Alberg 30 for sale - extensive refit over 2011/2012, very nice boat - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road
Re: Alberg 30 for sale - extensive refit over 2011/2012, very nice boat

It's starting to sound a lot like a classic case of "Buyer's Remorse", which is just as common
at the end of a refit as it right after a purchase. You've mentally added all the investment
of cash you have in her and the right-side of your brain is telling you that it just doesn't
make sense to leave that kind of cash just sitting there. Prior to refit, your investment
was no where near where you are now, so thus none of the "right-brain-pressure".
I do believe I've been there before and still regret the selling of my Harley, etc. etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a wise choice to me sir...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-19-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

So is she sold then? That was fast...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-28-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

So what happened to our favorite couple. The last I heard they had finished the boat then suffered some postpartum depression and adjustment issues getting started cruising.
It seems like selling was a really drastic step.
I tried their blog and it seems to be gone.
Frankly anyone significantly changing their life faces real risks about how they will feel about the new life. Lots of retired people go back to work because they miss it.
I applaud them for taking a chance and am interested in what caused them to not like the dream they attempted to build.
Old 07-15-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Chris and Kate, has the boat sold yet? I'm trying to get a friend in Canada to buy it. It's what everyone dreams of- a boat lovingly and completely restored by the owner who changes his mind! You mentioned you'd install a diesel if the new owner buys the engine. Is the deal still on? How much extra in labour? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Chris and Kate, has the boat sold yet? I'm trying to get a friend in Canada to buy it. It's what everyone dreams of- a boat lovingly and completely restored by the owner who changes his mind! You mentioned you'd install a diesel if the new owner buys the engine. Is the deal still on? How much extra in labour? Thanks.
It also has no electrical system, no flush toilet, no furlers, and was it an alcohol stove? I don't exactly recall.

It was built to be difficult in every way and seemingly proved to be too difficult. I don't intend to debate the merits of the project, just making sure you and your friend fully realize what you are looking at.

Food for thought...... putting a diesel back in (mounting, alignment, running an ignition, rebuilding a good post and cutlass, etc), is substantially more complicated than removing one and fairing over the holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-15-2012

Point taken Minne, but it has a composting toilet! A furler for the headsail, although unnecessary on a 30ft boat IMO, isn't too much. Chris mentions a breaker panel installed that just has to be wired. Still, if you spend another 5K putting in an engine, you've got a fine small cruiser for about 20K. I think the value of the boat lies in the labour-intensive stuff like new chainplates, rebedding everything properly, painting etc. Besides, this friend wants a tough, low maintenance boat. The only thing I didn't get was the placing the galley sink behind the companionway ladder (or so it seems in the photos), but I'm sure they thought of a place to stand to wash dishes.
Old 07-15-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Mounting an engine, as Minnewaska has indicated, is a major undertaking. A diesel like a Yanmar 2 or 3GM series has completely different mount footprint than the Atomic which was probably in there to begin with. Even if the old engine beds are still there, major surgery is necessary.
Old 07-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Copa,

5k for an engine sounds a bit light, not to mention the electrical wiring, etc. No composting head debate for me (this time), but unless you know you like 'em, you might be retrofitting. Are you saying you think you can get this so that the total investment is $20k? I assume the OP would be taking a huge hit to sell her for that. Couldn't find the listing anywhere to see asking price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-15-2012

Asking price is 15K. Seems reasonable on a boat with that much work in it, brand new sails, windvane, windlass, rigging etc. I think a new 18HP Yanmar must be under 5K in the US. Chris had mentioned he'd install a diesel if the new owner provided one. If the offer still stands, I don't think anyone would question his ability to do the installation. Anyhow, the boat is for someone single who wants a simple cruising boat. I have a boat and I'm not looking for one ... and I also don't want to debate composting toilets here