Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Buyers & Sellers Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Slooowwww Market

We've had our boat for sale now for about 3 weeks and so far have had exactly one call and one showing. I have it listed on my blog, on SailboatListings.com, SailingTexas, Yachtworld, and Craigslist. We're in no particular hurry, but I figured she'd move along right nicely since she's inexpensive and in very good condition.

Anyone else have thoughts on the $5k-$10k market?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Slooowwww Market

Patience, patience.
It took just under a year for my friend to sell his Mac 26S (in the NY market) for about half his asking price - advertised only on saboatlistings.com.
Craigslist was a waste of time.

With a gas engine (esp. Volvo) be prepared to be flexible with the price you may have to settle for.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

You've hit the sites I used to frequent when I was shopping. You might also list it in the classifieds here, though they don't seem to get many visits. CW's classifieds seem to have a lot more churn, which is good.

Up until Hurricane Sandy, the market on the East Coast was also very slow. I'd see most of the same boats in the fall that I saw in the spring. In fact, there are still some that are on the market from back when I was looking for my first boat in 2011.

I respectully disagree with Caleb - although I did look at the other sites you mentioned, I found more leads for decent boats on Craigslist than anywhere else. I do agree with him about pricing. You'll have to decide whether you're going to price low and hope for a quick sale, or price higher and expect the price to be dropped.

From what I saw last fall, good boats were on the market about 6-9 months. That was before Hurricane Sandy came through. Things are a bit better now in this area - I'd guess 3-6 months - but I'm sure if you're a seller it feels like an eternity.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-16-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Volvo parts prices AND gas - the worst of both worlds.

I wouldn't buy it for that reason even though it is a nicely kept boat.
Swest57 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The midwest is a tough market right now... for anything.
the $5-$10K market is tough because the boats are too old for financing, and if you have enough equity in your home to write a LOC check for a $10K boat, you can probably step up to $10-$15K.

Still you've only had it on the market for 3 weeks- don't get panicky yet. Make sure your ads emphasize the value.

Old 05-16-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

I remember reading all the anti-Volvo sentiment when I was researching this boat prior to purchase. I've had her for 6 years now and haven't had any issues. I've kept up with maintenance (oil, filter, plugs) and replaced the ignition points and condenser last year (ordered direct from Volvo for $18 and 3-day shipping). The only other thing I've ever done is replace the impeller annually, which is available for $15 on Amazon.

Maybe I've gotten lucky or maybe the Volvo stigma isn't as well-deserved as one might think. The MB10a was built by Marna Motor in Norway and sold in many countries as a Volvo. Amazingly, Marna Motor still makes the MB10a today and parts are readily available directly from them.

In any case, I hear what you are saying, but there just aren't many (any?) decent cruising sailboats with a diesel for less than $10k that don't need a considerable amount of work.

I've got mine priced according to the local competition, and I think she represents the best value for less than $10k. We're priced cheaper than most (if not all) of the other similar size/age sailboats that are in similar condition. I guess I just figured I've have the most action when the listings were new, but now I'm hoping that's not the case.

Old 05-16-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Patience, patience.
My friend's boat sold about 3 weeks ago so you may have already missed the early bird boat shoppers - people boating-up at the beginning of the season.
I got nothing but spam & scammers from the CL ads I placed. Not worth the hassle of posting weekly, IMO.
You have kept your boat in nice shape so now it is just a waiting game.

Perhaps not all Volvo engines deserve the stigma they get. If the parts for yours are readily available and not priced as if made of titanium then you are lucky. FWIW, I have an Atomic 4 gasoline engine, so gasoline does not scare me. Expensive parts do.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-16-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If you can get parts from someone other than Volvo I imagine it'll be O/K.

The market here is all over the place. Well priced good boats sit, while expensive very nice boats sell. I just bought my "next boat" and it wasn't even advertised. I ran an ad looking for a specific boat and got a call from an owner. I got a screaming deal on the exact boat I wanted, in very nice shape, completely outfitted for offshore. The owner never even advertised it and it sold - admittedly cheap but still...

From what I can see locally, the toughest sell is the 20-30 foot range but even there, PaulinVictoria just sold a nice C&C 24 for top $ after a couple of months on the market.

I guess all you can do is make sure the word is out there, in as many ways as possible, vary the pictures when you renew your ads and keep the boat clean and inviting. It'll sell but it might take some time. Your asking price certainly doesn't seem unreasonable from the perspective of this market area.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
.... I just bought my "next boat" and it wasn't even advertised.
Did I miss a memo?

Break out the pics.
jimgo likes this.

Old 05-16-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post

Anyone else have thoughts on the $5k-$10k market?
Your observations are correct. You might try listing it on eBay with a fairly high reserve price, just for the additional exposure. There are some more expensive sailboats there now.