Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011

ljbowes is on a distinguished road
is a com pac 27 for caribbean sailing???

looking to upgrade from a great little yankee yacht 24-seahorse- to a bit larger boat with headroom. looking at a com pac 27 on a trailer.
been looking for a couple of years and now it is time to buy.
1. i live in kansas, so it has to be a lake sailer for a year or two- then to florida and the caribbean.
2. would like to get the boat now so i have two years to sail it, learn it, and do any upgrades needed.
3. have a budget- 15 to 20 k. right now.

thanks for any suggestions
jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2011

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
I would say Bahamas with 1-2 people for a week or two would be all that most of us could stand in a boat that size...but if it's just you...then...that's different.....That boat could probably make it to the Crib just fine but could you...you have to ask I think...enjoy those lakes for awhile...then explore Florida or Gulf or Chesapeake...or Bahamas first...then go from there would be my humble advice...Fair winds...!

Last edited by souljour2000; 05-04-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Com-Pac's are known to be comfortable boats to stay on. 27' is small for any long term dwelling, but if you already have a 24' you should know how well you deal with small spaces.
Old 05-04-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Look for one with the larger engine. You are likely to need it getting out to the Eastern Caribbean.
Old 05-04-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I was on Craigslist just a minute ago and found a Cal 28 that was in your neck of the woods somewhere. I will try to find it again if I have time.
Old 05-04-2011

thanks

thanks for replying to me
i am open to any suggestions, and i am still looking looking looking.
jim
Old 05-04-2011

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
What you may want to consider is how the boat of that size will act in blue water of the Atlantic. Specifically with swells with seas on top of them. The duration between swells can make a passage in a boat under at least one wavelength a really rock and roll event.

In my 36 with the typical Northern Swells we get in the Eastern Carib from about November to June it can be a real ride if your trip is more than a few hours. Speed of your boat is governed by boat length and sail area... smaller standard rig boats are slower than similar rigged larger boats... by an appreciable factor.

In your size boat, some passages would be rather long and with swells it could often be difficult. Of course any good sailor can generally make a passage in a small boat.... but normally not as comfortable or safely.

If you have not had the opportunity to sail in blue water.... it is different from lake sailing in far more than the depth of the water. The feel is very different in most conditions. You may want to take the opportunity to check it out before you jump off, with a charter in the West Indies.

Last edited by RealityCheck; 05-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2011

thanks again
looking for that cal 28,
i have charted boats befor, but the were 37 footer. and in the virgin islands, so we were in a bay every evening.
i have looked at sooo many boats 27 to 32 feet, just not sure which one is best??

thanks for the imput so far.
jim
Old 06-20-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
I just bought a Nor'Sea 27 in CA and am in the middle of towing her home to Missouri to put in Stockton Lake. My dream is that I'll tow her to the Gulf or Chesapeake summers for vacations.
Boat 8100 lbs trailer 2500 lbs but with an appropriate tow vehicle that's doable. The major issue on the road is PARKING. Running down the highway is fine but finding a motel where you can get in and out is very stressful. Fuel stations aren't a lot of fun either.
Those of us who live in flyoverland have to make choices, though, and this has been mine. Hope you find your boat.
Focus on that 8 foot beam. Don't get yourself stuck with permits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.