Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011

Dbltime is on a distinguished road
what do you think my boat is worth? NY-36

Full disclosure: I am a yacht broker in Annapolis. Don't hold that against me ;-) as this is my personal boat for the last 6 years.

absolutely trashed NY 36 with a new rig
had one of the best yards on the bay:
re-core the decks
all new harken hardware
6 new Quantim laminated sails
new foil
all new running rigging and hardware
new fuel tank
all new hoses, head, hot water, shower
re-wired, new panels
bottom faired and VC-19
All new: AIS 2X Garmin 8" plotters, A/P, VHF, stereo, wind instruments
Awlgripped the hull and decks (hull is red)
new dodger (companionway, interior cushions, cockpit cushionns holding tank....
new Racor, strainers, batteries...
Motor is original and healthy.
I have had it for sale since the Spring and have had 2 showings. I bought a new boat months ago. Asking 29,500. with over $135 in the boat. The sails and electronics are worth the price. Should I fire myself?
Summer Schock likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Nobody can give you a good answer based on a description. Even with a boat-load of pictures, it would just be a complete guess. Condition is so important to the price of a boat more than a couple of years old that any useful guess would require a thorough examination of the boat.

In addition, the market price is going to vary drastically from one location to another, so any guess would have to take that into consideration, also.

In the end, the bottom line is that if you want to sell it quickly you have to price it lower. The fact that it has not sold in the amount of time that you WANTED to sell it in, tells you that you are asking too much.

Offer it for $1 and I'd bet you could sell it tomorrow. Offer it for $1 million and you will probably never sell it. Somewhere in between there is a price that will get it sold in the next few weeks, or months. You just need to figure out what the right price is.
Old 10-21-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Tough Times Indeed

I'm kinda familiar with this model - there are now three (3!) of them in our YC.
Really fast design with good handling, but you need to find a buyer who is seeking a sail boat and plans on only limited cruising.
That interior layout will probably not appeal to any newbies who have already accepted as "normal" the interior of a late model HuntaCataBenaLina.

And then, "It's the economy"... really, it is.

Our local boat brokers seem to be just hanging on by their teeth. Fire sale pricing is moving some older boats, and some of the modern "second home" sailboats are selling for high $, albeit verrry slowly.

Have you advertised it in SA? Lots of performance sailors look there first.

Best,
LB
Old 10-21-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
I have seen quite a few bargains out there in your price range (look up my previous post about the Farr 37 and C&C 36).

Don't limit yourself to yachtworld, if that is where you are advertising it. Put it on eBay with a high reserve, list it on Craigslist for Annapolis, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and Southern Maryland for full exposure to all us bottom feeders.

Is the boat more than 30 years old so conventional financing would likely not be available? That might be a problem.

The NY36s never caught on as a one design on the Bay as the J/35s did. In PHRF, I imagine you would now be in the same class with the newer, lighter sport boats and sprit boats. You need a decent size crew to race and the boat would be challenging for a couple who want a fast cruiser.

How did you end up putting so much money into the boat? Was it an incremental process or a whole project approach?

Last edited by jameswilson29; 10-21-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Smile Nice!

She looks nice..."Cheap Red" - you have a sense of humor!

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Can you singlehand the boat?

Gotta love that engine access.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 10-21-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
If it's as good as it looks and sounds, it's a good deal AFAIAC. I like that interior layout. I've been on a couple of old IOR warhorses that used it - a one tonner and a 1/2 tonner. It makes very good use of the space available but offers little privacy.

I guess you just have to fire yourself

Actually, I think it's just the market and you'll either have to wait or "give" it away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-21-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Well, I hate to say this, but the truth is, she's only worth about $1000.00
So, in the interest of camaraderie, I'll go ahead and take her off your hands for that. Send me the title and we'll figure out how you can get her down to me. Now, don't go getting all emotional, what are sailnet friends for, right?

(on a serious side, I really dig what you've done. If it wasn't for the evil one (the economy), I can't imagine she'd still be looking for a new home. Good luck)
Old 10-21-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Nice looking boat, Dbltime. No useful comment on the value .... but your mainsheet traveler setup has me thinking. I haven't seen this particular arrangement before, but admittedly, I've not looked at a lot. Seems like a good way to keep your control lines center cockpit, where you want them and not chasing them with the movement of the car. Any comments on its use?

