SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   UK greencard holder living in US, buying a US boat to keep in US HELP! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/92086-uk-greencard-holder-living-us-buying-us-boat-keep-us-help.html)

Cabinpanda 09-13-2012 09:19 PM

UK greencard holder living in US, buying a US boat to keep in US HELP!

I am a UK citizen with a greencard living and working in California (for ten years now). I am buying a 48 foot sailboat here that I plan to keep between California and Oregon while she's being re-fit, and ultimately cruise to Mexico and beyond.

I've just found out that I cannot legally own a US documented boat - so I'm told that, in order to travel to foreign ports, I will have to register the boat in the UK - even thought I don't live there (which in theory is a requirement to register a boat in the UK). I do have an address I can use there though.

I've tried to research what's involved in registering a boat in the UK from here but I'm worried that it will create problems for me down the road. (One person told me I will need to take the boat out of the country for 20 days a year). Also there are two registries in the UK, Part I and Part III (the small ships registry). Part III is clearly the easiest option from the US (Part I seems like it wouldn't be possible without having the boat in the UK) but I don't know if that paperwork will really be sufficient foreign customs..

Anyone else out there had to figure this problem out? It feels like I'm going round in circles ... Any advice gratefully received!

night0wl 09-13-2012 10:37 PM

Re: UK greencard holder living in US, buying a US boat to keep in US HELP!

After 10 years of green card, file for citizenship already will ya? You've been paying taxes, social security, and medicare all this time...least you could is have it work for you when you retire!

MarkSF 09-13-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabinpanda (Post 922006)
I am a UK citizen with a greencard living and working in California (for ten years now). I am buying a 48 foot sailboat here that I plan to keep between California and Oregon while she's being re-fit, and ultimately cruise to Mexico and beyond.

I've just found out that I cannot legally own a US documented boat - so I'm told that, in order to travel to foreign ports, I will have to register the boat in the UK - even thought I don't live there (which in theory is a requirement to register a boat in the UK). I do have an address I can use there though.

I've tried to research what's involved in registering a boat in the UK from here but I'm worried that it will create problems for me down the road. (One person told me I will need to take the boat out of the country for 20 days a year). Also there are two registries in the UK, Part I and Part III (the small ships registry). Part III is clearly the easiest option from the US (Part I seems like it wouldn't be possible without having the boat in the UK) but I don't know if that paperwork will really be sufficient foreign customs..

Anyone else out there had to figure this problem out? It feels like I'm going round in circles ... Any advice gratefully received!

I faced the same issue and went for California state registration. I have heard it's not as good for foreign cruising, but I hope to be a US citizen by the time I get around to that.

night0wl 09-14-2012 12:36 AM

You could create a LLC and buy the boat into the company then...weird way to get around that little conundrum.

Capt. Gary Randall 09-14-2012 02:37 AM

I agree register your vessel in California and document it later...........captg

Zanshin 09-14-2012 04:34 AM

I have a Part I registry and the boat hasn't been within several thousand miles of the U.K. You can have the tonnage survey done by an accredited surveyor in the USA (the YBDSA will give you a list of accredited surveyors in your area). As long as you have a mailing address in the U.K. for the paperwork you are O.K.

If you want to put a lien on the boat then Part I is your only choice. Deflagging a U.S. boat and re-flagging to the red ensign is something that brokers do often and that isn't an issue.

Minnewaska 09-14-2012 05:15 AM

I'm not familiar with import and/or VAT tax rules of the UK, but I would want to be clear on them before I registered a boat there, now or in the future.

Zanshin 09-14-2012 11:51 AM

The rules are pretty simple - no VAT is due if the vessel is purchased and kept outside of the EU. Once you return, VAT needs to be paid (at the first port/country of entry). If you are a returning citizen of the U.K. after living abroad then (if a couple of other conditions are met) no VAT is due on the vessel or your other belongings upon repatriation.

My boat is registered as Part I in the U.K., but hasn't been there. No VAT has been paid or is due (yet, until I hit the EU in a couple of years).

TQA 09-14-2012 01:31 PM

But that does not get around his problem of having to get out of the USA for 15 ? days every year if he registers it in the UK.

I think this is true for ANY non US registration.

Minnewaska 09-14-2012 02:15 PM

And I assume you must be able to prove the boat is not in the UK.