Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Sloop's "New" Cutter

I finally got my "new" Fortune 30 cleaned up enough to show it to you folks so now I can tell the story - bear with me if I get a bit verbose - you all know how important a new boat is.

It also gives a whole new perspective on everyone's favourite post asking where one can find an offshore boat for under $20K.

I've been hunting this boat since last fall and have looked at many boats including 1/2 dozen Fortunes - my first choice. I had an ad running in the local sources - CL, Kijiji etc asking if anyone had one for sale. I got a call from a woman saying her husband had one he wanted to sell and as soon as I saw some pics I knew I had a winner. It was pro built by a top local yard (Philbrooks) and was fully equipped for offshore - Hydro Vane, Radar, hard dink on S/S davits, towed generator, big solar panel, two drogues, 8 sails - some never out of the bags, big manual windlass, two anchors (Danforth & CQR), double headstay, big tankage, lead internal ballast, low hours 3 cyl. Yannie, etc. etc.

The boat was built to go offshore but was sold instead to the guy I bought it from. It has seen very little use by either previous owner. It seems to have been a pretty well loved dock queen since it has no serious flaws like wet deck areas or seized gear. There are lots of "disuse" items like filthy running rigging, chalked gelcoat etc but nothing major is wrong.

The best part - I'm into it for barely into 5 figures and once I sell off gear I don't want, like the davits, vane, Radar and drogues I figure I'll be well down into 4 figures for it.

They really are out there if you know what you want and are patient enough to undertake a serious hunt. I probably averaged 4 hours a day for 8 months hunting this one down. A little luck helps as well but I've always had that when it comes to the big things.

I'm attaching some pics but have to use JPG's so I'll do another post just to add the extra pics.

By the way, in the background of the first shot you can see my boats evil twin. That is actually the first one we looked at but it needed too much work for me. I'm not sure what to think of the Karmic implications of us ending up on the same dock like that.

As you've probably noticed, I'm very pumped.
Attached Thumbnails
Sloop's "New" Cutter-1.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-2.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-4.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-13.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-5.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Sloop's "New" Cutter

Congrats Jon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Sloop's New Cutter Part Deux

Here's more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Sloop's "New" Cutter-6.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-006.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-11.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-9.jpg   Sloop's "New" Cutter-12.jpg  

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Congrats indeed.... btw I know you're 'pumped' but I don't think it rates two threads ... I've merged them for you

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (06-04-2013)
Old 06-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Congrats Jon. She looks like a winner, great shape. Love the wood in he head.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (06-08-2013)
Old 06-03-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Nice Score, SJB. That's a boat with character to burn. The cockpit is not everyone's cuppa, tho how many boats let you work the wheel while sitting under your dodger? It's a reasonably small cockpit -- still, with the super-high coamings & lack of bridgedeck, are you concerned at all about water getting below?

We want some photos of you under sail, okay? Congrats on the purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobmcgov For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (06-08-2013)
Old 06-03-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Nice looking boat.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhapsody-NS27 For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (06-08-2013)
Old 06-04-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Back before anyone connected Bob Fortune with boating I wrote an article to Wooden Boat about the merits of vacuum breaking the pump/spud on bowl hose.They politely wrote back that they had discussed the concept with Brydon Boy and saw no merit in the idea. (but they soon changed the installation drawings. Sloop , Nice boat,,, I see you got one in the head.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Len For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (06-08-2013)
Old 06-04-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Very nice. I was in Vancouver (Granville)on Wednesday..

I knocked on The Thane while in Victoria but Len must have been elsewhere.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
The Following User Says Thank You to jackdale For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (06-08-2013)
Old 06-04-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Sorry I missed you, Jack. I've got a house and garden abuilding in Naniamo before the tourists get here in earnest so commuting.Incidentally Thane is listed with Pacific Boat Brokers as a turnkey business.