Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road
Would You Buy A Boat With a Neglected Bottom?

Hi all,

I am looking at a boat in my area that I really like. I had a diver video the bottom of the boat and it looked a bit scary. The owner admits to not having hauled it for 8+ years. He does claim to have monthly dive service, but I don't know of any diver that would want to clean a boat with no paint on it.

Anyway, it is a CSY, which has very bullet proof hulls. It has some blisters that I can see, and the shaft zinc looks pretty tired. I really like the boat and feel that I can use this information to get a lower price before the haul-out. Once we all get a better look at the bottom condition in the light of day, adjust the price accordingly.

What do you think? I figure a total bottom job with blister repair, epoxy barrier coat and paint should be maybe $5k. I'll call the yard tomorrow to get a rough estimate. Inside, the boat is bone dry. Might need to replace some through hulls also, but couldn't tell from the video.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Would You Buy A Boat With a Neglected Bottom?

Mont ...

Do you intend having her surveyed ?

How bad are the blisters ?

If the zinc is tired, how tired ? Hopefully its not eight years old.

You have to ask yourself why would anyone have a monthly dive service instead of a yearly antifoul ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi all,

I am looking at a boat in my area that I really like. I had a diver video the bottom of the boat and it looked a bit scary. The owner admits to not having hauled it for 8+ years. He does claim to have monthly dive service, but I don't know of any diver that would want to clean a boat with no paint on it.

Anyway, it is a CSY, which has very bullet proof hulls. It has some blisters that I can see, and the shaft zinc looks pretty tired. I really like the boat and feel that I can use this information to get a lower price before the haul-out. Once we all get a better look at the bottom condition in the light of day, adjust the price accordingly.

What do you think? I figure a total bottom job with blister repair, epoxy barrier coat and paint should be maybe $5k. I'll call the yard tomorrow to get a rough estimate. Inside, the boat is bone dry. Might need to replace some through hulls also, but couldn't tell from the video.

Thoughts? Thanks, Bill
Not a problem, just a negotiation point. Those CSY's have the reputation of being almost literally bulletproof so deterioration isn't likely to be a factor.

When it's hauled you need to be sure to get a VERY thorough pressure wash - it should take an hour at least on a boat in the condition you describe. Once it's dried off, hit it with orbitals with 40 grit discs until it looks decent enough to take care of any filling - then work you way through 60 & 80 grit and put on your finish coats.

It's lots of work but doesn't take any special skills. I think your $5K for a yard to do it is probably optimistic - it'll cost in the vicinity of $500 just to purchase the Interprotect, the same for decent bottom paint. There are a LOT of hours in prepping it properly - what do the yards in your area charge per hour?

Boat bottoms are THE most DIY aspect of owning a boat IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-19-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...What do you think? I figure a total bottom job with blister repair, epoxy barrier coat and paint should be maybe $5k. ...l
Yards charge this work by the foot, you haven't said the size of the boat, so don't expect a more useful answer than $100-150/foot.

All glass bottoms are pretty much whatever the builder makes them, owner negligence cant do much permanment harm. The last place to worry about.
Old 04-19-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the answers. It is a CSY 44, and yes, I will have it surveyed. I will also get the engine surveyed as well as the rigging.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 04-22-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
You have to ask yourself why would anyone have a monthly dive service instead of a yearly antifoul ?
Mate, in California, every boat needs anti fouling paint and even with anti fouling paint, every boat need regular hull cleaning. 12-15 times a year at a minimum in SoCal.
Old 04-22-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As your diver should have told you, you will learn nothing from an underwater inspection of an uncleaned hull other than the fact that it is not clean. And finding a diver to clean it (regardless of condition) shouldn't be much of a problem. Expect to pay extra if the bottom is badly fouled, but there are plenty of divers in your area who would love the work, I guarantee it.