this forum and think, boy I wouldn't want something like that but I wouldn't insult the owner's of that type of boat by saying it. I might ask a question about it or make some other comment but I would tell them that it's a piece of junk etc.

Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCatalina310 View Post
I think I have to agree with mdbee on the crack. Looks like the owner hit something.

I would also question if the title is clean before putting in an offer.

But more importantly, why a Mac 26? You couldn't get me to take one for free. They don't sail well. They don't motor well. Either pick a sailboat or a power boat but never both.

Last edited by mdbee; 05-04-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
mdbee,

I respect your opinion, but nothing you said disproves what I said with the exception that I should have specified the X or M model.

Sure life is full of compromises. When I bought my last boat, I wanted a Pacific Seacraft. My wife wanted a Catalina. We compromised on the Catalina because it would mean more time on the water and that is what I really wanted.

Based on the fact that the Mac 26 X and M sell, then someone likes them. But I just don't see the appeal. As I said, they don't sail well and they don't power well. IMO, if you want to sail, get a sail boat. If you want to get somewhere fast(er), get a power boat. But again, it is all just opinion.

As for the Mac 26S or D, they seem like OK trailer sailors. I would not be really comfortable with some of the standard equipment, like the shrouds and turnbuckles, but again, that is my opinion. They also seem like you could not tune the rigging very well with that set up. The do seem to be very comfortable below compared to other boats in their size and set up.

I'm sure there are racers or others that would say they wouldn't take a Catalina for free. In fact, my friend that I occasionally race with has said basically that. I wasn't insulted. It was just his opinion, but he has a planning hull open 30 racer. That boat is really fun to sail in ideal conditions but I would never want to be on the water in that boat in more the 15-20 kts of wind or in a storm. Like you said, everything is a compromise.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain