Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012

jkisacky is on a distinguished road
Looking for sailboat

Hey, I'm 20 years old and I'm looking for a sailboat that I could go for a weekend on.

What kind of boat should I be looking for?

I'm new at this so any advice would be appreciated.

Also looking at a price of 2,400. What can I get with that?

Last edited by jkisacky; 03-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for sailboat

Hate to burst your bubble, but a boat built for the high seas will cost considerably more than $2400.
Give us more details. Where are you? Where do you want to travel to? Have you already looked at some boats and if so, what are your thoughts about them?
Is $2400 your purchasing budget. What about outfitting and operational costs? Have you factored those in?
Old 03-25-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Had a long chat with j in the chat room. The OPer is new to sailing and I think is now considering a daysailer and some sailing instructions. A case of not knowing enough to know what to ask mingled with dreams of distant lands.

**Was also warned to develop a thick skin due to the questions in the OP and to not take some of the responses personally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-25-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

C'mon chuck, give the guy some support.

jkisacki, I do agree that it would help to know what area and waters you are in. If you want a boat you'll have one! No one will prevent you from having a boat but yourself. Now, $2400 budget? YES! $2400 boats can be found all day! You'll have to work to find one thats not total junk, then chances are you'll have to work on what you found. This boat probably will be smaller than what you envision and won't be the bell of the ball but you'll find one that will dance (She may have a slight limp at first). Now what do you want to weekend on? My Wife and I bought a 1993 Macgregor 26S (Swing keel) it's a little tight but it does the job, we are however planning on moving up soon but will miss alot of things about a smaller boat (Except scooting around like an astronaught). This boat was a little out of your price range at around $7,000 but it looked new and was hardly used (Even it spent a month of me working on it to satify me...But could have sailed right away). Before we bought this one we looked at many that were older and needed varying degrees of work, many right in your price range! If you have a place to store it in the Winter I'd surely recomend a trailerable boat, you're 20, things pop up at that age, you might have to attend to something else for a while and it is much easier to keep a boat on a trailer for extended periods of non use and also, if your working on it you can have it right by the house. I'd seriously check out the trailerable sailboat forums if I were you. Also you'll hear a lot of bad about Magregors, it's total BS. Most of these people have never been on one but can tell you volumes of whats wrong with them, it's like a power boater telling you how bad sailboats are, they never been on one but they don't like them anyway. Well we have had one since 2009 and it has served us very well. we have sailed out a few times into the Chesapeake when the waves are just starting to white cap while boats much bigger than us are heading in close to shore. So check out those older trailer sailors! Look at it this way, while you work on it and sail it you'll be exposed to more sailboats and get a better idea of what you want, but instead of finding that out while being boatless you'll be sailing! Another thing you'll want to make those little mistakes that yoou WILL make in an older cheaper boat that already has a scratch or 2, then you'll be a much better sailor when you move up!

Again it might be beer cans and sleeping bags stuffed in a litthe cabin to start with but you may very well end up with state rooms and champagne. Now...GET TO IT!!!!
skygazer likes this.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 03-25-2012

Hey thanks for the insight, Would love have the boat by the house to work on, but I live in a place where you can't have boats in the yard unless its really small and behind fence.
Old 03-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post

just so you know, the original poster edited his post after I responded.
His post originally said he was looking for a $2400 boat to sail the high seas.

he has since changed his mind after chatting with Donna and now realizes his budget will only buy him a small day sailer or something for an occasional overnighter - not sailing the high seas.

I''m on his side and agree he can find a very decent boat for his needs. Just last summer, I saw a very decent day sailer auctioned off for $300. If I was still a power boater, I would have bought it myself.

Last edited by chuck53; 03-25-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
I think Chuck was being realistic about going offshore in a $2400 boat. I didn't read anything other than that in his message.

Agree about MacGregors, along with the older Ventures. My first boat was a Venture. It did the job of helping me to learn about boats and sailing and got me onto the water.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-25-2012

Realized the high seas was a dumb question so tried to save my dignity haha.
Old 03-26-2012

J, it would help us help you if we had more info. Where are you located and where do you want to sail? Are you looking for an overnighter and occasional weekender?
Are you going to sail by yourself or with a couple of friends?
What amenities do you need on the boat or are you looking for bare bones basic?
I understand Donna suggested you take some boating classes. Excellent idea.
Do you have any friends or aquaintences who are seasoned boaters who can show you the ropes of boating?
Old 03-26-2012

kenneth549 is on a distinguished road

Hello; where in the world are you planning to sail. You should be able to get a boat for $500 in this economy. No bs. Just hit your local marina and ask them when their next auction is. Don't be afraid to spend next to nothing..and don't think for a minute if your cabin sole is rotted it's a big deal...it will still outlast you...a lot of people spend more time in port scraping their wood out of the bottom of the boat than sailing...get a boat and sail her...they used to overbuild fiberglass boat's so much that even it she does have rot in her cabin sole...big deal...that being said...get a 24'...you'll be just fine..in fact for a newbie get a 22'..nothing smaller for sure...then again...heck go for whatever you think you want...just don't be turned off by a dirty. Moldy, ugly boat...that's the best way to buy em...little elbow grease....and go sailing...heck..i used to work in the bering sea..i ran a 129' crab boat...now i sail a 25 footer...my last boat was a 34...in fact ive literaly owned a thousand boats...but if you want a weekender, whatever you do, dont go below 22...take care.