Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011

bonez is on a distinguished road
C27 wheel to tiller conversion

I am looking at buying my friends 1987 Catalina 27. The boat is in great shape but it has a wheel which came from the factory, and I would much rather have a tiller. There is an emergency tiller which can be put in in case the wheel breaks so I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through the process of removing a wheel so there is just a tiller? What are the potential costs involved in the conversion?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011

jerryRiggin is on a distinguished road
I haven't converted but am wondering why you want to change to a tiller? Same principle as the wheel but the wheel gives you more flexibility, gives you the option of autopilot or can be lashed...
Old 07-06-2011

bonez is on a distinguished road
I have always liked the feel of a tiller particularly for a smaller sized boat. Plus you can put the tiller out of the way when just hanging in the cockpit where as the wheel takes up some usable room.

I am going to leave the wheel for now and see if I like it. Who knows maybe I will learn to like a wheel on a smaller boat. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-06-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Shouldn't be very expensive going from wheel to tiller - the reverse is the expensive way.

The only boat I have owned with a wheel was 35' and was changed to a tiller after I sold it - and the boat was better for it.

A tiller can be hinged up out of the way when in harbor so it isn't in anybody's way.

Tillers are a bit more reliable too. Maintenance is minimal.
Old 07-11-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
I guess my question would apply to this thread so I'll go ahead and ask. I am also someone who prefers a tiller to a wheel. I learned with a tiller. My Endeavour had wheel steering and I never learned to like it. This statement will make me look like a moron but I admit that every time I wanted to tack to port, I turned the wheel to starboard! There, I said it!

I will now pause until the laughter dies down...

At least I only made that mistake once with a tiller, my first time on the helm actually. I was told that it takes some people quite a while to master the concept. I can't attest to the accuracy of that statement though. In fact, I do prefer the tiller because I felt more in touch with the boat. It was simplicity at its finest and I enjoyed the feel of the water rushing over the rudder. Space, dependability, and low maintenance are icing on the cake!

My question is; can any boat be converted to a tiller for a reasonable cost? Keep in mind that I am looking for a boat 30' to 37 ' and most that I have seen have wheel steering.
Old 07-11-2011

Depends where the rudder post is. It may or not work out depending on the design.
Old 07-23-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
IdaSailor if you must...

If you get the boat, try it with the wheel for at least a season, there's a good chance you will like it.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-23-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12345 View Post
Now that is surely not needed, Catalina 27s are tiller boats, the original rudder should be just fine. Plus, that thing is about 1/3 the price of an entire C27.
the boat HAS A WHEEL he wants to convert! so "that" is not necessary

I guess he can use a piece of pipe for a tiller too? lol

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-23-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2011

If the wheel and all its accessories are sold for a reasonable price you should come out way ahead after buying a varnished wood tiller. And be a better sailor for it as well.
Old 07-23-2011
Lies about her age

chances are the rudder post is quite different from the wheel steering rudder. Although it should be researched before "tearing" into it.

One of these have to be found or purchased;

$599.00

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-23-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Tags
c27 , catalina 27 , tiller , wheel