Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011

Allen-deckard is on a distinguished road
Trailer Sailor/Lake Sailor

I know there are lots of other threads out there on the topic +- what I'm wanting but was hoping maybe someone could give me some personal feedback.

Guess I am pretty sure I know what I want as far as what I'm hoping to get out of the experience but what boat to choose I'm hoping not necessarly for someone to tell me "the" boat but maybe some suggestions.

So here's where I am in a nutshell.

I live on a lake. Pretty big lake Lake cumberland in Ky 1200 miles of coast.
Not the best sailing lake I know but wouldn't be the only sailboat on the lake either.

It has to be a trailer sailor. I dont want to be stuck on this lake only although it will be in a slip most of the year on the lake.

However getting the boat "OUT" of the lake means pulling the boat out on a trailer out of the water even though our ramps are steep droping off around 10' per 15' ratio.

A good portion of the lake is sheltered by moutains but it wide enough that even those portions have some wind.

White caps on the lake are rare.

I want to camp on the boat with me and my wife.

The first boat I had my somewhat heart set on was a macgregor not the 50hp model 1994 Macgregor 26S sailboat for sale in Ohio

The more I look up on them like others have said there seems to be a great hatred for them. However a weighted keel boat would seem extreemly hard to trailer.

I have a marina no more than 5 min from my house which will be my obvious choice to keep the boat in a slip but like I've said I'll be trailering to other places a couple times a year for a week or two.

I'd like to pull the boat behind a 1/2 ton pick up or possibly a jimmy. No desire to buy a 1 ton truck for one purpose only.

So anyway other than the macgregor can someone give me some suggestions that might fit the bill of a weekend trailer sailor that's deciently easy to pull out of the water. That is good in light air thats comfortable for 2 to camp in for the weekends. But can be sailed by 1.

Price range from 5 to a cap of 15k.

I hope I havent narrowed my search down so narrow that theres nothing left as I'd like to keep my options open.

Any help anyone might be able to give me will not fall on a deft ear but would be extreemly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011

Allen-deckard is on a distinguished road
reread that guess it wasn't much of a nutshell
Old 07-27-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22 or Hunter 22 with centerboard. Catalina 25 with centerboard, pretty big boat so not sure on your pulling capacity. Same with the O'Day 25 with centerboard. Both Hunter and Catalina make water-ballasted boats, probably others too. There are numerous other manufacturers out there that make trailerable boats. Do a search on Yachtworld or SailboatListings for boats in the 22-24 or 25 foot range and you will see many opportunities. The Catalina and O'Day 25's, think Hunter has one too not sure, with centerboards can be trailered but most folks call them "transportable" as opposed to truly "trailerable".

Hunter, Catalina, McGreggor are all still in business with active owner associations. There is the West Wight Potters too.... all kinds of things to consider. Probably why I am still "looking in to it" when it comes to buying my boat.

Take your time and you will find the right one for your situation.

CB

EDIT: Also try posting in the various manufacturer specific forums for what peoples experiences are like. Also, there are boat reviews in the "Resources" menu here. Personal experience from owners there as well.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cb32863; 07-27-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Precision makes a nice line of trailerables. So does Compac. Seaward makes a 26 footer that is trailerable and they used to make some smaller versions that are still fairly new.

There have been legions of trailer sailors that went out of business in the 80's. Some were nice boats other's were not so nice. All boats of that era would need some pretty extensive refits if they have not been done already. There are probably some pretty good buys on boats out there that have been.

And then there is the Catalina 22 and 25. You will probably find more of those on the used market than any other boat out there. With the possible exception of the Magregor. I personally wouldn't own one, but if going fast is what you need it is probably your go to boat. I don't think I would believe their advertisement about pulling a water ski'er. Maybe a someone on a tube... The ease of trailering is also a nice feature with a water ballast.
Old 08-05-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
The original poster's constraints would probably rule out the more expensive premium trailer-sailers and I believe the OP was more interested in the "classic" MacGregors and not the less sailing-focused powersailers.

For my own two cents worth, I've found that happiness for me is having a boat whose towing weight is far below the nominal towing capacity of my towing vehicle, particularly for longer distances on freeways. For that reason, it might be useful to look at the nominal boat displacement weights.
Old 08-05-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Used Santana 2023s are worth a look

Brochure

http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pd...antana2023.pdf
Old 08-06-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
...or the Santana 20 if you can launch a keelboat, don't need significant accommodation, and want more performance, especially in light air.
Old 08-06-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I can only speak for the Catalina 22 'poptop' with a swin keel.

I had the UK version and liked it, sailed it offshore, island hopped around Scotlands West coast and trialed it down to the Adriatic from the UK.

I liked the extra room the poptop gave. It had LOTS of storage space. It sailed fairly well although I believe there is a tall mast option for light air sailors. I had an 8hp OB.

IMHO that size of boat is about the max you should consider if you plan to trail any distance with your current vehicle.

Get one that has a 4 wheel trailor if you can.
Old 08-06-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Mac's

Just keep one thing in mind, Most of those "experts" that criticize the Macgregors don't know the difference between the D, S, X or M. Nor have they ever sailed one. Most of them get the classic models mixed up with the power sailers. There are also other websites that can give you a more unbiased views of different trailer sailers.

I trailer my S model and have sailed on lakes but mainly in the bays of south Texas. Couldn't be happier with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen-deckard View Post
I know there are lots of other threads out there on the topic +- what I'm wanting but was hoping maybe someone could give me some personal feedback.

Guess I am pretty sure I know what I want as far as what I'm hoping to get out of the experience but what boat to choose I'm hoping not necessarly for someone to tell me "the" boat but maybe some suggestions.

So here's where I am in a nutshell.

I live on a lake. Pretty big lake Lake cumberland in Ky 1200 miles of coast.
Not the best sailing lake I know but wouldn't be the only sailboat on the lake either.

It has to be a trailer sailor. I dont want to be stuck on this lake only although it will be in a slip most of the year on the lake.

However getting the boat "OUT" of the lake means pulling the boat out on a trailer out of the water even though our ramps are steep droping off around 10' per 15' ratio.

A good portion of the lake is sheltered by moutains but it wide enough that even those portions have some wind.

White caps on the lake are rare.

I want to camp on the boat with me and my wife.

The first boat I had my somewhat heart set on was a macgregor not the 50hp model 1994 Macgregor 26S sailboat for sale in Ohio

The more I look up on them like others have said there seems to be a great hatred for them. However a weighted keel boat would seem extreemly hard to trailer.

I have a marina no more than 5 min from my house which will be my obvious choice to keep the boat in a slip but like I've said I'll be trailering to other places a couple times a year for a week or two.

I'd like to pull the boat behind a 1/2 ton pick up or possibly a jimmy. No desire to buy a 1 ton truck for one purpose only.

So anyway other than the macgregor can someone give me some suggestions that might fit the bill of a weekend trailer sailor that's deciently easy to pull out of the water. That is good in light air thats comfortable for 2 to camp in for the weekends. But can be sailed by 1.

Price range from 5 to a cap of 15k.

I hope I havent narrowed my search down so narrow that theres nothing left as I'd like to keep my options open.

Any help anyone might be able to give me will not fall on a deft ear but would be extreemly appreciated.
DRFerron likes this.
Old 08-16-2011

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Aquarius 23. Very easy to sail, lots of room. Easily trailered. Big cockpit.