SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   Morgan OutIsland 41 for Bluewater? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/86202-morgan-outisland-41-bluewater.html)

montenido 04-14-2012 02:46 PM

Morgan OutIsland 41 for Bluewater?

Hi all,

I looked at an older IO today. What do you guys think about this for cruising Mexico and the south pacific? Very roomy, shallow draft, and fairly bulletproof. It would be a much lower entry price then most of my other choices.

Opinions on build quality, sailing manners, known problems , etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Bill

SloopJonB 04-14-2012 03:12 PM

Re: Morgan OutIsland 41 for Bluewater?

Quote:

Originally Posted by montenido (Post 858607)
Hi all,

I looked at an older IO today. What do you guys think about this for cruising Mexico and the south pacific? Very roomy, shallow draft, and fairly bulletproof. It would be a much lower entry price then most of my other choices.

Opinions on build quality, sailing manners, known problems , etc. will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Bill

Can there be a boat that has been more discussed about this very thing?

You will hear that they are cheaply built tubs that are now exhausted, that they are built like tanks, that they are one of the greatest liveaboard boats ever built, that they sail as well as a haystack, that they will surprise you with their sailing abilities, that they are fine, but not ideal for offshore if suitably equipped, that you are taking your life in your hands by leaving the dock in one and so on.

The fact is they are one of, if not THE most produced big boats ever, they were designed (by a great designer) and built for the Caribbean charter trade. People who own them seem to love them (although that is true of almost ALL boats.;)).

MY opinion? I think a decent one would be a great choice for Mexico and into the Caribbean (its birthplace and natural home) but if I was headed across the Pacific I'd keep looking.

creedence623 04-15-2012 04:31 PM

I sailed one a few months ago, and although the owners spent $100,000 in upgrades above and beyond the purchase price, it seemed like a sturdy boat with a great payout for extended cruising.

With these older boats I think decades of unique maintenance programs make it almost impossible to make broad generalizations of a boat's seaworthiness. I've seen a Hans Christian 48 that I wouldn't take sailing in a bathtub let alone the open ocean, and I've seen older Hunters that have been very well maintained and concienciously upgraded that could easily cruise the Caribbean.

My thoughts on the OI 40 are that, if well maintained, it would be a great boat for what you're thinking.

CaptainForce 04-15-2012 06:07 PM

Although I am not a long distance offshore cruiser, I've been cruising my Morgan Out Islands on the US East Coast and Bahamas since 1973. They hold the same set of compromises as most vessels at a comparable price. Downwind performance will be greatly increased with twin headsails or a cruising chute. I like the exterior chainplates for care and inspection. Like any older boat it's history of care will be very important. I think the shoal draft will be more of a comfort issue than a safety issue offshore for this hull. Sure, I love my vessel; however, I recognize that it suits my wallet best among the possibilities.

tdw 04-15-2012 06:35 PM

Couple in our previous marina bought one in the states and sailed it back to Oz. Not my cup of tea design wise but they had no major dramas and did get a couple of whacks to the backside with the weather.

mitiempo 04-19-2012 01:58 PM

Here is a good article about the Morgan Out Island 41 by Charles Doane

MORGAN OUT ISLAND 41: The Original Charter Barge

CaptainForce 04-19-2012 05:55 PM

I read the article above by Charles Doane and I found it very accurate. I would only despute his comment that the Morgan Out Island's performance is less than mediocre. I've been sailing these boats for forty years and I've also owned a Sparkman & Stephens fin keel. I can say that the Morgan Out Island is exactly mediocre! Take care and joy, Aythya crew

LarryandSusanMacDonald 04-27-2012 01:10 PM

I have to agree with Captain Force - her sailing abilities are exactly mediocre. But then, she's not a racing boat. She's a big, fat, comfortable, live-aboard cruiser that weighs in at 27,000 lbs. Just about the time everybody else is taking a tuck in their sails, we're putting ours up. We've sailed her in 40k wind with every stitch up. (Really did, it kind of snuck up on us.) And she sails very close to 'on her lines' (albeit, not close to the wind) so you don't spill your rum.

If you want to race, she's not for you. If you're in a hurry, she's not for you. But if you're cruising, what's your hurry? You're out there to see the sights. Relax, put your feet up, let the autohelm do the work. We have always used the bra method of sailing; hoist 'em up and keep 'em from floppin'.

Ours is 35 years old and she's got another 35 years left if the next owner takes care of her like we have. (Check it out if you're in the market: The Frugal Mariner: Kanau for Sale)

jobberone 07-07-2012 10:50 PM

Nice boat. Where would you put a water maker on her, one of the newer lower power requirement ones?

sleeper41 10-11-2012 06:56 PM

Morgan OutIsland 41 for Bluewater?

A friend of mine, who is cruising around the world and is currently in Tonga getting ready for a passage to New Zealand said he saw 4 OI's recently cruising over there. I dare say the OI 41 has likely made more trips around than any other boat brand . . . ever.