SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/)
-   -   Need Flying Scot rudder (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-buyers-sellers-forum/96113-need-flying-scot-rudder.html)

handsomebob 01-26-2013 04:39 PM

Need Flying Scot rudder

Hello,
I have found a used Flying Scot I want to buy. It has a tiller but no rudder. Can any FS Skippers out there give me an idea of the cost for one and can they be found used? I googled it but nothing came up. Thanks in advance.

deniseO30 01-26-2013 05:34 PM

Re: Need Flying Scot rudder

You could give us a bit more information about the boat. I found a link to an association
Flying Scot Sailing Association

rudders
Dotan revolutionary dinghy and catamaran kick-up rudder system.

CalebD 01-26-2013 05:58 PM

The FSSA has a WTB/FS forum as well: Forums | Flying Scot Sailing Association

HUGOSALT 01-26-2013 06:28 PM

Flying Scot Racing Making you Sailing Experience More Enjoyable
in center of their home page is "parts and accessories"
has long list of parts should include rudders

if not try...Foss Foam Products in Fl (newrudders.com) online
They have built rudders for many of the manufacturers over the years as well as replacement rudders.

Letrappes 01-27-2013 10:50 AM

Just go to flying Scot.com. That's the factory website. Unlike most of the boats on here, flying Scots are still being made with about one a week coming out last time I talked to them. I own two currently and have had a bunch more and through them have had to buy nearly every part.

If you are going to buy one, be sure to get the rudder lift as it really helps you when launching and pulling the boat out. A tiller tender is nice as well.

handsomebob 01-28-2013 11:08 AM

thanks for all the advice. I call FS and a new rudder complete with pins no tiller is around $590. The owner want $1k for the boat. It is in good shape with a set of sails. Just sitting for a couple of years and classified as abandoned for a year now by my club and rudder was borrowed since that time. Maybe someone will return it if I send a msg out but I doubt it. The trailer looks to be in good shape. Not sure of the year yet but probably early 80's. Dee at FS is going to look for a used one for me. May try to talk the seller down a couple of hundred. Don't want to risk turning him off. It took a year to finally get a hold of him.

Barquito 01-30-2013 03:53 PM

I thought I saw one on craigslist recently. Google 'national craigslist search' and use one of those search engines to look.

jameswilson29 01-30-2013 03:58 PM

I visited the factory near Deep Creek Lake, Maryland and Wisp Ski Resort. It is a nice destination if you get the chance...

paulk 02-23-2013 09:42 PM

The easiest & cheapest thing to do would be to borrow someone's rudder and trace it onto a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood. Cut it out and rasp/plane it to shape, then epoxy & paint it. Yours might be faster than anyone else's, and you could start selling them.