Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011

Canadaler is on a distinguished road
Well...I took a look at it last Friday. Lots of issues, none of them insurmountable...but lots of them.

The engine itself (IMO) showed indications of lack of proper maintenance for years. Leaking thermostat gasket and/or bi-pass hose at front of engine led to the total corrosion of the front two head bolts/studs. Jury-rig fix on another broken engine stud, 2 cans of "Quick Start" stored on the shelf above the engine...not good signs.

Never did get the engine to turn over. Either an electrical problem in the total rat's nest of wiring throughout the engine box, or a bad starter relay.

Deck fittings that had been re-bedded were done very sloppily, some deck leakage although I didn't find any soft spots.

The keel mast step was totally corroded with adjacent damage to some plywood it was bolted to.

All the running rigging needed replacement, as (probably) the standing rigging did if it was 1970's vintage original.

Structurally, I think it was a good hull and could be restored back to it's former glory given the time and money. Too much time involved for me personally though.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and comments. They were a great help.

Last edited by Canadaler; 07-04-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Okay, I just found this thread and am anxious to say that I just bought this boat!! The survey went great! The surveyor started by saying wow "I can't believe the price" to, "If I was a sailor, I'd buy this boat", to Okay, "if you don't buy this boat call me and I'll buy it!"

He found virtually no moisture in the deck with the exception at the first 12" of the bow but still not horrible. The rest he kept looking at me saying, "it's unbelievable how dry this boat is." We had decided to run the engine with a bucket of water and before we tried he said, "even if the motor is blow this boat is a good deal." Well we borrowed a battery and it turned over, but wouldn't start, so he reluctantly sprayed on of those can laying around and it started immediately and stayed running smooth and quiet.

It does have all the issues mentioned but, for the price, this boat is great. I can replace all the rigging, add some sail handling contraptions like a Dutchmen or the like and other stuff that I think off and have a really great boat for really short money. I'll be working on it all fall, winter and spring and should be sailing by May!

There were two virtually new sails on board and two aging ones. The furler looked pretty recent and the owner's manual was on board...how old could it be?

Anyway, I am so excited about this project and I think I'm going to have a really nice performance cruiser for next year!

Anyone want to buy a very nice condition O'day 22 with new everything? well new stuff starting in 2008 and new stuff every year since, It is a boat motor and trailer, turn key condition. This was something I restored too and my wife nearly threw me out of the house when I dragged it home. You know the whole, arms crossed, tapping foot and that age old question "what the hell to you plan on doing with that?" The the arms started flapping and she was mumbling to herself as she walked back in the house!! LMAO. Now she is sorry we're going to sell it, she loves our little "sloopdawg."

Anyway, wish me luck! I've already picked up a windlass and a zodiak inflatable for it. Let the festivities begin!!
Old 09-02-2011
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road
Good luck on your new boat!
Old 09-02-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Good luck and congrats! So where are the pics?

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2011

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
Having purchased a boat that sat for 5 years I feel somewhat qualified. However, I did have confidence in the person that had done maintenance on the motor on an annual basis. While there were minor issues and some minor internal water damage from a rotten scupper, it was all quite managable. No rigging issues, engine was fine, diesel with only 550 hr, and sailes stored in a garage. Cleaning was the biggest issue. Ended up treeting it like one giant tub on the inside, but was careful of the electronics. I have been sailing it for five years with no major issues than transmission failure- More of an age issue than anything else. packing gland was just fine. If there is any water inside that got frozen, the most important thing to check would be the freshwater throughhull. Mine had been frost cracked and if there had not been a slight leak I would have likely had a real issue when launched.
Old 09-03-2011
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys! That's great advice Mark, as she doeshave water in the storage tank. The surveyor said they all looked goo but I will check the thru hulls myself. It really does seem like mostly cleaning scraping sanding an painting. Then the normal maitenace stuff. All new rigging, wiring, complete tune up o the motor... I'm very excited about this boat. I think I'll being a pretty well set up boat for a decent pricing the end! Any other advice on things to b looking at are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2011

Canadaler is on a distinguished road
SloopDogg...congratulations! Now you're making me second guess my decision to pass on it....!

Actually the boat was 10 hours away from me and I really didn't have a good place to work on it even if I were to ship it back...so I had to pass on it.

I'm sure you noticed by now but I didn't mention it in my earlier post...the cutlass bearing is very sloppy and probably needs replacement.

In any case...I'm kind of glad to see that my amateur inspection wasn't that far off the mark and I know you're going to have one heck of a nice boat once you get her cleaned up and back in ship shape. These boats point incredibly well to weather.
Old 09-03-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
SloopDog, I envy you your adventures making this boat "yours". Congratulations.
Old 09-04-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

It would be cool to maybe work with SailingDog on an addendum for inspecting/pre-surveying boats on the hard. One more thing I could see to check on would be dried-out or brittle seals on deck fills letting some water get into the tanks.
Old 09-04-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Pat, with deck fill seals being rubber parts, all rubber parts "should" be replaced every five years according to the major riubber companies. Yes, they may last 20+, but after five years it is time to re-evaluate them all and if they're cheap enough, just replace them, working or not.

I wonder if there's FDA=approved '"ood grade" ArmorAll to use on those parts?