Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011

mkwal is on a distinguished road
Irwin Restoration

Looking at on older Irwin 38 as a project. Needs lots of work but dirt cheap.

Any opinions on Irwins or on this crazy idea of mine.

Also would like to talk to anyone that has restored.

Thanks
deniseO30 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
What is the market price on a boat completely refurbished already?

I'd bet it isn't nearly as much as you'd spend fixing major projects on an old boat. Speaking in generalities, my advice would be to find a Irwin 38 (if you love this model) in bristol condition already and then either negotiate *HARD* on price, or find one that only needs cosmetic work.
Old 07-27-2011

mkwal is on a distinguished road

So if I told you I could get it for $3500, All sails and heavily equipped (the equipment needs repair) and hull recently surveyed..Been out of water for about two years....
Old 07-27-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Important things are keel and keel attachment/bolts etc rudder and steering gear, masts booms, rigging. If you don't sail it in the first year you will lose interest fast. how about the engine? Photos would be great to see!

Owners site http://irwinyachts.com/index.html

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwal View Post
So if I told you I could get it for $3500, All sails and heavily equipped (the equipment needs repair) and hull recently surveyed..Been out of water for about two years....
List out the deficiencies found on the survey. Also was it a survey the owner commissioned, or a third party? An owner commissioned survey isn't worth much...huge conflict of interest.
Old 07-27-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
I'd go for it if it floats. Even if you had to put in a new engine, you're getting it too cheap for that to hurt you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 08-05-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
You better be VERY handy, love working on them as much as sailing them and prepared for a LOT of work. I've done it a couple of times and made out O/K but I love the work. You CAN get a lot of boat cheap if you shop wisely - consignment shops, Craigslist etc.

When judging if you want to take on a project, keep in mind how much work a very good boat takes to keep nice - it takes 10 to 100 times that much to bring back a beater. The work has to be viewed as a hobby in itself for it to work for you, otherwise it will become another broken dream in the back of a boatyard.

If it floats and can be used it has a better chance of working out but it will take a LOT longer to get it the way you want it. A boat that size can't be restored in a few hours on weekends, it is a MAJOR commitment of time & resources.

One thing to think about - a bare hull that size will cost $60K or more.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-05-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwal View Post
The winches would cost that to replace! How about some pictures? It sounds too good to be true so I'd be looking for something serious like a rotted deck core or it's been under or something major like that.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-01-2011

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
What vintage is this Irwin? I owned a 1970 38' aft cockpit, Irwin sloop,I loved it and wish I had it still.Mine had a swing keel, around 3 ft. draft keel up 4cyl universal diesel w V drive solid hull, almost bullet proof. Just loved the classic lines,very sea kindly. Good luck, Art.
Old 09-02-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
As posted you had better love the work and be skilled enough to pull it off. And remember anything you buy for the boat will be at today's prices - these costs add up fast. Even without serious problems you could spend 10k to 20k on electrical, plumbing and rigging. Price out any repairs first, add them up, and compare to the market value of a boat in good condition. There are many good boats for sale now for a low dollar.

And get your own survey.