SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   Ship or Sail the New Boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/87063-ship-sail-new-boat.html)

SeaQwest 05-06-2012 03:19 AM

Ship or Sail the New Boat

I am seriously looking at a couple of boats for sale in the Jacksonville, FL area. They are coastal cruisers in the 35 foot range. I recently moved from up north to the southwest coast of Florida near Ft. Myers. As yet, I am not familiar with the sailing grounds of either coast. If I pull the trigger on one of these, I will need to make a decision whether to sail the new boat around or have her shipped across the State. I would welcome any thoughts this forum might have to help me with this decision.

Thanks.

Jim
SeaQwest

xymotic 05-06-2012 06:08 AM

Re: Ship or Sail the New Boat

I'm not positive, cuz I've never been to Florida, but I'm pretty sure there's a canal across FL, so my vote would be to just motor it across.

svHyLyte 05-06-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaQwest (Post 867781)
I am seriously looking at a couple of boats for sale in the Jacksonville, FL area. They are coastal cruisers in the 35 foot range. I recently moved from up north to the southwest coast of Florida near Ft. Myers. As yet, I am not familiar with the sailing grounds of either coast. If I pull the trigger on one of these, I will need to make a decision whether to sail the new boat around or have her shipped across the State. I would welcome any thoughts this forum might have to help me with this decision.

Thanks.

Jim
SeaQwest

Jim--

If you have the time, the trip from Jacksonville to Ft. Myers is not difficult and could be quite enjoyable. If the mast height is less than 49 feet overall, you might be able to take the St. Lucie Canal, across Lake Okeechobee, and down the Caloosahatchee River. I made a trip from Ft. Lauderdale through the canal and Ft. Myers in our former boat and it wasn't bad (tho' the canal/river can get a bit boring). Alternately, one can run down to the Keys, cut through the Channel Five bridge and across Florida Bay and back up around Cape Romano. Also not a bad trip but longer. The only question for you will be (other than time), whether the yacht's engine, sails and ground tackle are good to go. If so, with some charts, binoculars, a hand bearing compass and a hand-help GPS you should have little difficulty and an enjoyable exploration.

FWIW...

Lake Superior Sailor 05-06-2012 09:26 AM

If it can be sailed I would sail her as that is why you got Her!..Dale

BostonSailor 05-06-2012 09:32 AM

A good friend of mine is a sailmaker in Ft Lauderdale and may be able to help you deliver her if you're looking for some assistance with the trip. PM me if you'd like an intro.

TQA 05-06-2012 11:02 AM

SAIL HER!

Nice trip for a maiden.

SeaQwest 05-06-2012 05:25 PM

Thanks for the valuable input. We are newbies to sailing, so are somewhat timid about undertaking what I am guessing would be a 4 or 5 day sojourn in, for us, unchartered waters. But, as some have mentioned, this is the reason for which the boat was made. Plus, it would provide us an immediate learning experience. If she were a power boat, we wouldn't hesitate to make the trip.

Of course there is something to be said about having it in our "backyard" in 4 or 5 hours. Does anyone have a feel for which way would be less expensive?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Jim
SeaQwest

CaptainForce 05-06-2012 06:22 PM

Is time money? We leisurely cruise from Jacksonville to Fort Myers in about two weeks, but we are "cockpit potatos", leisurely coastal cruising with many stops. There's some other important information,- What's the draft? What's the vertical clearance? What's the boat? Is the rigging sound? Is the engine sound? All these are critical questions. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

bljones 05-06-2012 06:23 PM

It's gonna be cheaper, cash out of pocket, to sail her, but when you account for any hidden costs (lost time from work, provisioning, unforseen circumstances) it may be more expensive... but it may also save you money by allowing for a relatively sedate shakedown cruise- if your diesel packs it in because of a bad filter or an old halyard breaks, better for it to happen inshore than offshore, and you'll get the bugs ironed out before hitting the gulf.

svHyLyte 05-07-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaQwest (Post 867951)
Thanks for the valuable input. We are newbies to sailing, so are somewhat timid about undertaking what I am guessing would be a 4 or 5 day sojourn in, for us, unchartered waters. But, as some have mentioned, this is the reason for which the boat was made. Plus, it would provide us an immediate learning experience. If she were a power boat, we wouldn't hesitate to make the trip.

Of course there is something to be said about having it in our "backyard" in 4 or 5 hours. Does anyone have a feel for which way would be less expensive?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Jim
SeaQwest

For the sake of the exercise, I have run out the distance from Batten Island in Jax to Redfish Cove in Cape Coral, assuming you are able to take the St. Lucie, Lake, Caloosahatchie River Route. That's about 350 nautical miles. Assuming you were powering and taking an inside route, you'd be able to manage roughly 50 miles a day safely, hence you'd need 7 days of running time. Taking into account weather etc. I'm guessing it would actually take you 9 days. Assuming you average 4-5 knots, you'd need roughly 80 hours of running time and assuming a fuel burn on that size boat of roughly .6 GPH about 48 gallons of fuel at roughly $4.00 per gallon, so about $192 for fuel. Assuming a 35' yacht spending 5 out of 9 nights in a transient marina at $3.00/ft (guestimate), you'd be looking at roughly $525 for mooring. Assuming a crew of 2, I'm guessing roughly $50 per day for food and beverage but of course they'd be eating whether they were aboard or not so provisions costs might be irrelevant. If not, however, you'd be looking at another $450 in provisions. So, with the foregoing you're looking at roughly $1,167 for the trip. Add in incidentals and you're probably closer to $1,500.

If your mast is taller than 49', the foregoing route wouldn't work so you'd increase the distance by roughly 40% but you'd be able to sail much more so your fuel costs wouldn't increase by much and you'd get much more experience.

In either case, you can effect some savings on the foregoing by joining BoatUS (which you would be wise to do in any case) and using the marina facilities that cooperate with them and, of course, by by-passing marina's entirely save for fuel.

By comparison, I suspect hauling the yacht will cost you something in the range of $3,000 for the haul-out, pulling the mast and prepping the yacht for transit, the actual shipping, relaunching the yacht and re-stepping the mast. That would likely take just as long time wise--maybe longer--and you'd learn nothing and have no adventure to remember.

It is not a difficult trip and I suspect you can find one or two guy's with a bit of experience that would help for various legs. (Of course, you could shorten the trip by taking the off-shore route, at least to Cape Canaveral which has an easy inlet, if not to St. Lucie.)

FWIW...