Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
The Title issue can also be a mess, especially if a lien is on the boat. A broker helps protect you somewhat on this issue. I refused to buy a boat out of mynstate because I was required by the loan holder to wait several weeks for the title (and hope the prior owner paid off the lien). With a death or divorce it may not be clear who actually has ownership and can legally sell.

Be careful!

rjc
Old 06-26-2011

Canadaler is on a distinguished road
All good advice...thanks.

I've been told that the boat is now under control of the estate lawyer...and if you can't trust a lawyer who can you...oh...well... nevermind.

I've got a lot of stuff to check out, both boat and paperwork-wise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Since the hull appears to be solid lay-up ( no core ) - the only key issue will be to check for evidence of bilster repair. Unlikely, but worth a careful check especially around waterline.

deck is cored so you will really want to spend a lot if tIme examine the deck hardware for evidence of leaks and poor bedding - if the deck core has water damage - think very hard before buying

There are a fair number of DIY checklists on the web which would be useful for a pre-surveyor look
Old 06-27-2011

Yeah, in my mind this is going to come down to deck and/or engine being the potential show stoppers.

Can anybody recommend a reputable surveyor in Massachusetts?
Old 06-27-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Normally the guy who wants the boat in the water pays for the launch--and haul again if they're putting it back on the hard. If they're moving it to the water, that opens up some bargaining.

Four years may have had no attention, so there may be leakage, standing water, bug or rat attacks. Engine might not have been pickled, so the rings may be seized and there may be corrosion problems. Or not.

And the fuel probably is problematic, if it runs it may still be full of glop that clogs the filters shortly.

Surveyor, engine mechanic (most surveyors don't really do engines), verify no liens with the yard, verify the title IS available in hand for transfer from the attorney. And if he knows nothing about boats...it might pay to explain that you expect to pay a fair price, but when boats have been sitting idle the problems can be very hard to see--and expensive to cure. So you need to take a careful look.

He may be more familiar with the concept of setting aside escrow, and that's ont unusual for boat sales. Purchase conditional on sea trials, survey, financing, and sometimes some money set aside in escrow, to be kept or paid depending on whether any hidden problems surface within xx days of the sale.
Old 06-27-2011

I wondered the same thing about the rings and/or cylinder corrosion. I was thinking of taking my compression tester and one of those portable battery boosters to crank the engine over and test it. (Won't be starting it on the hard though.)

I'm told by the boat yard that the engine does crank over freely although they have not started it either. Carb is likely gummed up as you say...I'm assuming they're an updraft type on this older style flathead engine?

Do you think it's reasonable, or possible...on a boat that's been sitting like this one to include a sea trial as a condition in the offer to purchase? I'm not sure anybody would really want to set out in this without really checking it out completely first. Seems like that would put the onus on the seller to cover the costs of splashing it.
Old 06-27-2011

I wondered the same thing about the rings and/or cylinder corrosion. I was thinking of taking my compression tester and one of those portable battery boosters to crank the engine over and test it. (Won't be starting it on the hard though.)

I'm told by the boat yard that the engine does crank over freely although they have not started it either. Carb is likely gummed up as you say...I'm assuming they're an updraft type on this older style flathead engine?

Do you think it's reasonable, or possible...on a boat that's been sitting like this one to include a sea trial as a condition in the offer to purchase? I'm not sure anybody would really want to set out in this without really checking it out completely first. Seems like that would put the onus on the seller to cover the costs of splashing it though...

The other thing I'm looking into is insurance which will on a boat this age require acceptable inspection. I can't imagine the surveyor just giving the thing a clean bill of health right away...I'm trying to find out what the process is after that. Make repairs per the inspector's recommendations and then get it re-inspected to satisfy the insurance company?

No wonder so many people avoid "project" boats!

Last edited by Canadaler; 06-27-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You might ask your insurer before you look for a surveyor, some will require a survey done by someone on their own list. In which case you might want that one to be the survey, instead of doing it twice.

If it is a gasoline engine you can assume the carb needs to be benched by now. If it is a diesel...welcome to a new world.

In either case, depending on the plumbing it is not impossible or unreasonable to run it on the hard, you can often rig a hose or a bucket and funnel to feed cooling water well enough for a short run up.

I wouldn't buy any boat, even a new one from a top-name yard, without a sea trial being a condition of the sale. You just never know what will turn up.
Old 06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If it is a gasoline engine you can assume the carb needs to be benched by now. .
Gas...it's an Atomic 4, unknown hours. Doesn't look too different from the old 8N Ford tractor engine I rebuilt a few years back.
Old 07-04-2011

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
These are some good comments. Although marine surveyors do not do compression checks and turn screws on engines, as a marine surveyor myself, during pre-purchase surveys I do the following to check the engines:

1. Check wiring and make sure the engines and generator are properly grounded
2. Check for signs of galvanic corrosion on the engines, shafts, and anodes
3. Conduct oil samples or engine oil (which are sent to a lab for analysis)
4. During sea trial record engine temperatures, run the engines at WOT, and check for leaks, loose engine mounts, over heating issues, etc..
5. Check exhaust and overboard discharge for unusual smoke or discolor in the discharge water
6. Check all other fluids on the engine for foriegn substances or sea water.
7. Be sure engine parts are proper and all componenets are within USCG standards.

So engine speaking, in a regular pre-purchase marine survey, a good surveyor will cover alot with the vessel's engines. An engine surveyor I recommend for older vessels (20 years or more), when a problem is suspected or for better piece of mind before making the purchase.

To find a good engine surveyor, I recommend word of mouth is the best reliability from people that have used their services in the past.

Last edited by SuenosAzules; 07-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.