Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012

proappspro is on a distinguished road
J24 s2 or what

Hi my wife and I lost our boat in Ike and have been saving for our dream boat. We are about 3 years way but decided to purchase a reasonably priced small boat. I really want a j/24 but my wife is not sure as they may not be the most comfortable. We probably will not race too much as Wednesday's are the big race night here and that is tough for me to make. I am looking for performance that I can trailer. I do not see a lots of boats that fit my bill in this area , Clearlake. My experiance is about 3 years inland and 7 years on the bay - only a few races. I would like to race but as I mentioned Wednesday is tough.

I think the jboat would improve my handling skills greatly and be a lot of fun but seek the counsel of the more experienced.

Thanks
Jw

Any boat ideas, suggestions or things to think about would be great.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: J24 s2 or what

We have a very active (and growing) Merit 25 fleet in our area.
They look like a good dual-purpose alternative to the J24. Much more useable interior.
Not very expensive on the used market, either.
Old 09-14-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: J24 s2 or what

I have limited experience on the J 24 but I will say that it handles like a dinghy and does not need much wind to make it move through the water nicely. They can be a little 'tender' perhaps, as evidence by some folks successfully sinking them: The Sinking of 12
The same club in NYC sank another J24 a few years ago.
The common theme to the sinkings seems to be leaving the hatch boards out once the boat gets knocked down, allowing the cabin to fill with water. Also the cockpit seat storage areas need to be latched closed.
Fast boat to sail though. Not a lot of space down below if you were thinking of spending the night.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

My IMHP comes from actually owning hulls 2733 and 2930 going back to 1981

Its takes and extreme effort in really bad conditions when you should NOT be using a spinnaker to sink one and we gave it the full effort

ONLY two people get a comfortable ride as you really SIT on TOP of the boat and everybody else has to slide around under or around stuff every-time you tack

I can assure you this will pretty much make casual sailors and guests you want to take out HATE sailing and while you can sit comfortably inside and camp nicely its full kneeling headroom and it wears thin

The boat does sail well and the above issues really depend on your age

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-15-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

The J24 is a fine one-design, if you race one-design, but IMHO is not too good for much else. It certainly is a limited daysailer - the issue is that the boat is very uncomfortable for anyone except the helmsperson. There's very little flat deck and not much cockpit and even less cabin. And forget about launching from a trailer, a J24 requires a crane to get off a trailer.

What you should look at are the S2s, for example the sweet 22 footer.
S2 6.9 Sailboat "JollyMon"

They are very well made, pe4form well, and the models with the with lifting dagger boards can be trailer-launched. They have very people friendly cockpits and cabins. They are very competitive in PHRF and MORC fleets.

If you want to race in a J24 one-design fleet, definitely get a J24...for anything else, get something else.
Old 09-16-2012

proappspro is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input thus far. I mentioned s2 and j24 because they are both considered performance but on different sides of the continuum. i will be happy with anything in between. I really dont want to be off the waterl for two more years and am willing to throw away a few dollars while saving/looking/waiting for our cruising boat.

The idea of another small boat came to us sitting under the kemah bridge having lunch when my wife said we should clean up the old Force 5. I said Im too old for that crap as its too small and i hurt just thinking about it. She said "do they make a bigger Force 5" ...and here we are. I think it would be great to get the handling skills back up.

other boats on the long list are Olson 25, Moore24, SJ24, Kirby25,Martin 242,Precision 23, and Beneteau 235 and others mentioned in the above post.

I have a few others but want to narrow it down based on local availability. access to parts etc, so the list will shrink fast.

any other suggestions and input would be great.

JW