Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011

smacdade is on a distinguished road
Grampian 72 26ft

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some insight into Grampains. I actually don't know anything about them. Looking for what people think about them in general and any owners. Non owners or previous owners insight would be great.

There is one I am considering purchasing, it has been completely restored, and askin 13k for it. I need to go see it and still need to figure out who and why there was a restoration done.

I know little about these boats, but I would be using it on St johns river in Jax, fl and inter coastal and coastal trips. Day weekender.

Thanks for insight,

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I can't tell you much about Grampian boats but any boat 30 or so years old could do with a restoration at some level. Like everything else, houses and cars they get tired.

If you are not aware of it here is a link to the owners group.
index
Old 07-19-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
It was a great little (first)starter boat for us. Came with a Honda 9.9 outboard(had plenty of room for a small inboard) and a dingy which we used to call it our 5 dollar dingy..'cause the bill of sale had to reflect the the value of the dingy for tax reasons. We went places that most boats couldn't go. It was a perfect boat for the Chesapeake Bay for us. Things to watch out for..it is a mast stepped on the cabin top and there is not much support underneath..look for sagging under neath where the mast is supported. Also look for corrosion around the keel bolts. Also look for blisters and any evidence of 'Oil Canning' as there not many stringers in its design to prevent this condition. Check the condition of the rudder and the rudder stock as we had to replace ours due to crevice corrosion. Other wise it a tough little Canadian built boat.

Good luck,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Lankford Bay Marina
Rock Hall,Md.

Last edited by aa3jy; 07-19-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2011

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
The Grampian G-26 is an excellent boat.

Whether you plan on cruising or racing, the boat won't let you down, and will be very competitive on the race course.

Maintenance is the key to any boat being in good shape. There should not be any problem with mast support, since it is braced by a huge piece of oak that is sealed under the mast step. I have never heard of any problems with that area. All rudders need to be inspected annually and sealed up where necessary. Here in the north, we remove the rudder before winter storage. We then store them upside down in a non freezing temperature to ensure no water is inside them. This advice was given many years ago by George Cassian (of C&C fame).

Grampian made nearly a thousand of the G-26 model. It has the interior volume of most 30 footers, and does comfortably sleep 4-5 people.

"Oil canning" is not a problem if proper maintenance has been done on the bulkheads. On any boat of that vintage, you should have already replaced the bulkheads with new ones (according to a reputable SAMS surveyor).

Great boats - enjoy!
Old 07-19-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
Whether you plan on cruising or racing, the boat won't let you down, and will be very competitive on the race course.

Maintenance is the key to any boat being in good shape. There should not be any problem with mast support, since it is braced by a huge piece of oak that is sealed under the mast step. I have never heard of any problems with that area. All rudders need to be inspected annually and sealed up where necessary. Here in the north, we remove the rudder before winter storage. We then store them upside down in a non freezing temperature to ensure no water is inside them. This advice was given many years ago by George Cassian (of C&C fame).

Grampian made nearly a thousand of the G-26 model. It has the interior volume of most 30 footers, and does comfortably sleep 4-5 people.

"Oil canning" is not a problem if proper maintenance has been done on the bulkheads. On any boat of that vintage, you should have already replaced the bulkheads with new ones (according to a reputable SAMS surveyor).

Great boats - enjoy!
As a former owner of a G26, which by-the-way was unfortunately totaled by a neighboring boat in a freak October storm on the Chesapeake Bay. Not sure what you mean by "proper maintenance" when in fact there where not enough bulk heads designed in the first place where the "oil canning" occurs. The support that you speak of under the mast on top of the mast is a aluminum channel for which the mast is stepped too and can be lowered by pivoting forward. Inside the boat there is a cross piece 90 degrees to the exterior aluminum channel. When that interior support cross piece starts to sag under continued loading there is no amount of adjustment that will take up the slack in the standing rigging. Either that cross piece has to be replaced/rebuilt or what we did was make a shim for the aluminum channel thus raised the mast to the original spec.

Our rudder post had a dissimilar metal bolt drilled and placed..possibly used to prevent the rudder from rubbing/foaling against the bottom of the boat which eventual caused serious electrolytic corrosion eventually almost caused total failure of the rudder stock.

Asking 13K on a boat of that age..I'd have second thoughts..but there is no mention as to what is included in the purchase nor the amount of restoration

Last edited by aa3jy; 07-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2011
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Many other threads on the G26, including my opinion on them.... do a search. 13K is way too much for this boat unless it has an inboard diesel. Average price is about 7k
Old 07-19-2011

Yachtworld shows 7 for sale currently, prices of 3900, 4250, 4800, 7385, 9744, 10154, and 12821. Average is 7579 asking and I bet you could buy any of them for 15% to 20% below asking. None have diesels.
Old 07-19-2011

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
There are so many vessels out there to evaluate...

Don't jump into a purchase without casting a critical eye on the many vessels that this market offers at this time. Be sure to get a survey done by the expert of your choosing. I have to agree that the price sounds too high but if someone spent too much on redoing his vessel, I think that they are trying to recover their expenses and time/effort.

Our Grampian 26 was purchased for $5,000 and it included the slip for the year and a sailing dinghy. Great ratio of money to fun. We sailed it from one end of the bay to the other. We had the outboard engine so volume for storage was amazing however we missed having an inboard when the prop would exit a steep wave and the outboard would roar.

You did not say where you were going to sail, whether the vessel had an inboard or outboard engine, what do you want to use the boat for or if you had considered other makes of vessels. The Grampian 26 does not have much deck...that is why the interior is so large. Decks are not to be under-rated if you sail in any weather.

Good luck in your shopping. Do look at some other vessels that could be out there in that price range. I think you could be surprised in what you could find.

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Old 07-19-2011

If the average price of a boat is X, and someone puts a lot of money into his, he can't expect to get it all back. If the boat shows well he may get 15% or so more and it may sell quicker as the best of the model available. The selling price of the others will keep it to this level. Even if it is the best model X out there.

Same as having the most expensive house on a street - the others help determine what it is worth.

There are many great buys out there - have an open mind when shopping.
Old 07-19-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Great McGruer design, but priced at about 200% of market value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.