Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011

SeaQwest is on a distinguished road
Seeking a Marine Surveyor in FL

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on marine surveyors servicing the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area.

Will some of them perform a dedicated engine survey, as well, or do I need to find a separate individual for this service?

What main credentials or certifications will the better surveyors possess?

Thank you for your help.

Jim
SeaQwest
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
Hello, I am a marine surveyor in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida but travel the state of Florida for marine surveys.

Typically a dedicated engine survey that includes compression checks and a more hands on analysis is conducted by a separate engine surveyor. I know of two good ones in the area and can refer you to them. On a regular marine survey the engine(s) is part of the survey. As a marine surveyor, the best way to test the engine(s) is in the sea trial. This includes running the engines at WOT (wide open throttle), backing down, turing rudders hard over, etc. Also part of the survey is checking the fluids (looking for foreign substances and appropriate levels), looking for leaks, proper hose connections, advanced rust, loose engine mounts, fire hazards, proper wiring, USCG approved fuel lines, condition of fuel / water filters, sea strainers, evidence of galvanic corrosion, etc.. So the engines are pretty well covered even without the more intensive engine survey. Keep in mind that a regular marine surveyor can not turn wrenches on an engine. It is usually against their insurance and outside the scope of a marine survey so that is where an engine surveyor will come in if you or the marine surveyor feels it is necessary.

As far a credentials, I believe this is important. Marine surveying by law is unregulated so you will get some self proclaimed "surveyors" in the business. I see this quite a bit in the Caribbean.

A marine surveyor should be a member of SAMS or NAMS, two professional organizations that have a standard code of professional conduct, reporting format, and mandated annual continuing education. Also having other professional memberships and valid accredidations adds credability. background and training experience is also very helpful.

As for me I hold memberships with SAMS (Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors), ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council), NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), and the IAMI (International Association of Marine Investigators). I am also ABYC Standards Accredited (which are safety standards most yacht builders build boats by), a former member of the U.S. Coast Guard, and a USCG Licensed Master Captain.

Remember that the cost of the survey is not the most important, it is the quality. If a cheap surveyor spends just two hours on your boat and misses several important things, it can cost you, the boat owner thousands down the road, if not your life if a safety problem is overlooked (such as a leaking fuel tank, cracked stringer, an open electrical ground, etc..). On a 35 foot vessel, a proper survey should take all day, and the report should be thorough, with plenty of pictures, and detailed descriptions of everything pertaining to the vessel. Nothing should be left out.

My website contains sample surveys and more information about marine surveys. It is at: SuenosAzules dot com.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything or have any questions. I hope this has helped.
Old 08-01-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQwest View Post
I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on marine surveyors servicing the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area.
I used Thomas Laskey for a survey in Fort Myers, FL and was very happy with his work.

JdFinley.com | Sailing, development, and life with JD
Old 08-14-2011

SeaQwest is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your responses.

I was "under the gun" so had to act shortly after posting. I chose a surveyor from the BoatUS recommended list. I was fortunate to have picked a thoroughly knowledgeable and extremely competent professional who held my interests as his only priority. I would use this individual again in a heartbeat. His name is Jon Howe (Nautical Services Group).

Again, thank you.

Jim
SeaQwest