Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013

Octar the Invincible is on a distinguished road
Tips for Enduring Brokers?

I am trying to buy a sailboat for the first time (My current boat was a gift.) and finding the brokers to be more of a hindrance than a help. I know what I want so I just need the brokers to let me look around, answer questions and then get my offer to the owner.

I don't understand why I have to play 20 questions, make multiple calls and/or emails pleading to see the boats. I've given up being annoyed by all the questions about my plans and financial standing. (Years of sailing and I am paying cash, but how is that their business? Just let me see the boat and answer my questions about repairs, please.) And why so rude? It's a boat, not a pissing contest. And why are they trying to talk me out of looking at the boat? I promise I don't take that long to look.

Yesterday, I talked to a broker on the phone, asking when he could show me a boat in the next two weekends. He said any time. I said I'd buy plane tickets and then call to set a firm time and date. I did. Now, 24 hours later, he's not available next weekend. I already bought plane tickets. Kind of hard not to be frustrated about that.

Am I really the only one to have this problem? Does everyone else really want to have a close personal relationship with these brokers? I just want them to get out of my way and stop wasting my time so I can get sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
I understand completely and I wouldn't be happy at all. You might have been a bit hasty in getting tickets before they responded in saying they can show the boat. I went through a few brokers when I bought my boat. I got sick of all the lies they told.

Towards the end I knew I was probably going to buy the boat I did get. The broker wouldn't show it to me again for some reason so I found a new broker. About a month after I did the original broker called me up to see if I was still looking. I told them I bought the one he couldn't show me again so thanks for giving his commission to another broker.

I ended up liking the last broker a bit better. He lied less... I'm not sure if a used car salesman is a step up or down from a boat broker.
Old 04-11-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips for Enduring Brokers?

No idea where you're looking, but you're clearly talking to the wrong brokers. I have always found the brokers that I dealt with to be quite willing to show me a boat. Though, I certainly wouldn't buy plane tickets without getting a firm appointment, at a specific time, to see the boat.

Yes, of course they ask some questions. They're trying to grease the skids for a sale. No one says that you have to answer anything that you don't want to.

Maybe you need to get some recommendations for good brokers in the area you're looking, and for the kind of boat you are looking for.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013

Furler is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips for Enduring Brokers?

A few years ago I bought plane tickets to view a boat based on information and pictures received from a broker in emails. Then he said he had received new pictures from the owner and was forwarding them to me. It was a different boat that clearly requiring work. I cancelled my trip and lost several hundred dollars. I feel sure the broker knew exactly what he was doing to entice me to the boat.

Never trust a broker selling a boat.

Tags
broker , buying my first boat