SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Sloop's "New" Cutter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/100129-sloops-new-cutter.html)

SloopJonB 06-04-2013 12:14 AM

Sloop's "New" Cutter

5 Attachment(s)
I finally got my "new" Fortune 30 cleaned up enough to show it to you folks so now I can tell the story - bear with me if I get a bit verbose - you all know how important a new boat is. ;)

It also gives a whole new perspective on everyone's favourite post asking where one can find an offshore boat for under $20K.

I've been hunting this boat since last fall and have looked at many boats including 1/2 dozen Fortunes - my first choice. I had an ad running in the local sources - CL, Kijiji etc asking if anyone had one for sale. I got a call from a woman saying her husband had one he wanted to sell and as soon as I saw some pics I knew I had a winner. It was pro built by a top local yard (Philbrooks) and was fully equipped for offshore - Hydro Vane, Radar, hard dink on S/S davits, towed generator, big solar panel, two drogues, 8 sails - some never out of the bags, big manual windlass, two anchors (Danforth & CQR), double headstay, big tankage, lead internal ballast, low hours 3 cyl. Yannie, etc. etc.

The boat was built to go offshore but was sold instead to the guy I bought it from. It has seen very little use by either previous owner. It seems to have been a pretty well loved dock queen since it has no serious flaws like wet deck areas or seized gear. There are lots of "disuse" items like filthy running rigging, chalked gelcoat etc but nothing major is wrong.

The best part - I'm into it for barely into 5 figures and once I sell off gear I don't want, like the davits, vane, Radar and drogues I figure I'll be well down into 4 figures for it.

They really are out there if you know what you want and are patient enough to undertake a serious hunt. I probably averaged 4 hours a day for 8 months hunting this one down. A little luck helps as well but I've always had that when it comes to the big things.

I'm attaching some pics but have to use JPG's so I'll do another post just to add the extra pics.

By the way, in the background of the first shot you can see my boats evil twin. That is actually the first one we looked at but it needed too much work for me. I'm not sure what to think of the Karmic implications of us ending up on the same dock like that. :)

As you've probably noticed, I'm very pumped. :D

bobperry 06-04-2013 12:19 AM

Re: Sloop's "New" Cutter

Congrats Jon.

SloopJonB 06-04-2013 12:20 AM

Sloop's New Cutter Part Deux

5 Attachment(s)
Here's more pics.

Faster 06-04-2013 12:26 AM

Congrats indeed.... btw I know you're 'pumped' but I don't think it rates two threads :p... I've merged them for you :)

chef2sail 06-04-2013 12:33 AM

Congrats Jon. She looks like a winner, great shape. Love the wood in he head.

Dave

bobmcgov 06-04-2013 12:34 AM

Nice Score, SJB. That's a boat with character to burn.:) The cockpit is not everyone's cuppa, tho how many boats let you work the wheel while sitting under your dodger? It's a reasonably small cockpit -- still, with the super-high coamings & lack of bridgedeck, are you concerned at all about water getting below?

We want some photos of you under sail, okay? Congrats on the purchase.

Rhapsody-NS27 06-04-2013 12:50 AM

Nice looking boat. ;)

Capt Len 06-04-2013 01:07 AM

Back before anyone connected Bob Fortune with boating I wrote an article to Wooden Boat about the merits of vacuum breaking the pump/spud on bowl hose.They politely wrote back that they had discussed the concept with Brydon Boy and saw no merit in the idea. (but they soon changed the installation drawings. Sloop , Nice boat,,, I see you got one in the head.

jackdale 06-04-2013 01:27 AM

Very nice. I was in Vancouver (Granville)on Wednesday..

I knocked on The Thane while in Victoria but Len must have been elsewhere.

Capt Len 06-04-2013 02:15 AM

Sorry I missed you, Jack. I've got a house and garden abuilding in Naniamo before the tourists get here in earnest so commuting.Incidentally Thane is listed with Pacific Boat Brokers as a turnkey business.