Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
"Free" Tartan 27' hull. NY/CT area.

Free boats are never really free and this one will not be free to whoever takes her because SHE HAS NO RIG (mast/boom/rigging). Whoever takes her will have to find appropriate mast, boom and rigging for this keel stepped pocket cruiser.

Here is the back story. This boat was found drifting in the western LI Sound about 2 years ago. The mooring pennant had parted. The authorities towed the boat to a local harbor and she has been kept at the municipal dock ever since. This boat survived hurricanes Sandy and Irene and is a bit of a thorn in the side of the local harbormaster. Why? The registration #'s on the boat do not match anything in any dmv database so they can't find the previous owner. I spoke to the harbormaster on the phone and he told me that he does not want any money for it - he just wants it GONE! Preferably towed away in a trailer. My guess is that $100 would seal the deal.

I saw this boat a few weeks ago tied up at the dock. She was floating nicely on her lines so it seems she must be relatively dry, with few leaks. She was likely built before 1972 so there is no hin # per se, only a hull #. I am told that the boat has been equipped with an inboard diesel engine which had to be a re-power as these boats all came with the Atomic 4 gasoline engine. She is actually a pretty good specimen of her kind - minus the missing rig. I have no idea what kind of gear is inside the boat or whether the engine readily starts.

For those unfamiliar with the Tartan 27' they were designed by the renown Sparkman & Stephens architects. They were first produced around 1963 up to about 1978 and there still are quite a few still sailing. It is a decent boat for it's era and even Jeff_H has said nice things about this model.

My only interest is to try to connect this boat with a new owner as I own a T27 myself. I'll speculate that it could cost someone between $3,000 to $4,000 to get a used mast, boom and get it rigged up. It will cost more than that if there are no sails with the boat. Hardly free in the end.

If anyone has a serious interest in this boat they should contact me through this thread or via PM. I will then direct you to the location where this boat can be found.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free" Tartan 27' hull. NY/CT area.

I hear only shady characters own Tartan 27's! They are pretty boats though, if it were only a bit bigger, I might jump but I think it would be tight to live one.
Old 04-10-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
My only interest is to try to connect this boat with a new owner as I own a T27 myself.
If it was me, I would get this boat for parts.
Old 04-10-2013
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I may be a fool for owning such an old boat but I am not fool enough to own 2 of them.

@Paul,
Yes, the T27 is a little small for what you intend. Now a T34 or T37 ...

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2013

Gboat is on a distinguished road

Is the boat still floating around? Or has some one pulled the trigger and used it for parts?
Old 10-01-2013
Tartan 27' owner

Go to Mamaroneck harbor and check for yourself. You can also call the Mamaroneck harbor master. The boat was tied up right outside his shack.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-01-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Yea, but Caleb lives in Manhattan, I believe, even if he stripped the parts off the boat, storage would be a killer.