Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jameswilson29
  • 2 Post By saildork
  • 1 Post By CalebD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Can anyone help me find my first real sailboat?

Recognizing a lot of expertise on this forum and th4e potential to involve more than just my tired eyes on CL, YW, and BT, I thought I would ask for help in locating a boat.

I have a budget of $5-8k for the boat and then probably enough to handle some transport/delivery to my home port of Charleston, SC. I would like something in the 27-30 range with functional/healthy inboard diesel (Charleston currents can be wicked) wheel-steering, sleeping for 5, and working head/shower. I would prefer something on the more stable side as this will be our learning boat. I am from a boating family with a marina-owning brother (on the Great Lakes) so I grew up around them but haven't owned anything bigger than a 20' catamaran-type sailboat ( a Wharram) so the sailing experience on my part is thin. My plan is harbor and coastal cruising with the ability to motor longer distances on the ICW. I am willing to bring the right boat in from a distance. Probably out to about Annapolis..

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can anyone help me find my first real sailboat?

Tall order for that budget... ESP if a working/usable shower is a "must have". Wheel steering is going to be an issue too. You'll end up looking at seriously old "fixer-uppers" that may end up costing way more than you might imagine by the time she's right. I think you need to adjust a few of your parameters.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-06-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I think you can find what you are looking for in this very strong buyer's market if you take your time and learn how to inspect the boats yourself, followed by a survey after you have a contract. I found a boat meeting your description (Pearson 28-1 updated with diesel and wheel) after 6 months of looking (except it has a shower in the cockpit which I never use instead of in head). I then put an amount equal to the purchase price in fixing her up for my purposes, using my own labor, buying new materials when necessary (prop. shaft, coupling, PSS shaft seal) and used materials off eBay and Craigslist.

Look for a classic plastic racer/cruisers from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Pearsons are my favorite, but you could also find any one from a host of other good builders. These boats will be completely depreciated so you are essentially buying a set of components/systems in a sound hull. You may have to expand your search area to include Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina for a greater sailboat market. Buy and read "This Old Boat" and "Sailboat Maintenance Manual" by Don Casey, and "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigel Calder, to understand the kinds of projects you will be completing.

BTW, Charleston is a beautiful city and a great sailing venue. Just got back from a winter break there with my wife and son. I lived in Mount Pleasant for 4 years in the early 2000s.
bwalker42 and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2013

saildork is on a distinguished road

Don't discount the tiller-steered boats. You'll get better feedback from the helm as you sail, and when at the dock or at anchor, the tiller on most boats can be pushed up and out of the way. This gives you more cockpit room for lounging and for sleeping some of your guests during good weather. Good luck. Prepare to put lots of miles on your car in the search.
Old 01-06-2013

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

Hello there, I have a friend who has a 1979 Irwin citation 34, he is asking $9000 but I believe that is negotiable. It has all new standing rigging including sails, Main, Genoa, Spinnaker. It has a new Yanmar three cylinder diesel.the machinery on the vessel has been refit including the standing rigging.As in all Boats, this boat still needs work as the interior including wiring for the house has been removed. This was done for a refit.All components have been saved. I have sailed this vessel and it runs quite well.it is located in Panama City Florida.....CaptG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Capt. Gary Randall; 01-06-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

If this Tartan 30' is still available it fits almost every part of your wish list: 1975 Tartan 30C sailboat for sale in North Carolina
You can always add a shower if it doesn't have one.
Asking price $10,500 - offer 20 to 30% off asking price and negotiate from there.

There are a few other T30's listed in the Carolinas. Some will have the gas powered Atomic 4 which should just make the boats slightly cheaper.
The T30 is a great, substantial boat. It's just not as 'pretty' as the T27. Engine access on the T30 is wonderful and the cabin is good sized.
chef2sail likes this.

Everybody has one: