SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   What Boat And Why (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/100063-what-boat-why.html)

lavidanueva 06-02-2013 01:21 AM

What Boat And Why

Being possessed of the vast knowledge each of you has on the topic of sailing, what boat would you choose for extended cruising and live-aboard, and why?

LinekinBayCD 06-02-2013 06:55 AM

Re: What Boat And Why

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavidanueva (Post 1038412)
Being possessed of the vast knowledge each of you has on the topic of sailing, what boat would you choose for extended cruising and live-aboard, and why?

Solo or wife with five kids, crossing oceans or coastal crusing, tight budget or unlimited.

This is the first boat that comes to mind just because she is so gorgeous.

Hodgdon Yachts, cold molded luxury yachts, Scheherazade, Antonisa, Yorel

Faster 06-02-2013 09:41 AM

.... and at the other end of the scale... Flicka!! because she can...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...pscb1daba6.jpg

Capt.aaron 06-02-2013 09:41 AM

If I were taking the wife and kids, or just the wife and visiting friends and family for an extended period of time, like years. I would get a big Cat. 50 something, with the four state rooms, the big salon, the four private baths etc. etc. the stability, the quick passages. You can't beat it. I've been sailing around and living on my 28 foot racer cruiser for well over 20 years and it's great for me and one other adventurous soul, but for the landlubbing counter parts, you can't go wrong with a Big Cat. It just cost's a dang fortune to buy, and slips are like double. But, if you anchor out and cut corners in other areas, it can be done. People are doing it so there's the proof. Now, on a budget more realistic to most of us. My second choice would be a big double ender like a west Snail or something, big and safe in a big sea and high winds, roomy, ya know. Forgiving. Again, this is for the extended comfy off shore cruise guy's. Not the round the bay, fast, gadget, coastal dudes with boats that are great new but crap in a decade, with out a total systems and structural out fit. Many people here will say how much they love there Catalinas and Hunter Passages. I don't buy it, but to each there own. My boat is 47 years old and in better shape than new. I know of some 30 year old west sails in the same shape as mine. Thick, hulled, tough, over sized well planed rigs from the Chain plates up. That's my penny's worth any way's.

dvuyxx 06-02-2013 03:37 PM

I've never sailed one, but big cats are pretty amazing in terms of accommodations and stability. There are purists that will say it's a different type of sailing. But if you're doing extended cruising your goal isn't to round racing buoys.

Capt.aaron 06-02-2013 04:02 PM

I think they are easier to sail. I single handed a smaller 30 foot one in Key West for years as a charter boat captain and the only real difference I found in sailing her was how much easier she was to sail and faster she was. Stable, easier to handle deck work etc.

Rhapsody-NS27 06-02-2013 04:41 PM

I would choose the boat I currently have, a Nor'sea 27.

It's a strong boat that can go just about anywhere. 4 of them have circumnavigated and others have gone on extensive cruising. Plenty of space for a couple people and lots of storage space. Very good following of current owners.

kwaltersmi 06-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavidanueva (Post 1038412)

Give me a budget and I'll layout my choices. Without being constrained by cost, I've got too many options!

shanedennis 06-03-2013 10:13 AM

We chose a Pacific Seacraft (Crealock) 34. When we went looking at boats we had an open mind. We just wanted something that could make the Coconut Milk Run for under US$80k. We lived in Minnesota where our choices were limited.

We went to Duluth to look at a Murray 33 steel cutter and a Tartan 37 and went home with a Pacific Seacraft 34. The difference in quality was too obvious for us to ignore. We paid $82.5k, spent another $10k on overdue maintenance, and sailed it around the west end of Lake Superior.

This spring we packed all our belongings and set sail for Australia. Happy as clams!!!!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

bobmcgov 06-03-2013 11:19 AM

New boats? Possibly the Norstar 40 or 44. They incorporate modern underwater shapes and beam carried aft with the topsides, stems, & reverse sterns of sexy IOR design. Top build quality. Something like a Najad, perhaps, if the focus was coastal or island hopping.

Older boats, maybe a Kelly Peterson 44; Sweden Yachts 42 with heavy interior mods; Royal Huisman alloy boat if you can find one. Anything Wauquiez, tho they are tight and dark by today's standards.