Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013

SuzySailor is on a distinguished road
Kelly-Peterson 44 for Sale

Our beautiful, clean, dry (no leaks) KP-44 is for sale. After years of upgrading her, we've had her in the water since April, and still have not sailed her. (She sails just fine.) But one of us gets vertigo, and the other one freaks out when the boat heels more than ten degrees. We're going to fix up an old trawler and have old-people type adventures! This boat is for someone who wants to really sail. She's a lovely, safe boat, ready to go.

More info. than you'd ever want is available at
Peterson44forsale.weebly.com

She is located at the NC Coast, almost at SC.

Price is $99,000.

Sorry-- I'm unable to load a photo. There are plenty, though, at the website!

Last edited by SuzySailor; 10-05-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Price decrease
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Kelly-Peterson 44 for Sale

Your post overwhelms me with a sense of heart-wrenching sadness in much the same way that I always am touched with a similar sense of poignant pathos when I read the introduction to Rockwell Kent’s “North by East”. (If you are not familiar with this short parable, it is a good read which is available online starting on page III of the Google preview available if you do a search on Rockwell Kent “North by East”)

I, in no way, mean my comments to be judgmental or critical of your choices believing that we all know ourselves better than some stranger on the internet, and that there is no universally right or wrong way to enjoy the water (short of putting your life and other’s lives at risk through intentional action, or purposeful negligence).

But I am stuck with a range of thoughts here that I am writing with the hope that if they do not prove useful to you, they may at least be helpful to others.

I will start with the Boat for sale. If someone came to me and said, I plan to go distance cruising and I want an absolutely perfect boat for that, and I have between $90,000 and $110,000 to spend, my first choice would be the Kelly Peterson 44 with Kiwigrip finished glass decks (rather than teak decks) and with aluminum spars. In other words the boat that you are selling. (I know that the aficionatos of the type prefer the KP-66 but these tend to be much more expensive for only reportedly subtle differences)

While these are beefy boats to sail, requiring a fair amount of strength to sail in a breeze, any monohull sailing around the world will require a reasonably fit crew and so that should not be a problem. There was a time when you could find all kinds of articles and blogs written by crewmembers who had nothing but good words to say about how well this venerable design handled as they used her for distance cruising and circumnavigations. Assuming that the boat goes cleanly through survey, this would be a spectacular boat for someone contemplating doing some serious cruising.

But back to my first paragraph, the great boat in question only add to my sense of sadness about your post, especially given my sense of all of the hard work, and money that must have gone into restoring this boat to her apparently near pristine appearance, only to find that you cannot use her as planned. For some people the voyage of self-discovery is in large part about the joy of working on a boat, but for most of us, our work on a boat is a means to the end of being able to go sailing, so it seems depressing to imagine all of the hard work coming to an end at a point that that is so close to achieving that desireable end.

And while I am sure that there may be more to this than your simple description of why your voyage plans ended, and you may, in fact, have had sailing experience before you bought this boat, when I read “But one of us gets vertigo, and the other one freaks out when the boat heels more than ten degrees” I think that this seems so entirely unnecessary in so many ways. It seems tragic to me that you have gone this far in the process before discovering these self- truths.

When new sailors ask about buying a big boat and going voyaging, I always suggest that people spend a lot of time sailing smaller boats before trying to buy their ‘final voyaging vessel’. A part of that advise is aimed at giving people a chance for the kind of self-discovery that might let them know that, “one of us gets vertigo, and the other one freaks out when the boat heels more than ten degrees.” hopefully long before you give up years of your precious lifespan restoring a boat you will not use.

And adding to my sense of the tragic is a sense that even now this avoidable. For the partner with vertigo, there are spectacular medications out there which are super effective against seasickness. My wife has a terrible time with motion sickness, but she takes Stugeron (Cinnarizine) which has proven to be an extremely effective anti-nausea drug. While not available for this use in the US, this is a widely used drug world wide, easily obtained over the internet. In addition to my wife, I have talked to a lot of folks who have used it, and I have heard and read nearly no comments about side effects other than some folks reporting an increased thirst. I would respectfully suggest the partner with 'vertigo' at least experiment with stugeron before throwing in the towel.

That partner will need to do that experiment anyway, since trawlers have a much worse motion than a boat like the Peterson 44. I generally do not get seasick on sailboats but had a miserable time in my late-mother's trawler.

As to the partner who is afraid to heel, I would suggest that they start with a sailing course that talks a little about the physics of sailing so that they understand that the Kelly- Peterson 44 has 8 or so volkswagons hanging 4-5 feet below the boat and get a good understanding of how extremely unlikely a boat like this is to capsize or get rolled. A boat like this can heel way past the horizontal and still come up. And then I suggest that the spend a bunch of time sailing small boats so that they can get a feel for the fact that a boat can heel at pretty large angles and still be perfectly safe.

At the heart of it, you have clearly invested years of your lives perfecting the boat you thought was the right one in an effort to make it capable of going cruising. My advice to you, (or to anyone who is considering distance voyaging), is to now make time to invest in making yourselves capable of going cruising. For most of us, the time spent building up our own capabilities is the most worthwhile, and is far more fun than the fixing up the boat part.

Whatever you chose to do, I only wish you well.

Respectfully,
Jeff
chall03, tdw, davidpm and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-10-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Typos mostly, clarity in places
Old 02-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

At first I thought.. whatever, another boat for sale....

Then after reading Jeff's post I went and checked out all the pics.. wow - someone is going to end up with a very nice boat after all that work.

Very nicely done... whoever buys her, it looks like they could leave the next day or two after provisioning. Best of luck on whatever the future brings you both..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-10-2013

Since it seems I don't have to defend the boat, I will take a minute to defend her owners, if only in a very cursory way. We did graduate from a smaller boat, and we did do sailing classes. That said, we did buy the boat before we should have, but there was a good (timing-type) reason for that that I'm not going to go into. As for me, I kept thinking I could learn to love sailing, and it never happened. Maybe I died in a crappy sailboat in a former life. I have no idea, and I'm way past trying to figure it out.

The one thing that I really do want to clarify is that vertigo and seasickness are two different things. My husband has suffered from both. Seasickness he can tough out. Vertigo puts him flat on his back, for days. This has been a fairly new (in the last year or two) development. I think it's great when women are able to sail a boat on their own, as a usual thing or in the event of illness or incapacitation of the captain. I am not one of them.

PS About this emoticon to my right, spewing every ten seconds.... very realistic. I feel like I can smell the barf.
Old 02-10-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the clarification. My post was not meant as a criticism only a consoling comment. Good best wishes with your future plan B.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 02-11-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

This story, and knowing about the KP44s, meant I had to look. So very sorry you can't enjoy her the way you hoped to. I hope Trio gets some very good owners who really put sea miles under her keel. Best wishes for whatever adventures you find for the future; judging by the love and care you put into Trio, you'll do likewise in whatever you do.
Pat
Old 02-11-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Suzy's boat...
SuzySailor likes this.
Old 02-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Bummer on the need to sell. If I'd not just bought an Irwin 38 Center Cockpit this would have been a keeper.

Good luck selling her, and in your future adventures.
Old 02-11-2013
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Email sent.
Old 02-24-2013

Not sure who wrote the above post, but no one has made it here to even see this beautiful boat yet! Don't make me put her on eBay!!!

Last edited by SuzySailor; 02-24-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: wrong words