SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   Is it crazy not to get a survey (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/84065-crazy-not-get-survey.html)

WildJasmine 02-18-2012 10:50 PM

Is it crazy not to get a survey

I have several years of experience repairing and maintaining boats and pretty much know what to look for. If I am only spending 5,000 is it crazy not to get a survey?

Lake Superior Sailor 02-18-2012 11:03 PM

I think not,if you know whats going on, there is no reason you can't do it yourself! But; surveys can Save a lot if you don't know,...Dale

FSMike 02-18-2012 11:05 PM

I doubt that I would get a survey in that price range. You just have to be sure you don't miss something potentially expensive.

Faster 02-18-2012 11:23 PM

Agree...esp if you're confidant you know what to look for yourself. At that value you may not even be concerned about insurance, which might require a survey.

MARC2012 02-19-2012 06:36 AM

I would not EVERY survey I have seen had serious issues.

Dog Ship 02-19-2012 08:03 AM

Every time I hear something about boat surveyors I bust out in laughter.
It's an unregulated industry that requires no training what so ever. Even an accredited S.A.M.S. yacht surveyor requires no education at all.
All you need to become an accredited boat surveyor is 3 years of experience running the till or scraping boat bottoms in a marina and complete a simple test. You only need to write the test to be accredited, it's not mandatory.
Or, one day, just decide that you want to survey boats for a living and "You is a boat surveyor guy", crazy isn't it. There is no regulation.
The banks and insurance companies have swallowed this scam up, hook, line and sinker.
Unless your spending some big dollars and need insurance, some common sense with a little experience will do just as well as a surveyor who knows nothing.
Besides it's "your" money that's buying the boat not the surveyors money and as a result you will have more interest in things. Take lots of pictures and if possible visit the boat a couple of times prior to purchase as you always miss something the first time and take notes. Do the visits alone if you can as you will have less distractions.

paulk 02-19-2012 08:17 AM

I had 24 years of sailboat maintenance and sailing experience when we bought our boat. We had it surveyed, and I learned things about the boat I had not been aware of. For a $5000 boat, you should be able to negotiate a comparable survey cost. You may learn something, but even if you don't, it will provide assurance of what you do know from another point of view.

sailingfool 02-19-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildJasmine (Post 833475)
I have several years of experience repairing and maintaining boats and pretty much know what to look for. If I am only spending 5,000 is it crazy not to get a survey?

Yes.

Hanging around boats for a few years, even working professionally in yards for those years, you will not pick up a tenth of the knowledge a good surveyor brings to evaluating a boat.

So boat is only $5,000 to purchase, but it can quickly become more expensive as you stumble across the first few $3-5000 upgrades required for to be used safely...next thing you know you have a $18,000 boat and fully appreciate why folks recommend one always hire a surveyor.

HPLou 02-19-2012 09:04 AM

A survey from a reputable boat surveyor is never a wrong idea and is usually well worth the money. Also, most all marinas require insurance for all boats docked or stored on their premises. And, you need a marine survey to get boat insurance.

Squidd 02-19-2012 09:07 AM

You might need a survey to get comprehensive...but not for just liabilty..