Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road
Re: What Boat And Why

I don't think I would ever "live" on a boat, but I could see myself doing a fair amount of cruising. If we are talking extended distances, a Gunboat 66 would be my dream boat. If we are talking extended durations, I would probably go with a Hinckley Sou'Wester 70. I am rich in this imaginary scenario, right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavidanueva View Post
Being possessed of the vast knowledge each of you has on the topic of sailing, what boat would you choose for extended cruising and live-aboard, and why?
Where are you going with this question. As written it falls heavily into the 'how long is a piece of string? category.

We all have our preferences that reflect our tastes, budget, crew, experience, venue, and so on. The boat I would want, would probably not be the boat that someone else might want, and vice versa. If money were no object, she would almost by definition need to be custom to get the mix of features that I would like.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-03-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

For example, this boat is customized to someone's taste:

shanedennis and Minnesail like this.
Old 06-05-2013

sailortrash is on a distinguished road

Gunboat 66 fast passages huge room shallow draft with boards up. With twin engines I can handle it by myself if need be would be a lot of work though. I like some solitude but I also love to entertain when i get to port so the room would be nice. Nice and stable.
Old 06-05-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Our current boat, a Caliber 40LRC.

Well constructed, fast(for a cruising boat), pretty, excellent layout for a couple and occasional guests. It has real steps leading down the companionway, a nice sized pullman berth. 2 sleeping cabins each with it's own private head. Huge tankage(fuel-210, water-175, holding-100) and a reputation for world cruising. Great value.

Sails very well in all conditions with slab reef main and cutter rig. Many sail options to choose from. Points very well(35° apparent) and will out-sail any IP of comparable size. Sails well in heavy air. She will generally reach hull speed pointing in 12-14 kts. Light air performance is pretty good too.

Displacement about 23,000. 5.5' draft with a cut-away keel and a skeg hung rudder.

Many off-shore safety features like a rudder stuffing box dam, reinforced impact zones forward and the holding tank under the anchor locker acts as a collision bulkhead that can be holed without allowing water into the boat. All fuel and water tankage is built into the hull in 4 separate tanks that also act as below WL collision bulkheads that can be holed.

Light and airy below with 7 opening hatches and 12 opening portlights. 6'5" headroom. Small cockpit and nice swim platform with pull down ladder.

Downsides: Small nav station, no bridgedeck(must use hatch-boards off-shore)

My wife and I have lived aboard in Maine with our dog for nearly 3 years now. We spend every weekend we can out sailing from May 1st to December 1st. We are both tall(me 6' and my wife 5'10") and out dog is medium sized(60lbs). Plenty of room for us to be very comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-05-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

think all cruisers will answer their own boat or be actively looking for the "last boat". I just took delievery of my Outbound and write this as I'm flushing out the fresh water tanks. She is a total joy. Haven't slept on land since delievery. Features
wondeful sailor- averaged 8.3 and saw 11 9kt on trip up from Virginia. With solent, carbon pole, well thought out preventor system easy to stand solo watches. Went from single to double reef multiple times. With dutchman, single line reefing(low friction spec'd) reefing by yourself easy and not scary as you can do it from cockpit. Al winches powered. Interior a delight. Every thing your hand touches is solid teak. Been on 10 y.o. Outbounds and they look boat show new. 5 berths behind the mast and two in front. Although all berths have bungle boards or lee clothes found no need for them as off watch could always find a good place to sleep without them ( ran in 4-8'ers). More comfortable than my house. 200g water and 200g fuel placed under sole amidship. 800a house bank.Tanks fiberglass -epoxy coated inside and glassed to hull or integral to hull. 2 water, 4 fuel. No maintaince. No worries of corrossion like with metal tanks or cracking as with plastic. No keel bolts. Collision bulk 7' aft of bow. bow thusher tunnel forward of this bulkhead. We took nice hot showers during passage. Two heads. One for stateroom forward manual. One aft- electircal. Seperate large shower room with seperate drain. Two compressors one for frig on for freezer. AC and frig/freezer water cooled. Heat central hydronic webasto. Every detail perfect. every system reliable and low maintance. Throu hulls arranged with manifolds so less of them.I could go on for hours. Sorry it's just like I felt with my first true love except I know this one will last the rest of my life.
Old 06-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

.... but are you happy with her???

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-05-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: What Boat And Why

yup
Old 06-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

What boat and why?

answer: any boat because they are fun.

Bob's Blog ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
outbound (06-05-2013), SHNOOL (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
For example, this boat is customized to someone's taste:

Are they stepping the mast or raising the TV antenna?

Tags
best boat , liveaboard