Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TQA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
UK documented boat

I am going to look at a boat, and the broker said it is "UK Documented" does anyone know how this will effect the sale? It is located and was purchased in the US and I believe it was previously documented in the US. It had been owned by a British citizen but he used it here in the US. I was thinking I should be able to use the bill of sale, and use that to register it here in New York, then go through the process of "un-deleting" the US documentation. Will I have to delete the UK documentation? I assume NY will not know it was even documented in the UK, so they will not likely care. But the US Coast Guard may. I would like to be able to take the boat out of the US so this could be an issue. I also would like to have it Documented so I do not have to put on the ugly NY state registration numbers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: UK documented boat

If the boat is still U.K. documented then you will need to de-flag it. You need to know what sort of title the boat was registered under. Do you have paperwork? Is there a prominently displayed sign in the boat reading "O.N xxxxxxxx, N.T. xx.yy" (That would be a Part I registration number)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

A UK registered vessel will be one of three types

Part 1

Part 3 also known as SSR [Small Ships Registration ]

Part 4 (bareboat charter)

Removal is simple and via this form http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/applicati...e_register.pdf
miatapaul likes this.
Old 04-28-2013

I have not seen the paperwork yet. I guess this is one reason the boat has been on the market, not that it looks that hard, it is just another step!
Old 04-28-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: UK documented boat

Admittedly, this info kind of dated, but I'll bet that the underlying problem is always similar...
Back in the distant '80's we imported a Canadian-built sailboat into the US. From BC to Oregon.
Oregon is a "full title" state, so our Marine Board needed the prior title, signed off, to create a new OR title.

I had none to give them since boats of that size did not require a BC title at that time.
I did have the bill of sale and the current pre-purchase survey that certified that the seller was the original purchaser. It took both of those documents to satisfy the OMB that the deal was all legit and then they created a new title for us.

It took a couple of letters and a phone call or two, but I knew that their official concern was inadvertantly creating a title for a stolen boat.
All I needed to do was convince them that my purchase was all Kosher, as it were...

So, while it took over a month instead of a week or two, it all worked out fine in the end.
We sailed that boat a LOT for a decade before selling it and hunting down the larger boat that we still are sailing now.
It seems like you should be able to do something like that to get your boat titled in the US.
Good luck,
Loren
Old 04-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Something could be a little fishy. While the UK citizen is not permitted to use the USCG documentation system, they could have registered and titled in NY. Makes me wonder if the boat was properly documented at all. Not saying it isn't, but it seems like one way to evade taxes and registrations by claiming she is from a foreign port. It could be perfectly legit, but be sure you use a professional to clear title, so you don't inherit any problems.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-29-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Unlikely to be anything fishy about a Pt 1 or 4 documented boat. The process is pretty rigorous. SSR on the other hand not so.
Old 04-29-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Why do you think I was asking about an O.N. and a tonnage value. Those are required for Part I and could therefore be easily checked prior to going ahead with the sale. The Part I requires that these 2 pieces of information are attached in a visible place in such a way that they are not easily removed (i.e. one-way screws or welded or the like).

Old 04-29-2013

It does have an SSR on the bow, I just noticed this on the listing photos, I assumed it was registration numbers, but did not look that closely at them. They were right there in front of my face all the time!