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 10-21-2011

4arch is on a distinguished road
I was on a NY 36 earlier this summer and actually thought the interior layout could be quite awesome for a cruiser. It's kind of the reverse of the Gozzard 41 layout.

I agree with SloopJon’s comments re holding out vs cutting the price. The list price is not unreasonable but it’s definitely a niche product looking for a special buyer.

You might want to replace the pictures of the boat sans headliner with some showing the new installation. Things like that can really turn people off because they go straight for the pictures and don’t even bother reading the text once they see something off putting.

By the way, I’m really curios as to how you get that 6’-4” draft boat in and out of Queenstown Creek?! I've met a lot of people with boats of much lesser draft who wouldn't go near the place and I've been reluctant to do it at low tide myself. What's your secret?!
Old 10-21-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have seen your boat around the Bay (we actually had a brief tacking duel up on the Chester River a year or so ago) and admire the condition that you had her in. You really have done a great job restoring her.

I saw your post when it went up and have wrestled with whether to respond. I felt that to be truthful would be hurtful, and there was no point in not being truthful. I know this only represents my opinion and there may be others who will disagree with me. As someone who is quite familiar with these boats and boats like them from this era, from my perspective, I would respectfully suggest that boats like yours are always tough sells, even in boom times. There is nothing more obsolete than an obsolete race boat, and there few race boats more obsolete than these pre-Fastnet IOR designs.

While the NY 36 was a great boat for its day, its day was very short lived. Boats like the Ranger 37, J-34 (IOR), Ericson 36(Holland), San Juan 34 and the Nicholson half tonners were real revelations when they showed up on the race course. Compared to what they replaced they were amazing upwind and pretty quick off the wind. And in that era, Bill Cook was certainly one of the better designers.

But compared to the boats which replaced them on the race course they were difficult to sail in a chop, were not very good in light going and were a real handful in a breeze, tender and reliant on rediculously large crews on the rail.

As more well rounded designs like the J-36, J-35, Santana 35 and their ilk hit the race course, these older designs really could not compete very easily. These old middle era IOR boats would have their odd good race, but it was very hard to turn in a consistent record. They were quick to lose speed and difficult to get back to speed. They took a knowlegable and skilled crew to really make them go.

While the great restoratation offsets this somewhat, Schock was always known for pretty mediocre build quality. I loved boats like the Schockwave 30 and Santana 35 but locally they were considered pretty fragile.

If I were trying to sell a boat like this one, I would have to ask myself who is my target market. In this case its not racers since these boats stopped being competitive (except at a very low club level) decades ago. (Olaf had the last successful NY36 campaign on the Chesapeake that I can remember and he stopped being competative in the late 1980's) Its not a newbie, because these boats have a very complicated rig, and deck hardware which would scare them away. Its not the preformance cruiser since they had a strange cockpit layout and stranger still interior layout (with the dinette tucked in under the cockpit), and they don't offer the forgiving sailing characteristics that performance cruisers look for. Other negatives are running backstays, the two-burner alcohol stove, and the volvo engine. To me, your Yachtworld text is spot on. You are looking for that one person who remembers these boats fondly and who can't afford a more upscale boat of that era. But oddly I would suggest that you are sort of competing with boats like the S2 9.1, J-30, Kirby 30, and perhaps Laser 28's which have similar interior size, and cockpit size, but are better race boats, better built and easier to sail short-handed.

And now to answer your question, I would suspect that you would have a hard time even getting $20K out of her. If you really want her out the door, I think your asking price needs to be down in that range. In the old days boats like these were so hard to sell that they were simply donated to the Naval Academy. The Naval Academy had quite a few NY 36's at one time.

Saying that saddens me knowing how much you must have put in the old girl. I am often asked about boats that someone wishes to buy and restore. My advice is always pick a boat that will be very desirable when you are done since it does not cost all that much more to restore a desireable design than a white-elephant. My second piece of advice is you must buy a less than perfectly desireable design, buy one that someone lovingly restored because it will be a bargain compared to buying a junker and trying to restore it yourself. Sadly, this case violates both of those recommendations. I wish it were otherwise.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay