Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Andrew:
That's good news. It means that there are no duties due on it, because of NAFTA. I think the total fees were about $35. I imported the boat in Point Roberts. Took about an hour to fill out the forms and pay. Let me refer to my notes/records and I'll post a "how to" OK?
When are you planning on doing this.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2011

acr98075 is on a distinguished road
Hi David,

Yes a "How to" post sounds like a good plan.

Not sure of dates, its not a done deal yet - Just had the survey done yesterday so need the survey report to come through.
Also need to secure a moorage in Seattle area, figure out how long it will take to get the boat from West Vancouver to Seattle (5 knot cruising speed)
and work out some time off from work.
Old 08-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If you can get the trip done sooner than later with some of the longer days still around, you should be able to get down here in a long two day weekend, also assuming you can catch the tides vs going against.

A 32' boat should cruise closer to 6 knots and still get decent fuel useage. My 29.5 OA 24.5 LWL does 5.8-6 easy, I can wide open throttle and do 6.6, but fuel useage doubles to something over 1 gal an hr vs .5-.7 gals and hr. Not sure what Davids old Cat 30 did, but would assume equal.

Marty
Old 08-29-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A few years back my son and I took his new-to-him Ranger 29 from Tacoma to Vancouver in a 31 hour overnite trip, up the laConner 'Ditch'. That's going the other way but we rarely had favourable tide and I imagine our ground speed was around 5 knots much of the time. Our time Seattle to Vancouver was about 25 hours. This was a motoring delivery trip in light breezes for the most part.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-02-2011

acr98075 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice - yes theoretical hull speed is 6.5 I believe, but I was reckoning on 5 knots average - taking into account unfavourable tides etc. Yes want to do the trip ASAP - already i am noticing the days grow shorter.
Old 10-02-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
I second the recommendation for Van de groot. Seen him at work, very thorough.
Had a very bad survey here... so get a boat friend to help look her over too.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: surveyors in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I second the recommendation for Van de groot. Seen him at work, very thorough.
Had a very bad survey here... so get a boat friend to help look her over too.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Jan De Groote was the surveyor who told a client that 5/16th rigging wire and 5/8th turnbuckles were not strong enough for a 29 footer. He refused to put that survey in writing, but charged the full bill for it. He also told a friend that cleats made out of 1 1/4 inch stainless shaft, welded well into the hull, were not "Yacht quality" cleats. It seems he would prefer something screwed down, made out of melted down beer cans, from a ship swindlery, than something which put structural strength over stylishness. It appears that he values trendy," yachtie flimsiness" over structural strength.
If you are seeking a survey which judges a boat by it's snobby yachtieness, and its value as a status symbol, rather than how well it is put together, then Degroote is the guy to hire. If you prefer seaworthiness over stylishenes, then I wouldnt recommend Jan De groote.

Tony Skidmore is an excellent Vancouver surveyor. For a seaworthines evaluation , over "yachtieness" ,find someone who surveys commercial boats.
Old 10-15-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Jan De Groote was the surveyor who told a client that 5/16th rigging wire and 5/8th turnbuckles were not strong enough for a 29 footer. He refused to put that survey in writing, but charged the full bill for it. He also told a friend that cleats made out of 1 1/4 inch stainless shaft, welded well into the hull, were not "Yacht quality" cleats. It seems he would prefer something screwed down, made out of melted down beer cans, from a ship swindlery, than something which put structural strength over stylishness. It appears that he values trendy," yachtie flimsiness" over structural strength.
If you are seeking a survey which judges a boat by it's snobby yachtieness, and its value as a status symbol, rather than how well it is put together, then Degroote is the guy to hire. If you prefer seaworthiness over stylishenes, then I wouldnt recommend Jan De groote.

Tony Skidmore is an excellent Vancouver surveyor. For a seaworthines evaluation , over "yachtieness" ,find someone who surveys commercial boats.
I'd almost prefer being told things were not ok when they were over what happened to me. I got the everything looks great, and a few minor fixes in writing in the survey, along with a half page of caveats for what they weren't responsible for, got billed a lot more than most surveyors charge. Fixing the boat has emptied my bank account, and I still haven't taken her for a single sail yet. On the bright side the next owner is going to get a damn nice boat, and I'll be able to pay off half my loan with what I get back to try again, then I can pay off the other half of the 20 grand and try again.
Old 10-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I'd almost prefer being told things were not ok when they were over what happened to me. I got the everything looks great, and a few minor fixes in writing in the survey, along with a half page of caveats for what they weren't responsible for, got billed a lot more than most surveyors charge. Fixing the boat has emptied my bank account, and I still haven't taken her for a single sail yet. On the bright side the next owner is going to get a damn nice boat, and I'll be able to pay off half my loan with what I get back to try again, then I can pay off the other half of the 20 grand and try again.
This is a good reason to avoid surveyors who put "Stylishness" at the top of their list of priorities, instead of giving honest answers about things which realy matter. The former pay no regard to what you have to spend ,and assume all their clients are super rich, and have no budget concerns. They will have you wasting cruising funds on their own "Yachtie, status symbol" priorities , rather than that which really matters.