Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011

Canadaler is on a distinguished road
Going to look at a boat thats been sitting.

I'm interested in a Viking 33 which I'm told was well looked after prior to the owner's death, but has been sitting on stands in a marina for 4 years now as an estate battle between children was being settled in court.

Any tips on what to look for in this circumstance if I go and inspect it? My plan would be to go take a look at it, then if I like what I see, call in the surveyor for their opinion.

Obviously I expect to see a project that needs some TLC and cleaning, but are there any specific things I should look for since the boat has sat for so long unused? Essentially I want to insure that I have a "sound foundation" to work with. I'm wondering about things like:

-possibility of hull "dents" where it's been contacting stands for so long
-running rigging likely in need of replacing
-dried out packing glands (prop shaft & rudder?)
-rot or mildew problems if there has been any rainwater leaking into cabin
-standing rigging corrosion?
-is it possible that hull/deck moisture readings would not turn up anything since the boat's been dry docked for so long???...hiding a potential problem when she's back in the water?
-cracked/brittle hose (head system, engine, water)
-intergrity of through hull fittings
-sails sitting in bags (I assume) for years on end

I've been told the boat was properly winterized by the marina prior to storage (near Middleton MA, which is about a 10hr drive from me.) Still has the original Atomic 4, no idea of hours on it though. Apparently it cranks over fine but has not been started in 4 years.

Certainly interested in some feedback from others as to what to look out for, pay special attention to and any other comments/suggestions you might have.

Last edited by Canadaler; 06-25-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
This is getting to be an older boat. IIRC, the Viking 33 was a precursor or early version the C&C 33 from the early '70s. Your list of questions is quite valid. Problems with the hull & deck will be easier to see than issues with the rigging. It can be a nice boat if the price is right, but you need to be alert - as you seem to be - about possible issues.
Old 06-25-2011

Thanks for your input.

I'm already figuring that both the standing and running rigging will likely need replacement, unless I can find documention that proves otherwise.
Old 06-26-2011

...another question...

Obviously there are some things that can't really be checked out until the boat is in the water.

Should I expect to pay the marina to to this in order to do a complete inspection?
Old 06-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Viking 33 is a C&C design.. and will be somewhat similar to the early C&C 33 but they are different boats. Ontario Yachts (builders of the Viking boats) have a great reputation. Solid glass (uncored) hull and cored decks, typical of the era.

They are pretty boats that will go to weather well, but of the "big headsails/skinny main" persuasion and will require careful headsail decisions in a breeze downwind. Smaller accommodation than many others, esp by today's standards but I think it's a boat you might enjoy, and it'll likely be a bit of a bargain as long as you're up to the required TLC.

We sailed a Viking 28 with similar lineage for 10 years and still have a soft spot for that boat. Pretty, strong, manageable and dependable.

After such a long layup you'll be correct to look carefully for signs of neglect and to try to separate the cosmetic from the critical. An out-of-the-water survey should find most issues; as you say, other issues require splashing. You will definitely be required to pay for any launch/lift that you may need but the good news is you won't/shouldn't need a powerwash to properly inspect the hull. A launch would be necessary for the seatrial so that's in the cards in any event.

Hopefully if things go well you can survey, launch, seatrial and carry on, avoiding a second lift/launch. However I suspect that there will be several days work between splashing and sailing off so some moorage fees will be involved as well.

Another thought... are defaulted storage fees part of the equation?

After all this time I suppose that the launch is unlikely to be prepaid? (not familiar with the standard winter haulout contracts out East)

Best of luck!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-26-2011

Thanks Faster.

Not sure what the arrangement has been with the storage of the boat. No outstanding owed that I know of...but good to check on that.

My cousin had one of the first Viking 28's made and I used to crew with him a bit back in the '70s. Also have a friend with a Viking 33 and I quite like the boat despite its older design characteristics. In fact I like that it doesn't have a cored hull, less chance for major problems.

If the boat looks good I'll talk to the marina to see what I'd be getting into with them.
Old 06-26-2011

ToppDogg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaler View Post
...another question...

Obviously there are some things that can't really be checked out until the boat is in the water.

Should I expect to pay the marina to to this in order to do a complete inspection?
Have you contacted a Surveyor yet? That would be my first move, let him decide the best route for re-commissioning.
Old 06-26-2011

My plan was to check it out myself first. If it looks like something worth the time and effort, I'll call in a surveyor to go through it and provide a report with recommendations.
Old 06-26-2011

ToppDogg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaler View Post
My plan was to check it out myself first. If it looks like something worth the time and effort, I'll call in a surveyor to go through it and provide a report with recommendations.
Agree, you should always talk first, make sure he has all the documents needed, (title, etc) and is the owner. Once that is done and you do a run thru of the boat and are happy with it, make your first bid, note on the bids that they are based on having a satisfied Surveyor inspect.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2011

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
You will have to pay to have the boat hauled out. Unless the owner for reason will do it. Need surveyor or a good study of SailingDogs thread on boat inspection.